Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 28th May 08, 1:24 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    June 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 28th May 08, 1:24 AM
    June 2008 Grocery Challenge 28th May 08 at 1:24 AM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the sixth Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your March budget, then keep on posting in the May Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz

Wishing everyone a good month.

Pink

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 03-06-2008 at 4:50 PM.
Page 146
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 1st Jul 08, 10:29 AM
    • 9,158 Posts
    • 16,996 Thanks
    calleyw
    I don't think that I joined in before but my budget was £110 and I spent £80.

The saved £30 looks like it will have to be used tonight for shopping as I don't get paid until tomorrow

Will try £100 for July that is budget for food and cleaning products.

Alcohol etc comes from personal budgets.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
    • BigMummaF
    • By BigMummaF 1st Jul 08, 2:43 PM
    • 4,269 Posts
    • 32,002 Thanks
    BigMummaF
    Hey Guys...the July thread is well under way if you'd care to join us there

You'd better say yes, cuz I desperately need my keista kikkin to get me meal planning
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• mr and mrs t
    Hi all bit late but for june grocery challenge we spend £248.53, under budget for 1st time so maybe I can do better in JUly......

Regards, Mr and mrs t
  • TheBees
    In on Budget
    Mrs M,

We came in on Budget £350!

Please put us down for £340 for July.

The Bees
    Mortgage Free in 3 part 2 challenge - pay off £9000
    Sealed Pot Challenge 416 - target £500
    • debbym
    • By debbym 3rd Jul 08, 8:57 PM
    • 460 Posts
    • 2,747 Thanks
    debbym
    Thanks to Mr T's clubcard points and some moneyoff vouchers we made it just under budget.
    £388.98 for June
    £400 again for July
  • Brassic
    Hello! I'm really pleased - I've come the closest I have for ages!!
    June total is £387.80 - only 37 pound over.
    Same budget for July please - £350. I WILL make it this month!
    Debts @ lightbulb moment (13/06/2006) - £59,842.23 All commercial debts now clear!!! Debts April - £20,000 to family (incl extra £10k borrowed for house deposit). DFD - Aug 2014
    Proud to be dealing with my debts
    Goal of the month - £500 on groceries for family of 5 - Apr 2011 - £620! May - £454.85 so far.
  • Tesco-shopper
    June final amount
    I nearly made it - just over £10 over!

• Doris33
    Hi everyone. I'm a newbie. Was just looking at the site as I'm broke and need to cut down so I was looking for some advice. You lot sound amazing. I was planning to cut down my grocery shopping as I always seem to throw food away at the end of the week. I travel a lot with work so I only need food for the few days a week when I'm at home. Inspired by how little everyone else is planning to spend, I'm going to try to spend £50 from today until the end of July on groceries. OMG, can't belief I'm just about to post this! Help!
    • belfastgirl23
    • By belfastgirl23 7th Jul 08, 3:33 PM
    • 7,754 Posts
    • 15,598 Thanks
    belfastgirl23
    Hi Doris

Come on over to the July thread and get yourself added to the list - the July grocery challenge will be right at the top of the oldstyle page

And welcome!

• skintscotslass
    • By skintscotslass 7th Jul 08, 4:46 PM
    • 2,898 Posts
    • 45,257 Thanks
    skintscotslass
    declaring June's total at £98.82. Yey!!
    • Flylady_Flower
    • By Flylady_Flower 8th Jul 08, 8:54 AM
    • 2,853 Posts
    • 62,435 Thanks
    Flylady_Flower
    Hi everyone. I'm a newbie. Was just looking at the site as I'm broke and need to cut down so I was looking for some advice. You lot sound amazing. I was planning to cut down my grocery shopping as I always seem to throw food away at the end of the week. I travel a lot with work so I only need food for the few days a week when I'm at home. Inspired by how little everyone else is planning to spend, I'm going to try to spend £50 from today until the end of July on groceries. OMG, can't belief I'm just about to post this! Help!
    Originally posted by Doris33
    Hi Doris, you will find loads of help on this thread, but we are all on the July thread now - follow this link to join us http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1001527

If you want to set yourself a budget, just put it in red and then AngelNikki can pick it up and add it to the list. Look forward to seeing you there...
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
  • zarazara
    weezls thread is good for cheap and tasty recipes
    "The purpose of Life is to spread and create Happiness"
  • zarazara
    June = £247.68
    Target for July = to be less than £200
    "The purpose of Life is to spread and create Happiness"
    • Herewegoagain
    • By Herewegoagain 11th Jul 08, 1:54 AM
    • 2,370 Posts
    • 8,788 Thanks
    Herewegoagain
    Good luck to all you guys, you did well in june,roll on the july challenge
    lost 3stin 4mnths GC nov£90/£51.65 July£100/£97.67 Aug£90/£18.59
    LBM Nov05 Loan £4910.65 Paid April07 sealed pot challenge#256
    Nov06 CC £2,590.56 Paid aug07 + Savings07/08 Night Owl 22#
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
  • busy mum
    MILLIES COOKIES

3oz butter
    3oz granulated sugar
    3oz brown sugar (can just use all white granulated, works just fine)
    vanilla essence
    1 egg
    6oz s/r flour
    pinch salt
    4oz choc chips

Preheat oven to 180c.
    Mix all ingredients together.
    Put spoonfuls on greaseproof paper and cook for 11 mins precisely.

Cookies should still be soft when they come out of the oven, they will harden a bit.
    Peel off greaseproof when they cool.
    Originally posted by angelnikki

Just abou to make these, how many does this make???
    JULY G/C £50 WEEK

WEEK 1 = £69.50

WEEK 2 = £60.83
    Week 3 £72.05
    • angelnikki
    • By angelnikki 12th Jul 08, 12:20 PM
    • 892 Posts
    • 16,972 Thanks
    angelnikki
    Busy Mum - I've never made them so I'm not sure but I think people have said that you need to only place about 8 to 12 spoonfulls on each baking tray as they spread out. HTH

Nikki
    x
    • SmlSave
    • By SmlSave 7th Jul 09, 10:30 AM
    • 4,708 Posts
    • 16,616 Thanks
    SmlSave
    Hi, I'm very late posting but I managed £120.43 so almost £80 saved!
    Boy Smllet born 23/06/2011 and Girl Smllet born 01/03/2014

5 year challenge to pay off £20,000
    £350 per month challenge
    • AnW'sMum
    • By AnW'sMum 6th Aug 09, 9:01 PM
    • 4,418 Posts
    • 95,831 Thanks
    AnW'sMum
    Hi everyone

13 pages to catch up on, I will make a start but might not catch up totally tonight.

Wanted to post that toots is doing ok, pain is improving and her pc is almost online! She is hoping she might be back on tomorrow or sometime over the weekend. She has had lots of visitors/helpers so is now considering getting a revolving door in place of her front door

Also spoke to Jue, she has been asking after you all and will be home on Sunday.

Right, back to where I left off!
    Official Mascot and Chief Cheerleader for the 'Mortgage Free in Three' Gang
    • mumofjusttwo
    • By mumofjusttwo 6th Aug 09, 9:10 PM
    • 2,602 Posts
    • 40,789 Thanks
    mumofjusttwo
    hmm AnW have you posted this on the wrong thread by any chance?
    January Grocery 11/374
  • Hush-Puppy
    MILLIES COOKIES

3oz butter
    3oz granulated sugar
    3oz brown sugar (can just use all white granulated, works just fine)
    vanilla essence
    1 egg
    6oz s/r flour
    pinch salt
    4oz choc chips

Preheat oven to 180c.
    Mix all ingredients together.
    Put spoonfuls on greaseproof paper and cook for 11 mins precisely.

Cookies should still be soft when they come out of the oven, they will harden a bit.
    Peel off greaseproof when they cool.
    Originally posted by angelnikki

I've just made a double batch of this recipe (for the first time) using dark muscovado (sp?) sugar, vanilla extract & chopped up cooking chocolate ... Mmmmmmmmmmm! They are brilliant - definitely chewy in the middle and they smell and taste amazing! Thank you so much!

XXX
    "...Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate,
    but that we are powerful beyond measure".

- Nelson Mandela.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

197Posts Today

3,004Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • A brilliant and gripping profile of Boris Johnson by the great @JPonpolitics well worth the 15 minute read https://t.co/odelHYEbRg

• Boris Johnson is now going to be our prime minister. Worth a pause for thought, whatever your political persuasion.

• Boy they're dragging out this #conservativeleadership announcement.Three introducers now each grabbing air time. Get on with it please!

• Follow Martin