Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fermi
    • By fermi 6th Jun 14, 1:18 PM
    • 39,669Posts
    • 47,650Thanks
    fermi
    DMP & Mutual Support Thread - Part 10
    • 6th Jun 14, 1:18 PM
    DMP & Mutual Support Thread - Part 10 6th Jun 14 at 1:18 PM
    Once again the old thread was getting a bit large, so here is a fresh thread.

The previous thread can be found here: Click ---> DMP Mutual Support Thread (Part 9)

Or click here for the last page of posts on the old thread. ---> Last Page

Good luck with your DMP everyone.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Bankruptcy, Credit Cards and Loans boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
Page 252
    • Hopelessly Hopeful
    • By Hopelessly Hopeful 11th Jul 15, 6:55 AM
    • 3,383 Posts
    • 8,815 Thanks
    Hopelessly Hopeful
    Morning All

Sterling work as ever Sazzie, well done and thanks

Hope everyone doing well and surviving the summer

HHx
    • timetosayenough
    • By timetosayenough 11th Jul 15, 12:12 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 167 Thanks
    timetosayenough
    Hi everyone,

Jon, really pleased all went ok for you. Bet its a huge relief.

One minute I've got my head round what I've got to do and the next I'm doubting everything so quick question.

I've sent letters off to all my creditors explaining the situation and giving them stepchange ref no. The only thing is if I can I want to start DMP in couple of months so I can save emergency fund. Got nothing at mo. In the meantime as far as I understand for those couple of months I send token payments to them. Have I got that right? I got postal orders in the week and I was going to send token payment to credit card people but the young girl said no. So now am a bit confused.

Thanks everyone.
    12,432 - debt free February 2018
    • Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 11th Jul 15, 4:17 PM
    • 3,346 Posts
    • 16,760 Thanks
    Puzzcat
    Hi everyone,

One minute I've got my head round what I've got to do and the next I'm doubting everything so quick question.

I've sent letters off to all my creditors explaining the situation and giving them stepchange ref no. The only thing is if I can I want to start DMP in couple of months so I can save emergency fund. Got nothing at mo. In the meantime as far as I understand for those couple of months I send token payments to them. Have I got that right? I got postal orders in the week and I was going to send token payment to credit card people but the young girl said no. So now am a bit confused.

Thanks everyone.
    Originally posted by timetosayenough
    Hi,
    Yes doing token payments is a good idea and you need to tell SC when you want to start the dmp so they can tell the creditors. I posted a template a few pages back that you can send to each creditor each month until the dmp starts. You need to pay a token payment a 1 to each every month is fine. I did 3 months of tokens before starting.
    Puzz.x
    Christmas 2019 368 cash/99 vouchers
    I love my dmp started in Nov 13 with SC. Self Managed 2016 57% done
    60062/25624.84 - 13222.60k UE

MY DIARY
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4768685
    • timetosayenough
    • By timetosayenough 11th Jul 15, 4:34 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 167 Thanks
    timetosayenough
    Brilliant, thanks Puzz. Will go and look at template.
    12,432 - debt free February 2018
    • FuzzyDF
    • By FuzzyDF 11th Jul 15, 8:09 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 647 Thanks
    FuzzyDF
    Oh Dear
    Apologies newbies and oldies that I haven't been on here for a while! I'll have a read through most of the posts I've missed out on (promise).

DMP has been running smoothly since it began (have managed to pay 4,000) off in a year. I also landed myself a new job therefore I upped my payment to SC after my review.

My new job has not been so fine and dandy as I have a boss who is making me do the work of 3 people and in short I am not coping with the workload. He is basically setting me up to fail. Have approached HR but they say that there is nothing that they can do. As I am on a six month probationary period he can give me a weeks notice at any time should he be unhappy. He's given me two weeks (how lovely). I'm obviously in a bit of a panic as I won't have a job in a fortnight and I won't be able to fork out 400 to step change. I plan to do some temping in the interim but that doesn't pay too well.

Bit stuck.....would appreciate the kind advice that I normally get on here.
    LBM 2 June 2014
    • Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 11th Jul 15, 9:24 PM
    • 3,346 Posts
    • 16,760 Thanks
    Puzzcat
    Apologies newbies and oldies that I haven't been on here for a while! I'll have a read through most of the posts I've missed out on (promise).

DMP has been running smoothly since it began (have managed to pay 4,000) off in a year. I also landed myself a new job therefore I upped my payment to SC after my review.

My new job has not been so fine and dandy as I have a boss who is making me do the work of 3 people and in short I am not coping with the workload. He is basically setting me up to fail. Have approached HR but they say that there is nothing that they can do. As I am on a six month probationary period he can give me a weeks notice at any time should he be unhappy. He's given me two weeks (how lovely). I'm obviously in a bit of a panic as I won't have a job in a fortnight and I won't be able to fork out 400 to step change. I plan to do some temping in the interim but that doesn't pay too well.

Bit stuck.....would appreciate the kind advice that I normally get on here.
    Originally posted by FuzzyDF
    Hi Fuzzy,
    You can only pay what you can afford and if that is back to token payments then so be it.
    Puzz.x
    Christmas 2019 368 cash/99 vouchers
    I love my dmp started in Nov 13 with SC. Self Managed 2016 57% done
    60062/25624.84 - 13222.60k UE

MY DIARY
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4768685
    • Sazzie23
    • By Sazzie23 11th Jul 15, 11:39 PM
    • 2,620 Posts
    • 10,506 Thanks
    Sazzie23
    Hi Fuzzy,
    You can only pay what you can afford and if that is back to token payments then so be it.
    Puzz.x
    Originally posted by Puzzcat
    Hi Fuzz, sorry to hear that, bit pants, but at least you won't be stuck in a job you hate with someone sho doesn't appreciate you

The right job will come along soon, remember you've been making the payments while you can, you are still one one of the good guys and not running away, you are just reducing payments for a while. SC will accept 5 per creditor if that's all you can afford, I thin they suspend the DMP if it's goes below that.

Yes it might push the DFD back for a bit, but bigge r picture, you'll, be happier and might be on for finding an even better job. Is there any point looking at previous job again?

You know where we are
    Debt -it's a fight that I'm winning, dealing with debt one day at a time.
    Estimated DFD August 2018 - 2031 - now 2027

Guide dog Tess, missing Scotland 2 years

DMP support no438.
    • Sazzie23
    • By Sazzie23 11th Jul 15, 11:46 PM
    • 2,620 Posts
    • 10,506 Thanks
    Sazzie23
    Hi everyone,

Thanks everyone.
    Originally posted by timetosayenough
    Yeah I had that advice once when I went back to tokens, I'm not sure if it's because it costs them to process payments or because they are trying to be kind and make sure you are ok financially (yes really), or is there some deeper financial meaning?

I still did the tokens though, it proves you are still there, still communicating, still intending to pay. Oh and for anyone on tokens, or reducing, the only thiing that's happened to me is that I have had interest cut and defaults on 2 more of my debts, actually I'm now paying more off my HBOS now than I was before I reduced payments!

Despite this, Ilve still got that DFD of 2018 in my mind, I just need to figure out how to get to it. . That's the whole point of my DMP.
    Debt -it's a fight that I'm winning, dealing with debt one day at a time.
    Estimated DFD August 2018 - 2031 - now 2027

Guide dog Tess, missing Scotland 2 years

DMP support no438.
    • FuzzyDF
    • By FuzzyDF 12th Jul 15, 8:38 AM
    • 147 Posts
    • 647 Thanks
    FuzzyDF
    Thank you guys. Wise words and a bit of comfort from you as always. I shall look forward and not back.

Will get onto SC in the morning.
    LBM 2 June 2014
    • fermi
    • By fermi 12th Jul 15, 8:52 AM
    • 39,669 Posts
    • 47,650 Thanks
    fermi
    It is that time again, so please continue on the:

DMP & Mutual Support Thread - Part 11

Thank you everyone.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Bankruptcy, Credit Cards and Loans boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

83Posts Today

1,216Users online

Martin's Twitter