Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 28th May 08, 1:24 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    June 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 28th May 08, 1:24 AM
    June 2008 Grocery Challenge 28th May 08 at 1:24 AM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the sixth Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your March budget, then keep on posting in the May Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz

Wishing everyone a good month.

Pink

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 03-06-2008 at 4:50 PM.
Page 105
    • curly cabbage
    • By curly cabbage 18th Jun 08, 4:52 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 2,335 Thanks
    curly cabbage
    Show Jamie How To Cook On A Budget Champagne Contest Just found this great thread loads of menu ideas i'm sure many of you have already found it but for anybody like me who hasn't have a look.
    Toaday is my 4th NSD Tardaraaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!! Well chuffed with that. Just paid the bills on line so i don't have to go into town (near the shops). Bit gutted i found out today that Bellways Builders) havn't excepted my offer on their property of 20% less than asking price, since they would only offer me 20% below market valve for my house (seemed fair to me). Maybe it just isn'y ment to be...... Give the state of the mortages available and falling prices maybe i've had a lucky escape.

CC
    • Flylady_Flower
    • By Flylady_Flower 18th Jun 08, 6:13 PM
    • 2,853 Posts
    • 62,435 Thanks
    Flylady_Flower
    Show Jamie How To Cook On A Budget Champagne Contest Just found this great thread loads of menu ideas i'm sure many of you have already found it but for anybody like me who hasn't have a look.
    Toaday is my 4th NSD Tardaraaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!! Well chuffed with that. Just paid the bills on line so i don't have to go into town (near the shops). Bit gutted i found out today that Bellways Builders) havn't excepted my offer on their property of 20% less than asking price, since they would only offer me 20% below market valve for my house (seemed fair to me). Maybe it just isn'y ment to be...... Give the state of the mortages available and falling prices maybe i've had a lucky escape.

CC
    Originally posted by curly cabbage
    Thanks for the link, I've heard about it but not been on yet, so here's the push I need.

Sorry to hear about the new home - must be a reason, maybe something better around the corner? fingers crossed for you
    LBM April 2013 - 29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC 783.75
    Barclaycard CC 1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC 1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD 1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - 95.00 budget / spend -
  • jackk
    Just updating because i found a few receipts in my purse, it would seem ive spent too much, still 12 days to go till the new month starts booohooo.

Also after a phone call to my energy supplier re them putting up my direct debit, it transpires i'm using 118.00 worth of electric every month , i need to cut this down asap .

Jackie x
    • Sosh
    • By Sosh 18th Jun 08, 7:12 PM
    • 175 Posts
    • 2,459 Thanks
    Sosh
    Went to Mr A today and spent 33.06. I spent a bit more than planned as they have the 6 pack petit filous on 2 for 1.50. They normally cost 1.57 each and dd & ds both love them so I got 4 packs.
    Thanks to all the lovely people on here I have managed to cut my hours down to 2 days a week, allowing me to spend more time with my gorgeous Children.
  • smetf
    Hi all
    Sure lots of you know this already but if you go through quidco to mysupermarket.co.uk you can earn a fiver cash back.
    http://www.quidco.com/general-shopping/price-comparison/mysupermarket-co-uk/

I was impressed by how easy it was to use (uploaded all my favourites from Mr T) and the suggestions on where to save money were pretty good.

Hope it is useful for someone!

Not spent anything on groceries but treated dd1 and I to haircut 20

Smetf

• ifonlyitwaseasier
    • By ifonlyitwaseasier 18th Jun 08, 8:20 PM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 20,347 Thanks
    ifonlyitwaseasier
    evening folks,

stopped at m&s and got a massive pork joint for 5 instead of 10
    and some creme caramel for 50p for 2, yum yum yum, and as OH loves it i got two packs.

have updated my siggy.

and we got a second of those free boxes from moveme.com, so more free looroll and bounty kitchen roll and another uht milk and free coupon (i have too much milk!!)
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• Mrs Money Penny
    • By Mrs Money Penny 18th Jun 08, 8:27 PM
    • 729 Posts
    • 6,332 Thanks
    Mrs Money Penny
    Hi Everyone. Went to Mr S tonight only went in for chops & potatoes but ended up spending 41.39.:rolleyes: I did get quite a few reduced items a free range chicken for 3.50 and half price kieves and milk. So have put all that in the freezer. Have a good evening.
    MFIT Challenge save 40k
    48828.05/46842.89/-1985.16Mortgage neutral 03/19
  • linzmac
    Well I have gone over budget by 13.28 as of today, but I am not at all bothered coz as well as having stocked up on loads of half price cat and dog food at the beginning of the month I also now have enough food to last me until at least half way through next month!!

Popped into MrS at teatime to get some milk and came away with 46.23 worth of whoopsies (including 2x 500g packs of mince down from 1.89 to 60p, a lamb & veg puff pie down from 3.49 to 1.09 and a 1.4kg TTD beef topside/toprump roasting joint down from 14.36 to 5.50!) for 15.84!!!

Am sooooooooooo unbelieveably chuffed and couldn't wait to get on here and share coz I know you will all understand my excitement!

Have a 4 clubcard voucher for MrT and will use the voucher for free milk on the Bounty site that someone (annlouise?) mentioned earlier (thanks!) to get me to the end of the month without spending anymore and then will deduct overspend from next month's budget.

Had a yummy lentil, spinach and potato curry for tea and there is looooooads left so that will be another 2 meals at least so a saving there too! Am very happy with life tonight!

Take care everyone!
    Linz
    • galacticgreen
    • By galacticgreen 18th Jun 08, 9:08 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 1,456 Thanks
    galacticgreen
    Oh no, we've only got 8.70 left till the end of the month. We have spent money on sugar etc for our homemade wine and I have taken it off our grocery budget as if we get any drinkable wine, it will save us lots on our shopping budget!!
    Had to buy apples and milk tonight. Asda still doing 6pt x 2 for 3 which is great for us.
    Haven't posted much this month, but have been keeping up with the posts. Keep up the good work everyone
    • catznine
    • By catznine 18th Jun 08, 9:12 PM
    • 3,187 Posts
    • 24,544 Thanks
    catznine
    Veg box delivery day so another 12.80 off the total plus 6.80 on packed lunch supplies at the weekend. That leaves 83.65 until the end of the month, 1 more veg box delivery next week will bring it down to 70.85 which sounds plenty but I have just made an order to Goodness Direct for some bulk dried goods, we get through loads of oats and soya mince and lentils so that will be another 47 to pay! but should last us for ages! (23.85 left for everything else! )
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge 35.77/120
    • fluffysox
    • By fluffysox 18th Jun 08, 9:14 PM
    • 1,035 Posts
    • 8,800 Thanks
    fluffysox
    Hello everyone, well done to those who have come to the end of their month!
    No spend day today- fourth in a row- out all day on the shore with A-level field trip. We were all drenched- good fun though
    2016 MFW OPd 2000, 2015 MFW OPd 3000 then bought new bigger house with bigger mortgage.
    MFW OPd 2014 2000 2013 9700 2012 2848.39 2011 2509.58 2010 11000 2009 112002008 4939
    Beautiful boys born May 2011 and October 2013
  • Tesco-shopper
    Got a Tesco shop today, so have updated my signature. There are some decent fruit offers on at the moment, so am pleased with that. Have got LOADS of fruit now, so will have to eat very healthily now! Country Life spreadable butter is only 1.00 for 500g, so have stocked up on that.

• fertyskids
    Hi everyone,

got the breadmaker out of the garage but had no time to use it today.

spent hours baking cakes, blowing up bouncy castles, feeding the little ones etc.
    tommorrow dd 3rd birthday party and toddlers. fri off to the caravan. looking forward to it now. a little worried about the budget as we will go way over next week as i wont have my store cuboard or freezer and will have to buy everything even nappies as theres no room in the car. will have to try extra harder the week after to amke up for it.

spent 10 today in co -op was disgsuted at their prices i brought oil, marg, eggs and some baby foood to last a couple of days in the caravan. wont be going there again in a hurry. i do like the fact that they are a co-operative and are good for organic etc but just cant afford their prices.

anyway enough rabbling. off to bed. daughter will be up early .

oh i got her a barbie bike for 8.00 from a baby sale a few months ago. Also a coupe car for my son for 5. both in new condition.

so its been a very cheap birthday and she will be a very happy little girl. party food cost a total of 13.00 that included ingredients for cake, paper plates party bags and some toys (reduced) for pass the parcel.

so maybe things wont be as bad as i thought.
    karen
    • hollyh
    • By hollyh 18th Jun 08, 9:44 PM
    • 5,450 Posts
    • 114,936 Thanks
    hollyh
    Hi

I've not checked in for a while so i thought i better had. I'm not doing too badly. :rolleyes: I've spent 136.59 which leaves me with 13.41 for the rest of the month . I should just be able to scrape through if i'm really careful.
    • Flylady_Flower
    • By Flylady_Flower 18th Jun 08, 9:44 PM
    • 2,853 Posts
    • 62,435 Thanks
    Flylady_Flower
    I have just found this lovely recipe on the 'feed a family for 5 - jamie oliver challenge' Mrs M I know you like spinach so thought you might like this one too...

spinach and ricotta cannelloni

8 lasange sheets pre cooked (32p basic)
    250g ( 9oz ) fresh spinach (1.29)
    250g ( 9oz ) ricotta cheese (79p)
    1 large onion, finely chopped (11p)
    2-3 cloves of garlic, crushed (35p although priced as whole bulb)
    salt and freshly ground pepper (10p)
    500g sainsburys creamed tomatoes (29p)
    1 tablespoon of olive oil (about 20p)??
    125g mozzarella sliced (57p)

grand total 4.02 i know its high but its yummy

my shopping list all on sainsburys prices so could be done cheaper

1 wash spinach and cook gently
    2 put aside and let cool
    3 fry the onion and garlic gently
    4 chop the spinach fine
    5 now mix the ricotta, spinach, onion, garlic and seasoning together
    6 cook lasagne
    7 place mixuture onto the lasagne sheet then roll gently
    8 place in an ovenproof dish
    9 cover with creamed tomatoes
    10 place slice of mozzarella ontop
    11 cook in oven on 180 for 30-35 minutes
    12 you could serve with a crisp salad for an extra 69p
    enjoy
    pretz
    Originally posted by pretz
    The costs are on there because obviously everyone had to price their stuff, but gives a great idea of how much. some lovely recipes on there, thanks for the link Curly Cabbage!
    • Flylady_Flower
    • By Flylady_Flower 18th Jun 08, 9:47 PM
    • 2,853 Posts
    • 62,435 Thanks
    Flylady_Flower
    Whoo Hooo, just seen I've got two stars now!!!
    I'm a money saving stalwart not a convert any more....

Oooh I get excited over very simple things...
    • KAAT_LADY
    • By KAAT_LADY 19th Jun 08, 5:15 AM
    • 4,641 Posts
    • 35,524 Thanks
    KAAT_LADY
    Denise, I think that there are 2 Allinsons tins and I bought the wrong one! They look fairly similiar, but the one I bought is not suitable for use in a BM! Doh!!!

I was very bad last night and got a Chinese takeaway. However, I'm still under budget, thats probably why I weakened
    Originally posted by skintscotslass
    Good morning
    As you can see by the time I cant sleep I have been up for hours, I could do with a cuddle but the OH is still asleep and snoring like a trooper. I have my washer on and thought I would get it done and hopefully the weather will stay fine .

skintscotslass I did not know there were two different tubs of Allisons yeast, I wondered why my bread had suddenly gone flat :confused: but as soon as I put my specs on I saw why I had the wrong one for the BM, but last night I put in double the amount with a half a teaspoon of bicarb and hey presto my bread rose, so will use this up before I get the right one.

Well my washer has just stopped for the second time so I had better hang them out and hope the weather stays fine.

Not much damage from the winds last night except a few branches on our silver birch but other than that nothing that I can see.

Take care everyone
    Last edited by KAAT_LADY; 19-06-2008 at 5:25 AM.
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• mrs moneyspinner
    since I took up the challenge this month I have achieved zero - can't believe how expensive everything is getting and despite doing a massive online shop with my free MrTdelivery voucher have still 'popped out' for extras twice and it's only Thursday - can't bear to confess to this week's spend - ok I was about 40 over budget but did get enough meat and fish for the freezer to last next week as well - does that redeem me? - but what is good is that reading everyone elses posts boosts me up for another crack at it. I haven't been here for a week so got lots of posts to read up. Well done everyone.
    Life itself is the most wonderful fairy tale - Hans Christian Andersen
    2012 savings:remortgage 156.15pcm 5 pcm insurance reduced; 2012 Running totals: 10 goodwill requests/Grocery Coupons 12
    • Sunnyday
    • By Sunnyday 19th Jun 08, 6:43 AM
    • 3,892 Posts
    • 34,008 Thanks
    Sunnyday
    Morning everyone,
    i`ve not been posting much on this months thread cos i`ve had a bit of a manic month:rolleyes:

I`ve just popped on to update my siggy, there`s not very much left for this month but i`ve only a week to go now.
    I have got an extra fiver put to one side where it will stay unless i absolutely need it as i wasn`t going to spend the 30 to use the Morrisons voucher last week so i gave it to my dad, he used it and insisted i have the fiver so thats where it`s from. Good old dad!

I`m off to do next weeks meal plan and see how much i can buy for next to nowt
    Good luck peeps
    SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon
  • dink1
    another nsd planned!!!!
    Hi guys,

another nsd planned, 6 more needed to make the month. Can I do it I hear you shout? Feeling very panicky at the mo, what with petrol going up again, uniforms needed, gas going to go up again!!! is it just me? WHat a month. Still know we will be fine and am not batting off bailiffs! But still feelin kinda unsettled.

Mrs Moneyspinner - Hang in there things will get better (thats what i keep tellin myself) lol

Dink1
    JanGC 250/82 far:weight loss 1lb cc250/86/cm40/9.50
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,766Posts Today

8,363Users online

Martin's Twitter