PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Comments

• Need2bthrifty
    Need2bthrifty Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Morning All

Caronc sounds like you have everything under control for the party – is it your birthday?

PN – I’ve been chomping my way through the cakes I baked too, to the point where I feel quite lardy, ¾ of the fruit loaf and ½ of the carrot are now buried away at the back of the freezer and I’ve vowed not to touch anymore until I lose at least half a stone.

Food wise I’m having ½ grapefruit, slice of toast, cheese triangle, cucumber & tomato for breakfast. Then I’ll try and get as many miles in as I can before the rain arrives.

Maybe soup for lunch and some menu planning to be done later.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    kittie wrote: »
    ... charlatan ...

There are many who have lived their lives relying on others to provide ... and pushy ones who will "get in their first".

I've got nothing ... but it's all mine and paid for by me.

Some people just can't cope being "alone"... not sure why, they're missing out on gateau for breakfast and endless scoffing of crisps while wearing odd socks!
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Good morning everyone,
    MTSTM - I'd definitely take the cake to your voluntary work. I'm sure your co-workers will appreciate it.:)
    N2TBT - no it my son & Dad's birhday do. How did my "baby" get to be 25:eek:

We had the long awaited mince round last night. A pre-made one that I've had before and used to be good. This wasn't great, edible but not much more than that :(, will stick to home made in the future.

More cleaning and cooking for me today, I think I'm as organised as I can be. Our menu is:
    • piri piri pulled pork
    • tandoori spatchcock chicken (tandoori salmon for the pesce)
    • herb roasted baby potatoes
    • spiced onions
    • halloumi & courgette bake
    • tzatziki
    • flat breads
    • salad
    My sister & cousin are organising dessert and cake so I don't have to worry about that. :D
  • There are many who have lived their lives relying on others to provide ... and pushy ones who will "get in their first".

I've got nothing ... but it's all mine and paid for by me.

Some people just can't cope being "alone"... not sure why, they're missing out on gateau for breakfast and endless scoffing of crisps while wearing odd socks!

Well that much - ie re your first para. I can agree with. I've lost count over the years over the number of times I've seen someone hoping to benefit from someone else's efforts.

I was going to say "I was raised to think I was responsible for dealing with my own requirements" - but then thought "...and my brother must have been raised by different parents then.....":cool::cool: - as he's one of these people.....well at least I know what he's like and I'm under no illusions otherwise I suppose:cool:

Gateau for breakfast - nope...porridge with strawberries (think I've just about eaten my way through the surplus from last years crop by now), followed by sourdough toast (yep...I was being too lazy to make my own bread during the week....:rotfl:).

Right - time to get the show on the road for that voluntary work and someone coming later to pick up summat else I'm giving away to a stranger .....
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I had intended to go to a jumble sale this morning .... because you feel you should "go out" occasionally, but struggle to think of a single place to go that you've not been to before - and, once you've been somewhere you've mostly "seen that, no need to go again".... so when I'd seen a jumble sale advertised (and free entry) I thought "I love jumble sales and you never see them these days", so it was pencilled in.

But the morning's cold, wet, rainy, nasty, uninviting, gloomy and miserable .... so I stayed in instead and had a toasted muffin, beans and scrambled eggs for brekky :)
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,215 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Right - now thought for the day. Shall I get that cake-I-dont-want out of the freezer and take it along for refreshments at voluntary work time today? Could be a plan....

If you've not already gone out, do it, I think your fellow volunteers will enjoy it as much as we did our free cake yesterday. Cake is always welcome

Up early, prepped the s/c beef stew, which is now bubbling away, sans cat "baby";) sitting on top

Raining, but had to stay in waiting for the parcel. Stop Press, it has just arrived, still raining so I'll sit tight for the day,sniffing the stew smell from the kitchen, and maybe watch my recorded GW

Breakfast was jumbo oat porridge, with HM yoghurt & honey

Lunch, I think will be grilled cheese on toast, with some piccalilli

Dinner, bung dumplings in SC stew and we are go at Farway Towers
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 10 March 2018 at 12:20PM
    Mr AP this business with your neighbour might be because she is not good at reading signals - or lack of them - and some people just lack any sort of sensitivity. Also, maybe French people are a little more forward in this regard? But good on you for your honest and forthright response. I should have adopted your approach in dealing with some of my own confrontations.
    The worst was when a friend was in hospital having a pacemaker fitted after long-standing heart problems. Her husband 'phoned me one night saying that 'the well had been a bit dry for a while now and how about he come over?' (he actually put it in rather cruder terms). I was shocked and advised him to get along to the newsagents and 'buy himself a magazine off the top rack'. Which was smart enough for an off the cuff response I guess, but I wish now I had called him out for being the worthless jerk he was. Consequently I avoided visiting them for a while and she died shortly after so I regret staying away. He was shacked up in no time with a replacement and the adult children left home in disgust.
    I also wish I had taken aside my cousin's husband who was rather too touchy feely - and in front of her! She just laughed it off but I knew - and he knew that I knew - the difference.
    Anyhow back to food. Last night was the third day of my pork joint and I don't like to let a joint go to the fourth day. So me and the family dog shared it. Actually we both had the same - pork, risotto rice and green beans. But mine also had a home made sweet chilli sauce, ginger, spring onion, pointy red pepper and a dribbling of sesame oil.
    Plus there was more meat in my dish ;)
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post

But the morning's cold, wet, rainy, nasty, uninviting, gloomy and miserable .... so I stayed in instead and had a toasted muffin, beans and scrambled eggs for brekky :)
    Naughty cooked brunch here too, it was delicious :D
    Farway wrote: »
    Up early, prepped the s/c beef stew, which is now bubbling away, sans cat "baby";) sitting on top

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:Perhaps if you leave the door open a local moggie might oblige :cool:
  • Elona_2
    Elona_2 Posts: 361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Having just got the gist of some of the comments made that I missed last night I was going to say I understand why some people are single . (Only referring to the insensitive, flippant and hurtful poster as all the people on here have been lovely whatever their status.)

I am sorry Mr AP has been insulted as he does not deserve it nor did he initiate any of it.

Just waiting for middle dd and bf to pick me up as they are taking me to lunch for Mother's day as they are away tomorrow. Oldest dd and her husband are taking me out tomorrow so it looks like a packed weekend especially as Monday is the U3A vintage film afternoon.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 10 March 2018 at 1:11PM
    Well - I didnt take the cake - and just as well.

I walked over there/did an hours litterpicking/walked back again. Sacks of litter can be pretty heavy to carry it seems. Only a small group of us today - courtesy, I guess, of the Welsh weather (rain - again:() and no-one was hanging around because of that.

Who needs exercise programs if you've moved to an area where one of your first reactions was "Look at all that litter:eek:. Just why?" It's getting to look more "normal" gradually....(ie not much litter) - though it's disheartening seeing an area you've cleared with a couple of new bits having appeared since then:cool:.

Well-deserved mug of coffee and then I'll think about food for the day. Only got as far as hauling the last of my most recent batch of home-made soup out of the freezer - so it'll be defrosted in time for one of today's meals (probably dinner). Has feeling one of my default cba dishes (ie roasted vegetables) might be on the horizon again - perhaps with couscous.

Pineapple - I know what you mean re friends husbands sometimes trying it on. It happens. Have had that happen to me a couple of times. One time was quite some time back now (and admitted he was ditto from a "very different culture" - ie allowed several wives if he wanted). With her being from that same culture and it was an "arranged marriage" she took it quite philosophically when I commented on what he was like - and we then both "plotted together" and set him up for a fall between us (based on his meanness). Didn't we both sit there with barely-suppressed giggles as we did so. One can't be the same with a fellow British woman (I'd expect a very different reaction from someone the same nationality as myself - and therefore not an arranged marriage). If it happens - you just keep your mouth shut and put her husband on "freeze mode" or "pretend it didn't happen" mode.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback