Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 17th Oct 08, 2:34 PM
    • 8,706Posts
    • 19,307Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    First one to clear 15k gets a paper hat
    • 17th Oct 08, 2:34 PM
    First one to clear 15k gets a paper hat 17th Oct 08 at 2:34 PM
    Hello

Following on from a post of mine called "I need a friend" a whole new "competition/challenge" was borne.

Now lots of people on this site are FANTASTIC, their motivation, upbeat nature and budgetting skills are the envy of many, and then theres a few others...

Those who for one reason or another just cant get on top of that spending diary, who always find a "better" use for that extra bit of change, and who can always find an excuse to spend a fortune in Primark (maybe thats just me:confused: )

So we need motivating, we need a regular kick up the rear to get moving and we need someone/or many people to shout at us and say STAY OUT OF PRIMARK!(again might just be me!)

Now noone is being mean by shouting at another so leave your feelings at the door with your shoes.
    It takes a lot to be honest with yourself about whether or not you're doing all that you can, so I'm signing up for (well mannered) words of motivation, to see me get 15k of my outstanding debt paid off...

Day One : 17th October
    CAFCGirl reporting for duty...

WHOSE WITH ME?!

10 years and still don't have a clue what I'm doing

Trying to get by on a single Emergency Services income
    Fashion On The Ration Coupons 43\66 IT'S THE YARN
Page 2
    • milliemonster
    • By milliemonster 17th Oct 08, 4:03 PM
    • 3,619 Posts
    • 6,269 Thanks
    milliemonster
    !!!!!!, Mike's in the lead, better raid the penny jar!!!
    Aug GC 63.23/200, Total Savings 0
  • Mike84
    Hey too much debt!

If you click quick links at the top, you should be able to click edit signature, and there you go!!
    First to 15k hat challenge!
    Debt 14,393 / 10.49
    Savings 607 / 0
    That hat is mine!!!
  • Mike84
    !!!!!!, Mike's in the lead, better raid the penny jar!!!
    Originally posted by milliemonster
    Only started with £14,393 anyway so think i'm cheating a bit! That's why I'm going to get £607 savings to make up the £15k!

I think I'd get about 26p if i raided my copper jar!!

I have just put about 10 books on amazon aswell so hopefully someone will buy them and any money I make will go straight on the debt!
    Last edited by Mike84; 17-10-2008 at 4:11 PM.
    Debt 14,393 / 10.49
    Savings 607 / 0
    That hat is mine!!!
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 17th Oct 08, 4:08 PM
    • 8,706 Posts
    • 19,307 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    Is MoneybackMadness similar to Quidco?

Im going to see what money ive got left in my account next week and if nothing else needs paying, im going to use that to pay off a debt. My first one to go will hopefully be my I.F.com CC.

So is everyone upbeat and positive and thinking about the HAT!?

• Mike84
    Everyone seems to be doing this just to get the hat, think they have forgotten about the debt part!! haha!

It's good though that we can all spur eachother on to get where we want to be!

Haven't heard of moneybackmadness or quidco, are they cash back sites?

I use Topcashback which is pretty good!
    Debt 14,393 / 10.49
    Savings 607 / 0
    That hat is mine!!!
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 17th Oct 08, 4:11 PM
    • 8,706 Posts
    • 19,307 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    Ok CAFCgirl,

Do you buy your dinner everyday from say a supermarket (Sandwiches etc?)

I did until yesterday, and I was spending around 5 per day!!!

So I've decided to buy a loaf of bread a week and some meat and make my sandwiches which will save me loads!! (Around 80 to 100 per month!!!)

You should join the lunchtime challenge which Naomi set up!

I'm going to see how much I can save by not buying lunch everyday!
    Originally posted by Mike84
    Shamefully yes, i am a lunch time food shopper.

I have just ordered on my asda shop for the next fortnight some rolls and meat to do the same as you and save some money hopefully

• too_much_debt
    • By too_much_debt 17th Oct 08, 4:12 PM
    • 3,196 Posts
    • 4,611 Thanks
    too_much_debt
    Hey too much debt!

If you click quick links at the top, you should be able to click edit signature, and there you go!!
    Originally posted by Mike84
    Thanks Mike, just done it, you are a star.
    Sealed Pot Challenge #64
  • Mike84
    Great!!

That's a good start! We'll have to try and work out how much we've saved at the end of Nov and see if we've put it to good use!!
    Debt 14,393 / 10.49
    Savings 607 / 0
    That hat is mine!!!
    • too_much_debt
    • By too_much_debt 17th Oct 08, 4:15 PM
    • 3,196 Posts
    • 4,611 Thanks
    too_much_debt
    [quote=CAFCGirl;15075101]Is MoneybackMadness similar to Quidco?
    quote]

Yes, it is, they used to pay out at 35 but you can specify at how much you want to be paid out, think 20 is the lowest. I always use it if buying from companies where I can get moneyback through them, if I buy anything on Ebay I go through them and get moneyback, I normally buy the kids clothes via Ebay if I'm after Next clothing and it gets me some money back.
    Sealed Pot Challenge #64
  • Mike84
    Thanks Mike, just done it, you are a star.
    Originally posted by too_much_debt
    No problem!!
    Debt 14,393 / 10.49
    Savings 607 / 0
    That hat is mine!!!
  • Briggsy.notts
    You've all spurred me on to look at my debts and work out how much it is. Well just checked all my debt and put it in my signature. Doesn't look too good but I'm going to be positive. As long as I keep paying everything. Will take a few years though.

Just a quick question. When you do a SOA and you do unsecure loans do you put the amount you originally took out or the balance to date? If the balance to do how do you find this out every month?
    'Proud to be dealing with my debts'
    20p savers= 158.00 DFW Nerd #1061
    Nectar points 3514 Boots Ad Card 21.30
    31/01/10 Loan 1 = 6058, Loan 2 = 8896, Caravan Loan = 12980, HSBC CC = 0 Car = 0 , Loan 3 = 2490, Overdraft = 0
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 17th Oct 08, 4:18 PM
    • 8,706 Posts
    • 19,307 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    ok 6.35 off my mbna card (as the statement just came through on my email) and this made it a nice round number LOL

• Mike84
    [quote=too_much_debt;15075297]
    Is MoneybackMadness similar to Quidco?
    quote]

Yes, it is, they used to pay out at 35 but you can specify at how much you want to be paid out, think 20 is the lowest. I always use it if buying from companies where I can get moneyback through them, if I buy anything on Ebay I go through them and get moneyback, I normally buy the kids clothes via Ebay if I'm after Next clothing and it gets me some money back.
    Originally posted by CAFCGirl
    Hey too much,

I've just joined that moneybackmadness.co.uk and they give you 10 straight away!!!

Just got to get to 35 so I can cash it in!
    Debt 14,393 / 10.49
    Savings 607 / 0
    That hat is mine!!!
    • clearmydebts
    • By clearmydebts 17th Oct 08, 4:21 PM
    • 6,093 Posts
    • 17,588 Thanks
    clearmydebts
    Hi all,

Can I join too? I don't think I will be the 1st to clear it but would love to get rid of 15K by Xmas '09. That would leave me with only £7,243 of debt left!

I'm giving up on the whole diary thing as no-one responds to mine (must be the most boring in the history of MSE). Think I will concentrate on the challenges instead.

P.S. - not usually so down in the dumps, just a bit sensitive about my diary
    Total debt (starting September 2016): 19,500/27,000
    BOI credit card: 4,700/7,000
    Loan:14,800/
    Savings: 0
  • Mike84
    You've all spurred me on to look at my debts and work out how much it is. Well just checked all my debt and put it in my signature. Doesn't look too good but I'm going to be positive. As long as I keep paying everything. Will take a few years though.

Just a quick question. When you do a SOA and you do unsecure loans do you put the amount you originally took out or the balance to date? If the balance to do how do you find this out every month?
    Originally posted by Briggsy.notts
    Briggsy,

I keep check of my bank load through online banking.

Why don't you ring up your loan companies, ask for a balance for each and then set up a spreadsheet or other schedule and keep knocking off your monthly payment each month to get your new balance?!
    Debt 14,393 / 10.49
    Savings 607 / 0
    That hat is mine!!!
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 17th Oct 08, 4:25 PM
    • 8,706 Posts
    • 19,307 Thanks
    CAFCGirl

Originally posted by Briggsy.notts
    Welcome!
    Its the balance to date, you just need to call up your loan provider and they will tell you, and then every month, just subtract your fixed payments and that should keep you up to date.

• clearmydebts
    • By clearmydebts 17th Oct 08, 4:26 PM
    • 6,093 Posts
    • 17,588 Thanks
    clearmydebts
    Mike84,

Love your quote 'That hat is mine!!!', the gloves are off!
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 17th Oct 08, 4:27 PM
    • 8,706 Posts
    • 19,307 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    Great minds think alike eh Mike?

ClearMy - Welcome aboard hun, sorry to hear about your diary, confess I hadnt noticed it, I feel a bit bad now. My diary is generally just full of my wafflings, but its what they do for you, rather than the replies you get, although I know how disheartening it is to feel like your talking to yourself

• CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 17th Oct 08, 4:29 PM
    • 8,706 Posts
    • 19,307 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    does moneybackmadness give you money for recommending a friend?

maybe someone would like to recommend me, and then I can recommend someone else etc? Be like a little round robin of recommendations

• clearmydebts
    • By clearmydebts 17th Oct 08, 4:30 PM
    • 6,093 Posts
    • 17,588 Thanks
    clearmydebts
    CAFCGirl,

Thanks for the welcome. Am looking forward to the new challenge as the Clear a Debt by Xmas Challenge is nearly over. Your right about the diary, it doesn't matter if no-one responds. I will continue with my wafflings!!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,775Posts Today

7,585Users online

Martin's Twitter