Plastering and decorating quote, reasonable?

Hi,

I'm in London, zone 3. I'd like to get a large-ish (3.5 x 4 metres) and a small-ish (2.7 x 3 metres) rooms completely gutted and redone. Both rooms are circa 2.8 metres high.

Large room: Remove old wallpaper. Replaster all four walls (not ceiling other than making good), rip out old MDF built in cabinets, restore fireplace area (we supply new fireplace), new skirting, new coving, new light pendant. New power sockets (x2 doubles) +new light switch (wiring is fine, pattress only). Existing original wooden floors sanded and done up.

Small room: Remove old wallpaper. Replaster all four walls, take out plastic ceiling and put in new, new skirting, new coving, new light pendant. New power socket +new light switch (wiring is fine, pattress only). Existing original wooden floors sanded and done up.

Building materials to be supplied by builder (e.g. coving, skirting, plaster materials), we supply pendants, pattresses.

What sort of price would be reasonable? Current quote is £4,100

Comments

• Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    It's not the cost of the materials, it's the labour. Did the quote say how long the job would take and how many workmen would be involved?
  • Annie1960
    Annie1960 Posts: 3,003 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    What area are you inas this can make a difference to labour rates?

In any case, get two more quotes.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Annie1960 wrote: »
    What area are you inas this can make a difference to labour rates?

In any case, get two more quotes.
    The OP has already told us:
    shawz007 wrote: »
    I'm in London, zone 3.
    ;)
  • shawz007
    shawz007 Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Looks to be the main guy, an assistant, and an electrician. No job time yet specified.
  • shawz007
    First Anniversary
    Catford, SE London to be more precise
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Sounds like rather a lot to me. We just paid £190 to have a ceiling skimmed in a room about the size of your larger one, and we're also in SE London (Zone 5). That took a whole day, so your quote would pay for about 20 days of the guy that did our ceiling.

You'll probably find it cheaper (but more hassle) to get a separate tradesperson in to do each part of the job.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • konark
    konark Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    Surely you can take the old paper off and rip out the mdf cabinets yourself.
  • shawz007
    First Anniversary
    konark wrote: »
    Surely you can take the old paper off and rip out the mdf cabinets yourself.

No, I can't
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Holiday Haggler
    edited 13 June 2017 at 10:50AM
    shawz007 wrote: »
    No, I can't

The wallpaper will come away if you get a scraper and water spray. I did this for all the ceilings in my house and a lot of the wallpaper.

It's your money, but it's not too hard to do

How do you even know it'll need replastering if it's wallpapered? I notice you've not included painting the plastered walls.

Even switching plug sockets and switches is easy and quick to do yourself if the connections are all 'like for like'. It's a handy skill to have since they can sometimes break over time.
  • tonyh66
    tonyh66 Posts: 1,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The wallpaper will come away if you get a scraper and water spray. I did this for all the ceilings in my house and a lot of the wallpaper.

It's your money, but it's not too hard to do

How do you even know it'll need replastering if it's wallpapered? I notice you've not included painting the plastered walls.

Even switching plug sockets and switches is easy and quick to do yourself if the connections are all 'like for like'. It's a handy skill to have since they can sometimes break over time.

The OP might have mobility issues or other reasons why they can't do it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure