PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What are the meals you have never tried /cooked for what ever reason

Comments

• MsLdn
    MsLdn Posts: 22 Forumite
    I'm allergic to prawns and so worry I'll be allergic to other seafood. Consequently I've never even tried crab, lobster or any shellfish. I've also never tried mussels or oysters, they just really don't appeal to me! I don't eat meat, but I used to cook and eat it quite happily once. Not offal though! Can't think of any particular aversions to vegetables, but my partner hates mushrooms and peppers so I rarely get to cook or eat them. Spinach I LOVE. And olives, esp. kalamata olives.
  • juliettet
    juliettet Posts: 726 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I'm veggie too but my quirks are many.
    Risotto can be a option on a menu but needs to be really well flavoured with herbs and butter. Can be insipid.
    White sauce or hot milk can make me feel sick although I love cheese sauce. I put in a lot of cheese.Also love rice pudding and custard. I know hot milk!
    Tofu. Disgusting stuff.
    Quorn. Needs careful cooking. I make probably once a month a Quorn curry.
    Pasta with aubergine.
    Okra. Yuk
    I like pure flavours. Really have a cheek to come on this thread as I hate thrown together recipes. My Mother said I was a nightmare.
    Probably could think of a lot more.
    I do love spinach and butternut squash though.
  • I've been a vegetarian since I was 11, so there are whole aisles of meat and fish that I've never tasted as they didn't exist in my childhood; game, fancy fish like bass, chorizo, pulled pork whatever that is (looks like a surgical procedure gone wrong). I hated the taste of meat and fish so don't feel I'm missing out. A lot of vegetarian versions of meat dishes are very unappealing; eg wellington (looks really heavy), fake steaks, fake bacon, fake Scotch Eggs etc (maybe because I never liked the meat originals).

I eat pretty much all vegetables and am open to all different cuisines, except French (not veggie-friendly at all). I don't bother with risotto as I find it stodgy and dull after the first couple of mouthfuls. Got a recipe for vegetarian gravy, but not sure I'd ever bother when I like the instant granules.

Re butternut squash, I can see that it's a visually imposing vegetable that looks like a lot of hassle, but it's fanstastic value if you have the space to grow from seed. You can get an awful lot of meals out of one (my first was about 3 times the size of the supermarket wimps); spicy soup, curries, fajitas, stews etc.

Also re Chinese, don't be put off if you've had a nasty takeaway. I work with a lot of Chinese researchers, one told me in his region they find the concept of sweet and sour disgusting, and flavour their dishes with much more subtlety. A stir fry is a great way to use up veg and is a lighter meal in hot weather.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • MsLdn
    I'm pescatarian, I guess - I eat fish but only very rarely. Haven't eaten meat for over 15 years. But I'm not keen on tofu, or quorn so don't generally eat fake meat products, the only exception being veggie sausages. I don't really understand the whole fake meat thing or who it appeals to, when there's so many delicious things you can make with veggies, pulses & nuts. Oh yes, okra - yuk!
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Somebody's mention of jelly reminded me of pork pies - don't like pork pies with loads of jelly. Particularly cold from the fridge. Not good.

Not keen on fish other than cod, will eat prawns as in small ones like you get in a prawn cocktail, but nothing involving cracking shells open. Quite like crab, prefer the brown meat to the white.

Sushi - absolutely no. Raw fish of any sort, yuck. Tried a smorgasboard once, never again.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• MsLdn
    Yes, I tried sushi once, too. First and last time, never again! The one I tried didn't even have fish in it but there was something in it that my tastebuds just did not agree with ... think it was the seaweed stuff that the rice etc. was wrapped up in.
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Tripe; eels (jellied or au natural); any kind of awful...sorry, offal; belly pork (if the dog used to refuse it, it can't be edible); and Green's Carmelle dessert.
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,707 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    JackieO wrote: »
    Who remembers back in the late 1960s those awful tins of pink Olde Oak Ham that were sold at Christmas full of gelatine, yuk. :)

Jackie, you can still get it! I think it's about £3 a tin. I have an older cousin who used to live in S.Africa and when he came home to visit he would bring us all a tin of their ham. What a difference, it was gorgeous. And another one I never liked was the tinned crab that had too many bones in it and tasted nothing like a fresh crab.

These are my lists:

Don’t mind but think they’re over-rated: Spinach, asparagus, sweet potato

Foods I have tried but wouldn’t have again: Parsnips, butternut squash, aubergine, kippers (too many bones) or any other smoked fish, blue cheese (tastes like soap to me), haggis, whelks (too chewy), jellied eels (bones again) and tripe (bland and tasteless), pigs’ cheek

Foods I’ve never had - mainly because I don’t know what to do with them - but wouldn’t rule out unless I’d tried them: Celeriac, fennel, artichoke, pumpkin, okra, tofu, quorn

Foods I’ve never had, nor would I be tempted to even try: Sushi, oysters, olives, chitterlings, pigs’ trotters, sweetbreads

I don’t like celery or pineapple in their “raw” state but don’t mind them when they’re cooked as an ingredient in a meal.

As for tripe, my late DF used to like it cooked in milk with onions and DH likes it raw with vinegar and pepper but it’s not for me however it’s presented. Yuk.

When I was first married, DH once brought home half a cow heel to go in a big pan of stew. I wasn’t keen on the idea but have to admit it was the best stew I’ve ever had! It completely dissolved, leaving just the bone to fish out, and made the gravy thick and tasty. Next day the stew that was left had gone so solid you could cut it with a knife. Until recently, we had a stall in the market where you could get this, as well as tripe etc. DH mourns its demise but secretly I was happy to see it go! ;)
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,138 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    juliettet wrote: »
    I'm veggie too but my quirks are many.
    Risotto can be a option on a menu but needs to be really well flavoured with herbs and butter. Can be insipid.
    White sauce or hot milk can make me feel sick although I love cheese sauce. I put in a lot of cheese.Also love rice pudding and custard. I know hot milk!
    Tofu. Disgusting stuff.
    Quorn. Needs careful cooking. I make probably once a month a Quorn curry.
    Pasta with aubergine.
    Okra. Yuk
    I like pure flavours. Really have a cheek to come on this thread as I hate thrown together recipes. My Mother said I was a nightmare.
    Probably could think of a lot more.
    I do love spinach and butternut squash though.
    My teenage DD has been veggie for a year. Went to school a meat eater and came home saying she wasn't one (no prior warning!). That lasted 3 days, then she tried again a month later and stuck to it. At first I insisted she was pescatarian (you know so she could eat something whilst we established the vegetables she actually liked!) then she changed to being vegetarian a few months later. Fussy as a meat eater, I haven't seen much difference as a vegetarain. Doesn't like cooked cheese (except in a toasted sandwich) mushrooms or spiced food - things that many veggie meals are baed on. Quorn is a mixed bag, seems to like some white meat versions and not dark meat ones. Tofu haven't even gone there. Finally have 2 lots of veggie sausages she likes (Linda M and cauldron). I'm with your Mum:p Can't wait for my DD to be a self managing adult for her meals. :D
  • gonebust
    gonebust Posts: 170 Forumite
    Omg. I must be a complete gannet because the only things on all your posts that I agree with are tripe, jellied eels and caviar , and that's because yes I've tried them, and still gag at the thought of them lol

I avoid some foods because I don't like the texture, mash, custard, milk puddings all spring to mind. Yet I will eat them if I'm served them elsewhere There's also a lot of veg I don't like but I still get it in me by hook or crook. I find cooking it differently helps, like I'm not fussed on cauliflower but it great braised in oyster sauce and acceptable in a cheese sauce
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure