Protecting pensions from politicians - or preparing for a Labour coalition

It is not hard to remember Gordon Brown's first tax raid - his pension tax was one of the big reason that final salary pensions were stopped and many existing schemes are underfunded.

I can't see the much further left Momentum crew not planning something much more draconian - especially as higher taxes for top earners would otherwise see even more incentives for income diversion into pensions. And of course his backers in the public sector unions are protected with the only remaining final salary schemes so a win win for the union barons.

So highly likely is a removal of higher rate tax relief
Also likely is a reduction in the lifetime allowance and no indexation

What else?
The high annual isa allowance could be cut (ordinary people can't save 20k pa) and the lifetime isa helping those who can save doesn't really fit with Labour values.

And what about the tax free lump sum, doesn't seem very progressive so could it he stopped altogether or perhaps capped at say 50k

And if things go badly weong how about the Hungarian example where private pension pots were 'nationalised' i.e. confiscated.

So what is the answer - stuff isas now? Bitcoin and physical gold?!
I think....

Comments

• realaledrinker
    realaledrinker Posts: 1,661 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    There again, all that lovely lolly that you have accumulated will go towards your care home fees, other than a paltry £100K. Who's laffin now?
    Ethical moneysaver
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 27,984 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    There again, all that lovely lolly that you have accumulated will go towards your care home fees, other than a paltry £100K. Who's laffin now?
    You are right of course. Might as well spend it as you earn it on 'hos and blow and then other people's kids and grand kids will support you post retirement.
    I think....
  • alewin
    alewin Posts: 177 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post

At the moment you can only keep £23,250 of your savings to pass on if you are in a Care Home.
    If the Conservatives win again it will rise to £100K, so hopefully I will be laughing.
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    If Labour win, I will ask my financial advisor to organise my assets into an account on the Isle of Man.

I'm already drawing Pensions - State and LGPS.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    edited 3 June 2017 at 6:58AM
    alewin wrote: »
    At the moment you can only keep £23,250 of your savings to pass on if you are in a Care Home.
    If the Conservatives win again it will rise to £100K, so hopefully I will be laughing.

...... contemplating life as a "benefits scrounger" whilst waiting for your overworked minimum wage carer to change your pad before settling you down in front of daytime TV.
  • hyubh
    hyubh Posts: 3,530 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    michaels wrote: »
    It is not hard to remember Gordon Brown's first tax raid - his pension tax was one of the big reason that final salary pensions were stopped and many existing schemes are underfunded.

Er, no it wasn't.
    So what is the answer - stuff isas now? Bitcoin and physical gold?!

Hopefully we have an entertaining thread on our hands!
  • hyubh
    hyubh Posts: 3,530 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If Labour win, I will ask my financial advisor to organise my assets into an account on the Isle of Man.

Dare I ask, where do you think the money for state and LGPS pensions either directly or ultimately comes from...?
  • WobblyDog
    WobblyDog Posts: 512 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I reckon the current salary sacrifice arrangements for pension contributions would be an obvious target for any new government looking to increase taxes. I think it's also the only useful tax-reduction technique available to most middle-income single people, who I fear would be targeted by a future labour government anyway.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic

I thought the idea of having an IFA was for them to give you advice, so hopefully they will tell you not to be so silly.

Unless you are going to park yourself offshore as well, you are not going to benefit from moving you assets offshore, and unless you have everything in ISAs you could find yourself with a nice big CGT bill when you dispose of your UK assets.
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    hyubh wrote: »
    Dare I ask, where do you think the money for state and LGPS pensions either directly or ultimately comes from...?

I know where it comes from. I am well aware that all my income, and my husband's (State Pension and Teachers' Pension) comes from State Coffers - and indirectly from the British taxpayer (which we both are, on income).
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure