Can i use a usb multi adapter in Greece

Options
ive bought a 5 way, USB multi charger, similar to these:

https://www.google.com/search?q=multi+usb+charger&client=firefox-b-d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjbrOSb5-3iAhUNXRUIHcXlCegQ_AUIESgC&biw=1920&bih=966

Can i use it in Greece with a UK-to-Euro travel plug? so have maybe 2 iphones and 2 ipads (or anything else usb powered, camera etc) charging at the same time on it?

Comments

• unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No reason why not
  • longwalks1
    longwalks1 Posts: 3,734 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks unforseen, wasnt sure if it was too much on one plug for a european country?
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Check the amperage going out to each port? You may find only one or two ports do 2.1 & the rest less, which is a good thing as not every device likes apple-rated flow.
    I wouldn't try to keep the whole family happy off one plug but take a battery pack as well.
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Just be aware the sockets are not as sturdy as they are in the UK, plenty of wobble when putting plugs in and removing them.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • longwalks1
    longwalks1 Posts: 3,734 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Check the amperage going out to each port? You may find only one or two ports do 2.1 & the rest less, which is a good thing as not every device likes apple-rated flow.
    I wouldn't try to keep the whole family happy off one plug but take a battery pack as well.

Hi it says: 40w iSmart USB DC 5v/2.4 Max (Each Port)
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,422 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    At 5v and 40w to play with, it will share 8 amps across the 5 ports.

It will work fine but may take longer to charge some items such as the iPads if all the ports are in use.
  • Heedtheadvice
    Heedtheadvice Posts: 2,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 16 June 2019 at 8:40PM
    Options
    I would echo the warning regarding the stability of the plugs in sockets for the type used in some continental countries, including Greece. For equipment that is quite heavy and 'hangs' on the socket (such as power packs) it is sometimes better to attach via a short extension so that the weight is not supported at the plug.

That said the supply voltage and frequency fall within the same spec range as the uk but voltage tends to be at the lower end (220v) of the range so although uk sold devices do work some might consume/output a little less power due to the lower voltage. Not generally any problem at all.
  • mobileron
    mobileron Posts: 1,218 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    And it will work in most places worldwide,i purchased one with multi pin adapter,then change for the country im in.

You could take a UK extension lead,plug converter and charger points as well.
  • Paul_DNAP
    Paul_DNAP Posts: 751 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Of course it will be fine, they probably sell the exact same model in Greece anyway.

As has been said, just make sure it's a decent quality adaptor plug to hold in the socket properly.

Actually, I'm slightly surprised that the unit didn't come with a Euro plug anyway, many things I've bought recently have come with a modular power supply where you attach the right plug for your country when you unpack it.
    (Although I could be wrong, I often am.)
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Paul_DNAP wrote: »
    Actually, I'm slightly surprised that the unit didn't come with a Euro plug anyway, many things I've bought recently have come with a modular power supply where you attach the right plug for your country when you unpack it.

Of those types I've encountered so far, they're almost a fit-once setup ... they can be a biatch to remove (say) the UK fitment to then attach the EU fitment. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure