DPF Hell Van On Finance

Comments

• motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    arcon5 wrote: »
    If they can't see it's been done they can't fail it

Exactly, although is there not an element of smoke test now?

A diesel engine without a DPF wont be smokey but it could be due to wear on injectors etc, that a working DPF would otherwise hide.
  • nubbz
    nubbz Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Get it fixed and sell it?

I know it sucks but these new vans need decent runs.
    I work for a parcel firm and this is a huge issue for a lot of the guys in Peugeots due to the stop start driving.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You bought the van in April last year - but was it new at the time? If not, how old?

It's entirely possible that your DPF problems are due to the filter being fairly well clagged beforehand. Monthly clean-outs on a van used locally sound massively excessive.
  • fwor
    fwor Posts: 6,809 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    arcon5 wrote: »
    Have the dpf gutted and mapped out of the ecu. Probably looking at the best part of £500 though but cheaper than a dpf

That could prove to be a very costly mistake.

Until we know exactly how strict the tighter new MOT rules on particulates are going to be, nobody should consider this.

You can't "ungut" a gutted DPF - so if you have to reinstate your gutted one it's likely to be very expensive. New DPFs can be shockingly expensive, and the prices of secondhand ones are likely to go through the roof if the new rules turn out to be really strict.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    motorguy wrote: »
    Exactly, although is there not an element of smoke test now?

A diesel engine without a DPF wont be smokey but it could be due to wear on injectors etc, that a working DPF would otherwise hide.

If you give it a good thrash and they MOT it with the engine still hot it maybe OK.

But from whats been mentioned any smoke emitted will be a fail.

But they have added several things to the MOT and had to remove them before, so who knows?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    You don't need to take it on a run every few days, even just once a fortnight or once every three weeks or so for a 40/50 minute run will do. My Mondeo does a regeneration once every 400 miles to give you some idea of how often it should be taken on a run to do one.

The finance company and Evans Halshaw are correct in that there is no fault other than that caused by you not ever doing a single journey long enough where the van gets a chance to do an automatic regeneration.
    motorguy wrote:
    It is by no means a foregone conclusion that a car / van with a gutted DPF will fail an MOT / PSV.
    Yeah actually it is given the MOT test is being altered so that no visible smoke whatsoever can be emitted during the MOT, something which a car that is supposed to have a DPF fitted and doesn't will not be capable of managing.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Tarambor wrote: »
    Yeah actually it is given the MOT test is being altered so that no visible smoke whatsoever can be emitted during the MOT, something which a car that is supposed to have a DPF fitted and doesn't will not be capable of managing.

A diesel car doesnt smoke just because it has no DPF. There would need to be other factors - such as worn injectors, worn pump, etc.

I'd a Jag X Type 2.2D that was just pre DPF (2005) and even with 100,000 miles it didnt smoke, because it had been well maintained and well serviced.

Therefore as i said, it is by no means a foregone conclusion that a car with a gutted DPF is going to fail.

Also, factor in to that that its a visual test and theres room for "interpretation" depending on the MOT centre.
  • Thanks all food for thought I have just taken it on a run down the motorway (sorry its a vivaro by the way 2014 ) I did it twice as my dash warning light says check emissions so in all I have covered 78 miles and it still has warning light, although at one point it changed to STOP injection fault. Is it me am I missing the point? when I grafted my nuts off to buy a van I just expected it to run ok and am now told I need to go for a drive down the motorway every few weeks. I work on my own and work for every penny, honestly used quite a lot of diesel today driving down the motorway in icy conditions not to mention having to take all the materials off my van roof and check tyre pressures, really don't see how I can afford to do this every few weeks, plus hasn't worked.
  • Am I right in thinking the DPF thing is designed to cut down on emissions ? Are they really telling me to drive it more?
  • Will try the fuel thing by the way thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport