PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How long does wine keep when opened?

Comments

• ChocClare wrote:
    Have you got(or can you b.b.b.buy (sorry to use the b-word)) a Vacuvin thing - it's sort of a hollow rubber cork, which you put in the bottle and then pump the air out of the bottle with a sort of...pump thing...!!!! I bet you wish you could describe things as well as me!!! Anyway, me and the old man have one small glass of wine most nights each and stick the rubber cork in the bottle meantime. The wine stays fresh and sweet (as opposed to stale and sour which it would undoubtedly be if it only had a normal cork in it). My uzzer 'alf eez French (well, half-French) and fussy about his wine, so it's worth investing if you can afford it. Here's a picture in case you're wondering what on EARTH I'm talking about! http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0001M0G06/qid=1128980227/sr=2-2/ref=sr_2_11_2/202-5637427-8497422

I think I have a couple of the stoppers, but having recently moved I'm still half in and half out of boxes. Along the lines of 'didn't I have....'! Then I go and buy whatever it was then find it. I'll have a look for the pump. In the shops - I'm certain I don't have that bit.

Thing is such a good word, goes with any... thing!! Sorry - couldn't resist!
  • frosty
    frosty Posts: 1,169
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I think you can freeze wine in ice cube trays,then add them to other drinks,or use them in recipes.
  • Another good way to store left over wine, if you going to use it to cook with, is to save empty wine vinegar bottles. Any leftover wine can be decanted in the wine vinegar bottle, which has a screw top, and is ready to add to stocks, stews etc.

We chuck all our "slops" of wine into old wine vinegar bottles .... one for red and one for white, but just keep topping them up with whatever's left over :)
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • nikkig_3
    nikkig_3 Posts: 142 Forumite
    why not buy the wine boxes? they last longer I think because no air is getting into them. and even when you think they are empty, if you take the box apart and take the bag out snip off the corner you usually get another glass full!
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    As a tee-totaller this is a toughie for me to answer :confused: .... :think: ....

:idea:

If you can't manage to finish it within 3 days, have no vacu stopper thingy ... and you forget to invite me over to give you emergency assistance ... (tough job, but someone has to do it :confused: ) then you can freeze it and use the wine cubes thus:

1) Add red wine iced cubes to gravies/stocks for red meat dishes
    2) Add white wine iced cubes to gravies/stocks for chicken and fish
    3) Add white wine iced cubes to .... freshly opened warm white wine
    4) Suck on one in hot weather/times of desperation

Other suggestions:

If white wine goes a little "sour" .. or you've opened the bottle and really don't like it - add a dash of "Kir" (a liquer) and it peps it up ;)

Red Wine: Add some lemonade (and a dash of lime if you have it) and you have a lovely Spanish drink ('Tinto Verano' or somesuch). Or make into Mulled Wine.

Edited to add: Oops, didn't read your post correctly .... only so much space in freezer .... :o ........... This calls for drastic action!!!

Have a party, invite every one from The Arms and we'll all come and solve your predicament for you :D :beer:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Queenie wrote:
    4) Suck on one in hot weather/times of desperation

This I like!

Some of the kind folks in the Arms are helping out with this, and I'm working on a new WOIP thing... Wine over IP.

I've thought about boxes, but I have a problem with bottles being on offer when I go shopping and an uncontrollable reflex of hand going to shelf!
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    lovinlife wrote:
    I've thought about boxes, but I have a problem with bottles being on offer when I go shopping and an uncontrollable reflex of hand going to shelf!

I take it you've not yet discovered the vouchers board where you can pick up codes for money off wine at Tesco's ;)

You'll be buying it by the case load then, let alone a few bottles :D
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Get a vacuvin - I use mine daily and it also means if i have fish one night I can open a bottle of white and then if I have lamb the next night I open a red, each bottle will keep for 3 or 4 days and then becomes the cooking wine in the unlikely event that it's not drunk by then.
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • I take it you've not yet discovered the vouchers board where you can pick up codes for money off wine at Tesco's ;)

You'll be buying it by the case load then, let alone a few bottles :D

I have seen these vouchers, but until I drink some of what I have got, I have nowhere to put more bottles! Even the tiny fuse-box cupboard has wine stashed in it!

Right, off to get a vacu-vin pump tonight! :D
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I always seem to have some red wine left over due to my complete inability to drink more than 2 glasses without falling over. My friend suggested freezing it in ice cube trays and then using a few whenever I'm doing some cooking. I use wine in bolognese, but I'm not sure what other dishes I could use it in bearing in mind I'm vegetarian. Has anyone got any suggestions?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure