50 something man seeking to save to retire before 60!

Options

Comments

• BucksLady
    BucksLady Posts: 567 Forumite
    Options
    crv1963 wrote: »

Have a great day, and grief is like scattered glitter - you never clean it up, it turns up unexpectedly when you least expect it.

That is so true, crv.

Sincere condolences to both crv and ManofLeisure. I also hope that ManofLeisure will post again soon x

Pleased to hear that you are 'fit as a flea', crv :) - really good news.
    I've also some good news to share and I have permission to do so ;) - MrAPJI has remarried :). I'm so pleased that he has found happiness again :). I've known AP for quite a long time as we once worked together.. Also knew his wife, and so I know she would be delighted that he isn't 'alone' anymore.
  • Mr_Costcutter
    Mr_Costcutter Posts: 391 Forumite
    Options
    [QUOTE=BucksLady;75
    I've also some good news to share and I have permission to do so ;) - MrAPJI has remarried :). I'm so pleased that he has found happiness again :). [/QUOTE

What wonderful news - absolutely delighted for him :)
  • bugslett
    bugslett Posts: 416 Forumite
    Options
    My condolences to ManofLeisure, it's a very confusing and overwhelming experience.

Dogs and mud, I could write a book. I took delivery of four tonne of aggregates this morning to make a base for some fake grass. I tried all sorts to not have the fake stuff but nothing was working. :(

I dont have telly, my sole entertainment has been an in car portable DVD player for several years, quite sufficient. I read about a chap in the States who stopped listening or reading news after Trump came to power. I know how he feels. Perhaps less TV is contributing to you being fit as a flea!

I dont think it's too soon to get another dog. When you are used to multiple dogs, it's less traumatic I feel, because you are so used to having them around. I suspect your Mum has a good streak of proper Northern pragmatism in her as well.

Congratulations to Mr APJI and his bride:beer:. I feel champagne glass clinkng emoji would be better, but until there is one.

Finally, I'll be handing the warehouse back to the landlord on the 26th, so I'm considering that to be my true final day, though I've done about 7 hours this week so I cant claim to be stressed:rotfl:
    Yes I'm bugslet, I lost my original log in details and old e-mail address.
  • crv1963
    crv1963 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A quick update, back to work now, just finished my rostered run of four nightshifts, which were busy so flew over!

Well I've managed to convince Mum to go to the GP about her various aches, she has a bad back and has identified it was digging her friends garden that caused it. She helped her friend because "she's old you know, in her late 70s and it's hard work". Mum you're 80! She is pragmatic but doesn't like to bother her GP "It's always full of old people and old people irritate me with their moaning!"

I think it is less TV and more activity that has helped lower my blood pressure, and the medication of course plays a big part. I'm told I have normal life expectancy following my stent and stopping smoking, GP suggested that I limit overtime and Mrs CRV has imposed a limit of working no more than 4 shifts per week, which means I have agreed to do a maximum of 3 per month. Have booked 2 for July and 1 for August, I hope to sort my shed by end September. A rather long running saga now!

Not going over to sort my siblings house this week- we're having a break from it, probably go next week. I think we're on the final push now.

Weather looks kind today so I'm going to spend the afternoon catching up with the garden, the lawn has grown fast over the past few days I've been away!

My condolences to ManofLeisure and I hope he feels able to re-join us when he is ready.

My congratulations to Mr APIJ, it is nice hearing some good news, it seems all I hear at present is bad news!

Bugslet have you decided on plans for the summer or taking it as it comes?
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
  • bugslett
    bugslett Posts: 416 Forumite
    Options
    I was just chatting to a friend and she was talking about her aunt who is 93 and says yes to everything, so I relayed the comments you made about hardly being able to see your mum at xmas due to all her activities and dos she has on;).

No plans crv, just chilling for a few months before making decisions. I am eyeing up a world cruise next year, the mere idea feels decadent, but like you, it's the dog question... Some more thinking to be done.
    Yes I'm bugslet, I lost my original log in details and old e-mail address.
  • crv1963
    Options
    Chilling sounds good! We are going to concert Saturday but have to organise our evening around the pets and their medications meaning I get home 11 ish Friday and up around 5 am Saturday so the evening dose can be given before we go out!

Mum has a busy round of Summer trips out with her various activities and clubs in July!
  • crv1963
    Options
    My June payday update-

Spending- Have kept a lid on this so far! Fuel and food, oh and a couple of pints in the sunshine! We are thinking about our cars, Mrs CRV is thinking of a serious downsize for her motoring, still wants four wheel drive but something easier to park than her current CRV, and more fuel efficient than her current 25mpg.

I on the other hand am thinking of changing to a car with a few more luxuries/ safety features and a built in sat nav. Given my 800 miles a week fuel economy is also high on the list.

Saving Pensions on target as is getting the credit card cleared, thinking of increasing the monthly savings into Mrs CRV SIPP, but will wait until we see how much the building work will be.

Sorting Almost exclusively my siblings home again last month, work stops it being a smooth, quick process. I have managed to avoid the temptation of simply moving things from one part of the country to another and clogging up our loft space.

I've been looking hard at our finances and we've decided to spend on making improvements while we are working rather than waiting until we retire and so looks like savings will be taking a hit! So now going through my list of what we need to do, would like to do and what would age proof the home. Got a builder coming to do some accurate measurements and costings.

Other News Have been good and only 3 additional shifts booked this month, 1 so far for August. It is probably as well as we think 4 or 5 trips more to my siblings house then all done there. I love driving but spending 8 hours at the wheel round trip every week with the work hours in between clearing is taking its' toll on my rest days!

Mum has decided upon getting a new dog as her remaining one has gone all sad and not playing/ refusing walks and miserable. I've tried to suggest breeds that I also would be comfortable with- so no toy breeds, luckily she is familiar with robust dogs so is looking towards Labs, Retrievers or Corgis, she hasn't had a Lab but they are a decent compromise in size, easy to train and nice temperament so who knows, she is considering at 80 what happens if she can't keep it as she ages etc.

Mrs CRV thinks I'm having a mid life crisis as I fancy taking my motorcycle test, she is trying to steer me towards a campervan not a bike!

Simple Pleasures I had a few laughs at work, enjoyed the concert and am looking forward to having a week off work later in July. Had a nice lunch out in Durham yesterday- with a real milkshake.

Enjoy your day!
  • Clowance
    Clowance Posts: 1,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi everyone
    I broke my ankle three weeks ago so have had an insight of what it must be like to have limited mobility and be confined to your own house. I can say it stinks, so CRV1963 when you future proof consider what it might be like to be in a wheelchair (kitchen worktops too high, sockets may be too low), hard to manoevre in narrow hall etc, steps outside unnavigable). Also consider bathrooms - A cheap shower stool in the bath (overbath shower) is working for me.
    Not every elderly person is as active as your mum, she is an inspiration.
    Best wishes
  • crv1963
    Options
    Hi Clowance,

Sorry to hear your misfortune. Interesting about the sockets, only today Mum has an electrician in putting a couple of sockets into her kitchen to ease access as she has to reach over or plug extension leads into existing ones.

If we were wheelchair bound we would have difficulty getting up to our home, we'd have to have a ramp put up the steps to the garden from street level, when we get to sorting outside I may have to see what we need to do and how much work is involved.
  • crv1963
    edited 13 July 2019 at 8:21AM
    Options
    Mid Month update!

Spending Yesterday ordered the wood to fix my shed and build a lean to shed onto it. Ordered the timber for battens so I can insulate it and once the walls and roof are sorted I can look to do the floor. Today I've ordered the roofing materials and the insulating materials. All should arrive from next Wednesday - the first of my run of 9 days off so hopefully I should get a good bit done, even dare I suggest it finished!

Which will be just as well as we're currently getting quotes for several flat roof replacements over bay windows and kitchen, trying to get main roof watertight, in readiness for Mrs CRV loft conversion- wanting to create a sewing/ hobby room. People coming next week to suggest various options and costs.

We've decided that future proofing needs grasping firmly even if savings need using for this- not much good having money in the bank if the roof over our heads is leaking!

Saving Looking to start a SIPP for myself as well as Mrs CRV SIPP, more for old, old, age for me but useful to have the HMRC top up to the savings rather than sit earning little or no interest.

Saved on spending by buying timber locally, delivery £3.

Sorting Had to empty a wardrobe to allow access for some repairs to the boiler so going to recycle at least half to the charity shop this morning- I really don't need 44 Jumpers- it's cold here but not that cold!

More sibling stuff to sort today, hopefully we'll get that sorted and put away or given away as needed before we move on to sorting the next load out.

Other News Have booked 2 extra shifts for August and with my 3 for July by end September I will have paid myself back the money spent on the shed.

Mrs CRV excited about the prospect of a dedicated sewing room, less so about clearing the loft space to allow the work, not that she wants to hang on to anything just the task of getting it all down! I want to create 3 areas- 1) Sewing room, 2) General storage and 3) Christmas decorations, although I do intend to have a clear out before anything goes back up there.

Simple Pleasures Had an afternoon out with Mum, lunch and brouse around some shops, bought a couple of Christmas Presents, so I'm on track to have them all bought by end of Summer, although I have been advised to wait until November to buy Mrs CRV present because of the warranty.

Never look down on anyone- unless you're admiring their shoes!

Have a good weekend!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback