Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 17th Oct 08, 2:34 PM
    • 8,706Posts
    • 19,307Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    First one to clear 15k gets a paper hat
    • 17th Oct 08, 2:34 PM
    First one to clear 15k gets a paper hat 17th Oct 08 at 2:34 PM
    Hello

Following on from a post of mine called "I need a friend" a whole new "competition/challenge" was borne.

Now lots of people on this site are FANTASTIC, their motivation, upbeat nature and budgetting skills are the envy of many, and then theres a few others...

Those who for one reason or another just cant get on top of that spending diary, who always find a "better" use for that extra bit of change, and who can always find an excuse to spend a fortune in Primark (maybe thats just me:confused: )

So we need motivating, we need a regular kick up the rear to get moving and we need someone/or many people to shout at us and say STAY OUT OF PRIMARK!(again might just be me!)

Now noone is being mean by shouting at another so leave your feelings at the door with your shoes.
    It takes a lot to be honest with yourself about whether or not you're doing all that you can, so I'm signing up for (well mannered) words of motivation, to see me get 15k of my outstanding debt paid off...

Day One : 17th October
    CAFCGirl reporting for duty...

WHOSE WITH ME?!

10 years and still don't have a clue what I'm doing

Trying to get by on a single Emergency Services income
    Fashion On The Ration Coupons 43\66 IT'S THE YARN
Page 3
  • Mike84
    Hey clearmy,

Bring it on!! Haha!!

Great minds do think alike CAFCgirl!

I'm just finishing work now so will speak to everyone later!
    First to £15k hat challenge!
    Debt £14,393 / £10.49
    Savings £607 / £0
    That hat is mine!!!
  • Mike84
    does moneybackmadness give you money for recommending a friend?

maybe someone would like to recommend me, and then I can recommend someone else etc? Be like a little round robin of recommendations
    Originally posted by CAFCGirl
    Yes it does CAFCgirl.

I will recommend you tonight, don't know what I have to do to do it but I'll let you know.
    Debt £14,393 / £10.49
    Savings £607 / £0
    That hat is mine!!!
    • clearmydebts
    • By clearmydebts 17th Oct 08, 4:33 PM
    • 6,093 Posts
    • 17,588 Thanks
    clearmydebts
    Think my first 1/2 of 2009 will be slow cos OH is in uni but wait til he leaves, I'll be forcing him into employment to get the debts down. Ha ha!
    Total debt (starting September 2016): €19,500/€27,000
    BOI credit card: €4,700/€7,000
    Loan:€14,800/
    Savings: €0
  • Briggsy.notts
    Thanks everyone for the advice about keeping up to date with payments. I will set a spreadsheet up now.

Just thinking surely by just taking my payments off won't work as there will be interest to add every month won't they? Therefore when I think I'm close to paying it off I won't be.
    Last edited by Briggsy.notts; 17-10-2008 at 4:36 PM.
    'Proud to be dealing with my debts'
    20p savers= £158.00 DFW Nerd #1061
    Nectar points 3514 Boots Ad Card £21.30
    31/01/10 Loan 1 = £6058, Loan 2 = £8896, Caravan Loan = £12980, HSBC CC = £0 Car = £0 , Loan 3 = £2490, Overdraft = £0
  • doodledo
    Well I think you will all find that the hat is in fact mine

I would love to debt free by Xmas 2009. It will be a push but I will try
    Proud to be dealing with my debts - DFW No: 712

03/09/09 - DEBT FREE AT LAST
    Racing Hypno to Save - £10/£5000
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 17th Oct 08, 4:35 PM
    • 8,706 Posts
    • 19,307 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    Hi Mike, if you need my email address to recommend me, just send me a pm on here.

Does anyone want me to recommend them? LOL

• too_much_debt
    • By too_much_debt 17th Oct 08, 5:17 PM
    • 3,196 Posts
    • 4,611 Thanks
    too_much_debt
    [quote=Mike84;15075481]

Hey too much,

I've just joined that moneybackmadness.co.uk and they give you £10 straight away!!!

Just got to get to £35 so I can cash it in!
    Originally posted by too_much_debt
    I think once you have your first payment you can then lower it to £20. I find it easier to use than any of the others. If you look at the Free stuff there are a couple where you can order a free brochure and get moneyback for it, I ordered the Butlins one and another Caravan holiday one. If you buy anything always see if they do moneyback on it through Moneybackmadness. When I first joined about a year or so ago I got my Life Insurance through them and got about £40 back so worth looking at things like that too.

TMD
    Sealed Pot Challenge #64
    • too_much_debt
    • By too_much_debt 17th Oct 08, 5:29 PM
    • 3,196 Posts
    • 4,611 Thanks
    too_much_debt
    If you go to the main page, there is a lot of links at the top, in small white writing it says 'Refer a friend', it has instructions there, think you just type their e-mail address in.

Also on the right of the main page is a long list of things, go to Daily Money Back and there are companies who pay 1p or 2p to do searches. I've done my quota for today, the pennies soon add up (look out for the pennies and the pounds will take care of themselves).

Also at the top it says 'Free Stuff' that is where you will find moneyback for requesting brochures etc, I don't do the prize draw things as they kept phoning up about other things and it got annoying.

TMD
    Sealed Pot Challenge #64
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 17th Oct 08, 6:28 PM
    • 8,706 Posts
    • 19,307 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    Thanks everyone for the advice about keeping up to date with payments. I will set a spreadsheet up now.

Just thinking surely by just taking my payments off won't work as there will be interest to add every month won't they? Therefore when I think I'm close to paying it off I won't be.
    Originally posted by Briggsy.notts
    Most loan repayments are done on fixed term so your monthly payments will actually already included the interest payments.

HTH

• doodledo
    Does anyone do Dooyooo?

I have seen it mentioned a few times but not entirely sure what its all about.

• clearmydebts
    • By clearmydebts 17th Oct 08, 8:13 PM
    • 6,093 Posts
    • 17,588 Thanks
    clearmydebts
    Hi Doodledoo,

Dooyoo can be found at www.dooyoo.co.uk

Basically you sign up and get paid 50p for every review you do. You can review absolutely anything and if it isn't there you can suggest it. You also get paid 1.5p everytime someone rates you review (dooyoo member) and you usually rate them back out of courtesy.

Once you have 10,000 miles (500 miles per review) you can cash it in for an Amazon voucher. If you want cash instead you have to have 50,000 miles before you can cash it in.

I have found it really useful and most of my Xmas presents have been bought between that and other survey sites.

Hope this helps!
  • Mike84
    Think I'm going to have a go at that dooyoo!!

If they give you money for just reviewing things then it's definitley worth doing!!
    Debt £14,393 / £10.49
    Savings £607 / £0
    That hat is mine!!!
    • poorandindenial
    • By poorandindenial 17th Oct 08, 10:09 PM
    • 4,072 Posts
    • 5,285 Thanks
    poorandindenial
    Hello all

I wanna play - what a great idea for a thread (nice one CAFCgirl), I am soooooo competetive so I will work my bits off to try to do this.

I feel like I will have to ebay at some point, have been putting it off fo years.....
    £34,547 (Dec 07); Current debt: £zilch (Debt free December 2010)
    Sealed Pot #389 (2010=£133)
  • Mike84
    Ebay sounds like a good idea!

Going to have a scout around the house this weekend to see what I can put on there, and i've just listed some books on amazon which I don't have to pay anything until they are sold!
    Debt £14,393 / £10.49
    Savings £607 / £0
    That hat is mine!!!
  • hypno06
    I would join in this challenge, but paper hats really mess with my hair, so I will hand over my place on the starting line to someone else!

Good luck guys - you can do it!!!!!
    Successful women can still have their feet on the ground. They just wear better shoes. (Maud Van de Venne)
    Life begins at the end of your comfort zone (Neale Donald Walsch)
    • clearmydebts
    • By clearmydebts 17th Oct 08, 11:01 PM
    • 6,093 Posts
    • 17,588 Thanks
    clearmydebts
    Think I'm going to have a go at that dooyoo!!

If they give you money for just reviewing things then it's definitley worth doing!!
    Originally posted by Mike84
    Yeah, I find it great for the Amazon vouchers for Xmas and birthday presents. I don't have the patience to wait for the 50,000 miles for the money!!!
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 18th Oct 08, 6:41 PM
    • 8,706 Posts
    • 19,307 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    oooooh new people and new ideas!

Gonna have a look at this dooyoo malarky.
    been working today, so theres some money LOL
    Also did well with taking in a lunch today so saved about £3 there.
    Food shopping is coming from asda online tomorrow, found a £5 off code on here, so saved on the delivery charge there, so I owe my credit card £5 from that.

• CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 18th Oct 08, 6:55 PM
    • 8,706 Posts
    • 19,307 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    Thanks Mike for the recommendation, just signed up for moneyback madness, and when I reach my qualifying amount will mean £10 for Mike and me wahey! Joint efforts are always good.

• doodledo
    Evening everyone how are we all doing tonight?

• CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 18th Oct 08, 7:25 PM
    • 8,706 Posts
    • 19,307 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    well im alright LOL

Hows you?
    Cleared my purse out earlier and put all the coppers (all that was in there apart from bats!) in my piggy bank. Figured I might count all that out toward the end, and see if that makes a dent in it!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,835Posts Today

7,463Users online

Martin's Twitter