Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 28th May 19, 1:54 PM
    • 9,045Posts
    • 69,593Thanks
    apple muncher
    NST June 2019 - Ninja powers
    • 28th May 19, 1:54 PM
    NST June 2019 - Ninja powers 28th May 19 at 1:54 PM

Just Unleash Ninja Energy

June is about a laser focus.

With superpowers.

And an eye mask so that no-one recognises you in the street.

And a cape.

And a wand if you want one.

Minimise vs maximise.

Choose your focus and be relentless in pursuing it.

Minimise:
    -bills (change provider, reduce your usage)
    -car usage (can you walk/bike the journey instead?)
    -clutter (Marie Kondo isn’t popular for no reason)
    -plastic (‘nuff said)
    -screen time (you’ll sleep better, get more done, be more sociable…)
    -spending (why else are we here?)
    -toxic situations and people (set yourself free from their entangling tentacles)
    -unloved items (someone else can love them instead)
    -unnecessary spends (well, we’re on a money saving site, aren’t we?)
    -wants ( at heart, we are simple folk who don’t need much)
    -waste – food and other (don’t throw your hard-earned money down the drain. Or in to the bin)

Maximise:
    -dreams (dream big)
    -education: learn to do something new (from plumbing to breakdancing)
    -fruit and veg intake (we know the health benefits)
    -fun + laughter (so important!)
    -generosity (donate, give, help others)
    -getting niggly jobs done (then they can stop bugging you)
    -health (don’t pay for health issues later in life – be healthy now!)
    -inner ninja superpowers (we all have them. Dust down the cape)
    -meal planning (less waste, less shopping, less stress, less temptation to nip to the shops)
    -moving more (goes with health. Get shifting that booty)
    -pennies (they are powerful. Treasure them)
    -time with those you love (you can’t do this once they’re gone. Make the most of them now)

• The challenge runs for all of June from the first to the last.
    • You will have 15 NSDs.
    • You will pay to your debts/savings first and live off the rest.
    • You will budget to the last penny.
    • You will choose your personal focuses (foci?) and let us know how you are getting on. We love daily posts, if you can.

Who is with me?
    NST July jogger #5; NSD 10/18; Ex 19/31; remove bagfuls (31)

Mortgage £15,451 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143; 01/19: 18.275) MFWDate???
Page 12
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 15th Jun 19, 4:48 PM
    • 2,342 Posts
    • 21,307 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Plenty of things achieved today, really pleased with how much, but sadly there was cost involved in most of them. Still on 1 NSD.

Half way through June, the dryer is going, the rain is still falling. Hopefully it will dry up soon.
    MFW START1/5/16 £118,340 Oct17£109,49 12/17 £108,801/18 £108,39 3/18 £108,50 4/18£108,10 5/18£106,99 6/18£105,99.7/18£105,308/18£103,99 9/18£102,99 10/18£101,999 11/18£101,300 12/18£100,700,1/19 £99,999 2/19 99,500 1/3 £98,9991/4 £98,500 1/5 £97,999 1/6 £97,500 1/7 £96,999.99
    MFW 2019 #65
    L&C Referal code- https://referme.to/GNNHtJo
    • laurenh1
    • By laurenh1 15th Jun 19, 7:07 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 8,639 Thanks
    laurenh1
    Hi all,

Just checking in.

Today was a spend day, as I knew it would be! We went to a family day at husbands work but we had a fab day & the cost was minimal. I bought the kids hot dogs, made a donation to the birds of prey there in exchange for a photo which I didnt mind, lucky dip at the air ambulance stall & bought a raffle ticket for another charity , we were there all day & there was quite a lot for the kids to do, bouncy castle, funfair , prizes so all in all I cant complain! I managed to win 3 Easter eggs which brings the total in our garage to 18...we will be making cornflakes cakes for years to come.

Used a coupon for more peppermint teas at Holland and Barrats, which I know seems crazy as I'm doing my best to get through all my fruit teas but peppermint is the only one I would chose to drink anyway & I enjoy

Did 45 mins on my bike , maybe need to mix it up and go for a run or something tomorrow.

Apple I'm glad your feeling better
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 15th Jun 19, 8:32 PM
    • 9,045 Posts
    • 69,593 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Today I am grateful for dh dropping me and dd off at sainz on his way out for the day so we got the gf/df stuff really quickly, for bumping in to a lovely friend outside sainz, for catching up with a friend who's having a really tough time while dd was at dance, for another chat with a homeless man and finding that he had a place to sleep and a place to shower and change, for smooth buses, for a good book, for a mad-busy-but-productive late afternoon/evening, for a hot bath.

Mortgage £15,451 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143; 01/19: 18.275) MFWDate???
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 15th Jun 19, 8:38 PM
    • 3,348 Posts
    • 34,483 Thanks
    XSpender
    Quiet day today, pottering at home. Sunny this morning and then cloudy and threatening to rain most of the afternoon. We managed to get 5 loads dried on the line/clothes horse and DH has done a pile of ironing.

Dynamic yoga class again this morning, I feel like I’ve run 10 miles when I come out

Emptied, cleaned and rearranged my freezers so that similar items are together I.e. all the veg in one draw, meat in another. I have 14 pots of HM soup!

Minimise:
    Bills 1) Swap my mobile phone provider 2) Reduce gas usage - heating has been on for a while the last 2 nights. It’s supposed to be June!!
    Clutter 1) Dining room unit 2) Pink bedroom 3)Dresser drawers
    Spending 1) Groceries budget £300/£10.37 over - Steak dinner for DH and DS for Fathers Day and some beers for DH pushed me over after a great weekly shop at Aldee
    Unnecessary spends 1) Stick to our budget food budget over, under budget for Fathers Day gifts for DH and DFIL 2) First monthly budget meeting planned with DH for 2nd June - DONE 3) Cut back to avoid using CC 1 item purchased which may be faulty and going back
    Waste 1) Minimise food waste ( I can't afford to waste anything this month) - bag of OOD items from freezer and fridge went out today, used up some dodgy apples in a rhubarb and apple crumble, froze lemon and lime slices/wedges

Maximise:
    Dreams (dream big) 1) Debt free in 2 years, mortgage free in 10 nothing specific
    Education 1) Sales efficiency analysis DONE 2) Yoga - loving my course and hoping to find another class to do during the week 3) Clean eating diet and keeping it up to include batch cooking, motivation, tactics to avoid eating carp etc. this is not going well this month and I feel worse for it
    Fruit and veg intake 5/day every day including at least 1 green veg everyday 35/150 portions Green Veg 6/30 portions my eating has been dreadful this week
    Getting niggly jobs done 1) DS CTF/ISA 2) Sort pink bedroom back to a bedroom instead of a dumping ground DONE3) List freezer and re-organise contents DONE4) Paint porch interior 5) Paint utility, downstairs loo and spray paint cistern and replace loo seat. no funds for this and the cistern is cracked!
    Health Lose another 7lb (ideally by 25th June but this will be tough) - 5 weeks to DB wedding and I really want to be smaller by then, I have a dress I could wear if I lost some weight
    Meal Planning - will post them and be accountable to keep me on track. meal plan done up until the end of the month and not much needed
    Moving more - Exercise 3 times per week and walk dog everyday I am home - Exercise 5/12, Dog Walks 4/20 - only ran once this week!
    Time with those you love - Phone D&S, phone S&J, visit Mum, book meet up with J&C, phone JP phone JL
    NSD Aiming for 10 due to wanting flexibility of buying fresh food every couple of days 4/10
    Last edited by XSpender; 15-06-2019 at 8:42 PM.
    • indigowarrior
    • By indigowarrior 15th Jun 19, 9:27 PM
    • 700 Posts
    • 5,394 Thanks
    indigowarrior
    @laurenh sorry about your aunt.
    I am really sorry for not checking in. I am up to NSD 10 I think. I am really rubbish at keeping track.
    No Spend July 0/17 £30/£160 Groceries £0/120/debt.
    • laurenh1
    • By laurenh1 16th Jun 19, 7:54 AM
    • 746 Posts
    • 8,639 Thanks
    laurenh1
    Hi all,

Just checking in,

Today is NSD number 9- I will be aiming to get to 14 by the end of this next week .

Minimise-

Still working through a range of things that need using / eating.
    Unnecessary spends- nothing
    Screen time- really trying with this.

Maximise-

Fruit & veg intake - still watching what I eat.
    Exercise & time with those you love- going to take kids out with a kite this morning to get us out of the house!
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 16th Jun 19, 8:04 AM
    • 4,599 Posts
    • 42,563 Thanks
    dolly84
    lauren - it sounds like the Army invested heavily in Easter Eggs, hope you love crispie buns.

Ran yesterday and will cycle today. Sky has some blue today so hopefully it will stay dry for a change.

Bought some elastic and cotton yesterday to make a skirt with DD for her DofE practical, I think we may get started on that today. Yesterday I found 2 more books for my reading challenge and a third I just fancied reading, they were 3 for £1 from a charity market stall. Also bought more clothes from the CS, all lovely items and cheap individually but it all adds up and I keep saying I must stop but never do.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler.
    • laurenh1
    • By laurenh1 16th Jun 19, 1:35 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 8,639 Thanks
    laurenh1
    Dolly- you're not kidding , I've just made chocolate chip cookies with one of the eggs though, 16 to go
    • Deni debt-free dreamer
    • By Deni debt-free dreamer 16th Jun 19, 3:20 PM
    • 246 Posts
    • 2,463 Thanks
    Deni debt-free dreamer
    hi all,
    Quick catch up as I'm working all weekend at an event which is mainly outdoors so dodging the rain and the mud. Getting lots of steps in and being fed too so those are the positives! Will be glad to get to my bed tonight though...
    Today is NSD 4! Keeping my budget on track and got paid early for my self employment role so will manage to get to pay day with money still in the bank!
    Gratitudes: being appreciated by new colleagues at work; DD1 having a night out which she wouldn't have done last year and i'm still so pleased she can manage to do this; lovely text message from DD2; friend giving me a lift back to work last night so i could have a cocktail while dancing in the rain!! (i wasn't working last night in case you think i was drinking at work

Deni xx
    Sealed pot challenge member #118

Pay ALL your debt off by Xmas 2019 #96
    Total CCs 1,572.05/9597.05

£2 savers club 33
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 16th Jun 19, 6:46 PM
    • 9,045 Posts
    • 69,593 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Today I am grateful for dh giving us a lift to kids klub, for a good session there, for not getting wet, for superb bus connections home, for dd going out to play, for getting my important stuff all done before tea time, for cake + ice cream for pudding.

• XSpender
    • By XSpender 16th Jun 19, 7:07 PM
    • 3,348 Posts
    • 34,483 Thanks
    XSpender
    Minimise:
    Bills 1) Swap my mobile phone provider 2) Reduce gas usage - no heating on tonight so far
    Clutter 1) Dining room unit 2) Pink bedroom 3)Dresser drawers making a start on these tonight in front of the telly
    Spending 1) Groceries budget £300/£16.36 over
    Unnecessary spends 1) Stick to our budget [COLOR="Blue"]food budget over, £20 spent on lunch/ice cream at NT place today 2) First monthly budget meeting planned with DH for 2nd June - DONE 3) Cut back to avoid using CC 1 item purchased which may be faulty and going back
    Waste 1) Minimise food waste ( I can't afford to waste anything this month) - Used up som bits from the freezer and struck them off the new freezer inventory

Maximise:
    Dreams (dream big) 1) Debt free in 2 years, mortgage free in 10 will stop using my co car on a weekend and use DH co car as worked out his fuel costs are half mine
    Education 1) Sales efficiency analysis DONE 2) Yoga - loving my course and hoping to find another class to do during the week 3) Clean eating diet and keeping it up to include batch cooking, motivation, tactics to avoid eating carp etc. found a great new website/blog and an oat bran muffin recipe to try
    Fruit and veg intake 5/day every day including at least 1 green veg everyday 41/150 portions Green Veg 7/30 eaten better today if you ignore the cheese scone and ice cream I had
    Getting niggly jobs done 1) DS CTF/ISA 2) Sort pink bedroom back to a bedroom instead of a dumping ground DONE3) List freezer and re-organise contents DONE4) Paint porch interior 5) Paint utility, downstairs loo and spray paint cistern and replace loo seat. no funds for this and the cistern is cracked!
    Health Lose another 7lb (ideally by 25th June but this will be tough) - tried on an old dress which would be perfect for DB wedding off I lose another half a stone - there’s my new incentive!
    Meal Planning - will post them and be accountable to keep me on track. stuck to meal plan all weekend and tonight’s chicken will be paella tomorrow and curry Tuesday
    Moving more - Exercise 3 times per week and walk dog everyday I am home - Exercise 5/12, Dog Walks 5/20 plus lots of walking without the dog at NT site !
    Time with those you love - Phone D&S, phone S&J, visit Mum, book meet up with J&C, phone JP phone JL
    NSD Aiming for 10 due to wanting flexibility of buying fresh food every couple of days 4/10
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 16th Jun 19, 7:10 PM
    • 2,342 Posts
    • 21,307 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Today I am grateful for:
    the rain staying away long enough to dry a mattress topper on the line, and 2 other loads of laundry.

For the floor in front of the washing machine being clear.
    For scones, they are so cheap and quick to make, and the kids love them.
    Leaving the house when I first felt the start of sciatica, managed to go to the summer street fair and back before it got properly horrible.

Not a NSD today either, I spent £1.75 in real cash but I needed bread for lunchboxes, got a good few ys bargains and used a free £5 voucher. So not terrible, but still annoying.
    MFW START1/5/16 £118,340 Oct17£109,49 12/17 £108,801/18 £108,39 3/18 £108,50 4/18£108,10 5/18£106,99 6/18£105,99.7/18£105,308/18£103,99 9/18£102,99 10/18£101,999 11/18£101,300 12/18£100,700,1/19 £99,999 2/19 99,500 1/3 £98,9991/4 £98,500 1/5 £97,999 1/6 £97,500 1/7 £96,999.99
    MFW 2019 #65
    • sashanut
    • By sashanut 16th Jun 19, 11:02 PM
    • 3,150 Posts
    • 29,827 Thanks
    sashanut
    No 12 checking in
    Hi all

Minimise: been minimising some brambles in the garden..

Bills Looking to get some secondary DG on our old windows to help with heating this place. This will be a long-term project IMHO. To that end:

Clutter: Lots to clear before even survey to do windows could be organised. Keeping going with the clutter, a little every day. I WILL get this house cleared.

Spending: Need to budget for groceries. Starting with £300 including pet food. Have receipt ready to file, but about £35/300. No spending yesterday but today stupidly bought something online that I will probably send back, sigh..

Unnecessary spends Yes - today.

Waste: No waste today - used up another dessert from freezer, plus yesterday made risotto from DDs leftover chicken & have enough to make a soup for tomorrow (it's cold enough).

Maximise:
    Dreams (dream big): Would like to fit the DG as mentioned earlier, also need the driveway doing but would be a very large amount of cash as it's so big....Clearing the clutter will help enormously with this, both financially & in the long term. Outside painting needed now, will be a big job & need scaffolding. This again will be £££. Still to get things photographed & listed; sun is never out at the appropriate moment.

Fruit and veg intake: Definitely need to increase F&V consumption, on this. Fruit with breakfast & some fruit this afternoon as usual. Made veg pakoras which included a lot of veg but not worth the effort tbh.

Getting niggly jobs done Painting inside & out, get builder to fit cowl on chimneys, get chimney swept, painting outside as well. All our jobs are niggly, but DH did get some outstanding ones done. Still need to see if the DW will work with the new hose he bought x weeks ago...will remind him yet again tomorrow.

Health: Lose approx. a stone & a half. Am trying with this, helps that DD is not here. Feel slimmer - does that count?

Meal Planning: Need to meal plan as tend to go with the flow, and it doesn't always work out. Have plenty of food in but still need to plan. Have lots leftover as DD didn't come for supper as I thought she would.

Moving more - Most exercise taken as gardening. Todays exercise was cleaning AND gardening.

Time with those you love: Out in garden & had a brew with DH whilst listening to the birdsong, very pleasant.

NSD: now 8/15

Check in every day Here I am, hello folks
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 . Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 16th Jun 19, 11:26 PM
    • 2,936 Posts
    • 31,840 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Today I am grateful for finding a new to me series to watch, for a reasonable haul of ys bargains and for finding places to put part dried washing when it started to chuck it down again.
    Changing to a Life of Simplicity and Serenity with added rainbows
    NST Jul #1 SFD 12/17 Food 172.45/£160 Travel £15.20/20 Ent 0/12 Diy 0/£10 Ext trainers 129.99
    No Debt No mortgage
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 17th Jun 19, 7:12 AM
    • 2,649 Posts
    • 22,358 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning everyone,

My weekend back in Glasgow was spent seeing friends and family amongst other things. Let's see if I can recal;

Dentist - £14
    Dinner in a restaurant with friends - £50 (!!!!)
    Bowling - £13
    Golf - £10
    SuperMarket - £30
    Diesel - £45

The restaurant spend was much higher than I'd like. It was in a place I had only been to once before but couldn't remember the price point, and I didn't think it was there. It soon dawned on me when the waitress was placing the napkin on my lap that I was in that kind of establishment. Anyway, I had the money there, it was absolutely lovely and even better spend time with some friends who I haven't seen in a while.

So, I'm still on 8 NSD's. I frustratingly need to visit the SM again for a few bits but that should be me until the weekend.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16

Follow my diary HERE
    • laurenh1
    • By laurenh1 17th Jun 19, 8:00 AM
    • 746 Posts
    • 8,639 Thanks
    laurenh1
    Hi All,

Just checking in!

Minimise-
    waste-lunch is yet more leftovers. Once my chickens have laid a few more eggs I will make more chocolate chip cookies with the Easter eggs, as they went down a storm!
    screen time- still working on this, still off Facebook.
    unnecessary spends- today is NSD number 10!
    Maximise- Time with loved ones- I have promised my littlies I will take them outside tonight after work if the weather is ok!
    Exercise- I went on my bike for an hour last night!
    Fruit & Veg in take- still doing my best with this, despite having had a cookie or two...
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 17th Jun 19, 8:11 AM
    • 2,936 Posts
    • 31,840 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Last week I made some bad choices. Yesterday I had an accumulation of bad choices and I feel ill today (headachy, unrefreshed, sore) so from now on I will make good (better?) choices, keeping focussed on my long term goals.

I'm not going to beat myself up, it's not helpful so I'm going to keep in mind that some days it's okay if all you do is keep breathing - think taking it slowly will be more productive in the end.

The weekend wasn't a total write off -
    I made a large pot of chilli (mostly from freezer ingredients) - this was only possible because of the kitchen clearing I have done
    Lots of recycling and rubbish has gone out (one very full and heavy bin bag)
    Ys bargains help me tick off several of the grab and go, easy healthy food options

Out of crisis management (poor, rushed of spur of the moment decisions) and into planning, self-care and good physical and mental health. I'm worth it

Old me (tripping over my own feet emoji?)
    New me

Have a good day turtles (hugs for lauren and anyone who needs them, including those who are not checking in - I know who you are).
    Changing to a Life of Simplicity and Serenity with added rainbows
    NST Jul #1 SFD 12/17 Food 172.45/£160 Travel £15.20/20 Ent 0/12 Diy 0/£10 Ext trainers 129.99
    No Debt No mortgage
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 17th Jun 19, 8:28 AM
    • 4,599 Posts
    • 42,563 Thanks
    dolly84
    I hope no one here lives in a flooded area, saw it on the news yesterday and it is shocking. Raining here again today, fine drizzle but we haven't had a totally dry day in ages now.

DD is going through a tough time at school, she is made of strong stuff and I am so impressed with how she is taking my advice on board and how resilient she is. As a parent you feel their pain and I just wish I could take it all away, teenage girls can be a horrible breed.

I have a long list of jobs to get done today and need to get cracking.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler.
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 17th Jun 19, 9:41 AM
    • 2,342 Posts
    • 21,307 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Good Morning Turtles!
    I am now a year older than the last time we were together. Gave one passport form to school teacher this morning, will get it back tomorrow, so that will finally be all sorted by 10 am and in the post. So glad we only have to do this every 5 years for kids.

Last GCSE today (further maths) this afternoon though, so anxiety rules in the house of Fox.

It is not raining!!
    Hugs to all who need them, pom pom waving to those in need of encouragement, pats on the backs for those who are achieving, and for anyone passing by....
    MFW 2019 #65
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 17th Jun 19, 10:11 AM
    • 3,534 Posts
    • 29,402 Thanks
    thriftylass
    Happy Birthday f0xh0les..

Mixed weekend, got a fair bit done in the garden. Planed out seedlings, weeded, and cut the hedge. My hay fever finally started to appear on Friday night. Decided to finally cut the lawns that had begun to turn into wildflower meadows (not helping my hay fever). Sat night hay fever morphed into proper cold and floored me for Sun. So skipped the 10 k race.

So no training today either. But got my home made lunch with me and fake lemsip. Cooked todays meatballs in the oven while the roast veg were in for yesterdays dinner. So just a tomato sauce to make and spaghetti to boil for an easy dinner.

Kids had fun in the park yesterday, there is one near a beach and a castle at the end of our town. Got some cracking pictures of kids having fun in the Scottish summer with the castle and the grey sea/skye as a backdrop. DD was wearing her woollen winter dress, both were running fully dressed through the sprinkler section that park has, while overhead the dark clouds were looming, threatening with rain. Kids were frozen afterwards (luckily planned ahead and had full change of clothing) but had a ball.
    Last edited by thriftylass; 17-06-2019 at 12:25 PM.
    NST July 19
    SFD 6/15 spends £345/650
    Exercise 5/15
    Debt - all 0% 1490 to go from 5290
    DFD 11/2018 Mortgage 109343 (04/17) 94600 (07/19) OP 1910
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

910Posts Today

7,198Users online

Martin's Twitter