Paying off debt versus saving

Options
Just looking for a little advice

We have some credit card debts that we've moved to a 0% interest rate card and are paying this off monthly. I also have a Next account which is currently at £1500, was over £2000 in January so we've made good headway with this and I hope to have it clear by August and then will be closing the account!

My question is, I could pay off a little more of this debt each month (approximately £50) but that would mean not putting anything in savings! I'm really unsure which is the best way to go!

Any advice would be great!

Virtual Sealed Pot No.07

Comments

• sleepyjones
    sleepyjones Posts: 6,087 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 11 March 2018 at 12:09PM
    Options
    Are you saving for something in particular?

If it was me, I would put everything into debts, get everything paid off, close the accounts and then start saving when you're debt free, at which point you'll have no worries and you can make it up by doubling the savings contributions (ie ... if for example you were to pay off £100 per month into debts and £100 into savings ... you should just pay the £200 into debts, and then when they're clear you can start paying that £200 into savings).

More for piece of mind than anything else. It would also reflect on your credit file if you're making above the minimum payments on your debts (I think).

Put any extra money into the Next card though, over the credit card, since I assume the Next account isn't 0%.
  • riotlady
    riotlady Posts: 442 Forumite
    Options
    Do you have emergency savings? If not, I'd pay a little less on the debt and build up my emergency savings pot, otherwise if something unexpected strikes there's a good chance you'll have to take out credit again.

If you've got a little bit tucked away for an emergency, I would focus on throwing everything I could at the debt and saving once it's cleared.
  • sleepyjones
    Options
    On the off chance that an emergency savings scenario presents itself (ie, fridge blew up?) ... then you would have the 0% card that you could use in that scenario (it's not the best but what are the chances?).

The most important thing, for me, would be to clear the Next debt, since there'll be interest to pay on that?
  • RhiBi
    RhiBi Posts: 703 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks, yes there is interest on the Next account, I'm not sure of the APR, but the interest charged last month was £27.

We have a very small emergency fund, currently at £660. Whilst we're not saving for anything in particular, we do have a touring caravan so will be having breaks away in that.

I think paying the Next does need to be a priority though. Thanks for your replies :)
    Virtual Sealed Pot No.07
  • sleepyjones
    Options
    If it was me, and this might be bad advice ... I would chuck the £660 you have at the Next debt, it'll save you £10 a month in interest ish, which isn't a lot but it's more than you'll be getting in interest off it. Just get it paid off ASAP, maybe delay your first caravan holiday until around July in which time you'll hopefully have paid off that Next debt (or, at least most of it). You can always use your 0% card for spending and then put everything to pay that off after your holiday. To me, it makes more sense to use credit at 0% than to "stockpile" savings whilst paying interest on something else (if that makes sense).
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 March 2018 at 2:30PM
    Options
    RhiBi wrote: »
    Just looking for a little advice

We have some credit card debts that we've moved to a 0% interest rate card and are paying this off monthly. I also have a Next account which is currently at £1500, was over £2000 in January so we've made good headway with this and I hope to have it clear by August and then will be closing the account!

My question is, I could pay off a little more of this debt each month (approximately £50) but that would mean not putting anything in savings! I'm really unsure which is the best way to go!

Any advice would be great!

Once you have an emergency fund built up the thing that has the highest interest rate gets the money.

So if the rate of savings you can get is higher than the interest on your borrowing, as it would be with the 0% card, your money goes into savings:

£1000
    Savings is 5% a year interest - at the end of the year the £1000 balance is worth £1050
    Loan is 1.5% a year interest - at the end of the year £1000 balance is £1015
    Therefore you are £35 a year better off saving.

If the interest rate on the loan is higher than the interest rate on savings then your money goes on repaying the loan.

Savings is 1% a year interest - at the end of the year £1000 balance is worth £1010
    Loan is 10% a year interest - at the end of the year £1000 balance costs you £1100
    You are therefore £90 a year better off repaying £1000 of the loan.

It is as simple as that. In the case of multiple loans/credit cards the one with the highest interest gets the most money, minimum repayments made on the rest.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Next is expensive so I would prioritise paying that off but if you have no savings at all I would spend the next 6 months saving £50 a month to stop you being tempted to use a credit card in an emergency. Both are important but as next is expensive I think saving a smaller emergency fund initially is ok. After that is paid off you could prioritise saving for emergencies as the rest of the credit cards are 0%. The exception is if they are on short deals.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • telemarks
    telemarks Posts: 255 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    MSE advice for this one is simple ... don't save, pay off debt. https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/debt-help-plan
    you should first try to cut the cost of your debts where you can. Then use what savings you have to pay off as much as you can - but focusing on the remaining high interest rate debts.
    Thinking "surely I need my emergency cash fund"? Actually, that's old-fashioned logic. Read the guide linked below for a full explanation of why.
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/pay-off-debts
  • charolettepope
    Options
    My advise in your case would be NEVER PUT OFF SAVING. The idea behind saving is to get into the habit of saving. How much you save is secondary. Clearing the debt to become debt free is one thing. But if you give too much importance to it, trust me, you will be clearing debt always. Sorry to say like this, but thats how nature works. What you give importance for increases. So, in your case, I suggest you just put aside atleast £10 as savings while you pay off the debt. Now as you pay off the debt, you can continue saving with more amount of money. This way you can keep the blood flowing for saving.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure