Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 28th May 08, 1:24 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    June 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 28th May 08, 1:24 AM
    June 2008 Grocery Challenge 28th May 08 at 1:24 AM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the sixth Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your March budget, then keep on posting in the May Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz

Wishing everyone a good month.

Pink

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 03-06-2008 at 4:50 PM.
Page 107
  • WelshWoofer
    Hello!
    Am feeling pleased but panicky at the same time!
    We booked our holiday last night - just a week in Portugal but well needed and very looked forward to - and now have to pay for it! Had £370 in savings for it and it came to £450 so I need to claw back £80 from somewhere to stop it using overdraft/credit card/other savings.

I have done an inventory of the cupboards and freezer and have quite a few meals I can conjure up if I try cooking for a change but its the lunch time stuff that I'll hav eto part with some cash for. I usually take fruit and a bagel/sandwich to work with me but I'm down to about half a bag of apples and nothing else now! I'm only in the office for 3 days next week so will try to be creative for those few days because if I go to Mr T's for just a few bits and pieces I'll end up spending more than I want to and impulse buying.

My month ends next Friday/Saturday so I should be within target if I only go to the little greengrocers for a little bit of veg to put in my concocotions for the week.
    My new budget starts on Saturday 28th and its a 5 week month but I'm on holiday for a week so only need to cater for 4 weeks.
    I'm really going to try to spend just £20 a week on groceries for those 4 weeks to have a frugal month - will have to be a bit more inventive!

Is anybody else feeling a bit panicky with all of the money warnings on the news this week? Its a bit unnecessary for me really as I have the cash to survive (not loaded but trying to economise to pay off debts more quickly) but I think I'm joining in with the hysteria!

Must calm down!!!
    Last edited by WelshWoofer; 19-06-2008 at 11:24 AM.
    January grocery spending - 82.73/ 120
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Hi rachelmk..

im like you..at the moment cutting down through choice -well that and knowing there are more interesting things we could be doing with the money -rather than just eating it... but now im almost starting to see it as a dummy run for when we have to come back to the UK ..the prices seem to be spiraling up n up...
    still at least im getting loads of practice in making things go further.. growing what i can so when we DO come back i should have it down to a fine art

For your lunches -have you tried making your own bagels? really easy and gorgeous too or what about tortillas...again easy to make and really cheap
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • FelineFantastic

For your lunches -have you tried making your own bagels? really easy and gorgeous too or what about tortillas...again easy to make and really cheap
    Originally posted by MRSMCAWBER
    Mrs M do you have a bagel recipe for us to try- I hope its fairly idiot proof!

RachelMK if you have eggs how about a crustless flan for lunches? Or i have dinner leftovers sometimes or make my own soup or tuna pasta salad or whatever and pasta salad depending on your freezer-- sorry I have lunch everyday and have a sandwich phobia! :rolleyes:

Need to update siggie- am aiming for no more needed this first week after veggie delivery tomorrow and have meal planned for all of July now- we have some comings and goings after that so it will be a bit more up and down and I want to save while I can *feels viruous*

Does anyone know if you can get the Frontline for cats without a prescription and if its cheaper?
    June Budget= 151.41/150
    10 NSDs (with teenagers !!)= 8
    Reduced my overdraft a little today- slow but sure!
    • isthatreduced
    • By isthatreduced 19th Jun 08, 11:44 AM
    • 592 Posts
    • 987 Thanks
    isthatreduced
    Hi everyone,

It has been difficult keeping track this month,as my first order from Asda came without a delivery note ,and it took over two weeks to sort out,along with errors they had made such as delivering skimmed milk instead of semi-skimmed.

Plus I popped in to Asda(something I rarely do)to buy stationary for DD who has started 3rd year at high School and I bought some reduced bits and lost the receipt(twice lol),but I did use MOC which helped.

Luckily DD didn't notice the skimmed in her cereal so I didn't have to buy more from the local overpriced shop and Asda eventually refunded me along with other mistakes they had made.( I am currently mixing the skimmed milk with whole milk to use it up)

I am going to Asda to pick up DD glasses from the optition and intend to buy some stuff for next month such as the milk while it is still on offer and other things I can't get online so I will add that to next months budget ,but I think I will be able to get next months down a good bit with all the bulk buying I have been doing in the hope of staving off some price increases.

I bought about 6kg of Smart price rice at 45p a kg(it has gone back up to 90p) I previously only bought Asda Basmati but it is now 3.60 for 2kg

I tried the SP rice years ago and didn't like it because much of the grains were broken but I now find it better quality.

I don't expect to buy any more this month other than some stuff for DD school trip to Alton Towers (it's a long Journey from Just outside Glasgow)
    so I need to get her enough to keep her going.

Wishing everyone well.
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Hi feeline

Here you go... it does sound like a lot of faff..but they are quick enough to do and i reckon they are the best bagels i have ever had..plus you can eat them untoasted -unlike the shop ones....and they freeze brilliantly
    You can leave the onions n poppy seeds out if you want..i added those to the original recipe as they are my fave
    bagels -makes 8
    1. 1 cup warm water
    2. 1 tbs soft butter
    3. 1tsp sugar
    4. 3tsp salt
    5. 3 cups white bread flour
    6. 1 1/2 tsp yeast..... i used 20g of fresh
    7. 1tbs poppy seeds
    8. 2 tbsp fried onions (the crispy ones in tubs for salads)
    • tip the flour and salt into a large bowl and make a well in the centre
    • mix the fresh yeast, sugar and water and pour into the well add the butter (if using dried yeast -tip into flour but don't add the salt until you are kneading in the seeds n onions )
    • mix to form a soft dough
    • tip in the onions and poppy seeds
    • and knead to combine
    • leave to prove until double in size
    • cut into 8 pieces..mine were about 90g
    • roll into a sausage -about 9" - form into a ring and pinch the edges together (I formed mine around a barts spice bottle to get even-ish sizes ) and some folks have dampened the ends with water to help them stick
    • place on a greased baking sheet -or on a silicone liner, cover loosely with oiled cling film or a split carrier bag and leave to prove for 20 mins
    • bring a pan of water to the boil, pop 2-3 bagles into the pan and cook for 1 min -turning half way through...they do swell slightly
    • lift out and gently shake to remove water
    • place on silicone liner /oiled baking sheet and when all done place in a preheated oven -200c/400f/gas 6 and bake for about 15-20 mins (you can glaze -before baking if you like with 1 egg yolk and 1tbs water mixed)
    • remove onto cooling rack and cool
  • WelshWoofer
    Thanks to MrsM and FF!
    Tuna pasta salad is a fab idea as I have a glut of dried pasta, sweetcorn, tins of tuna, mayo and some kidney beans that could juggled together to make a big pot of something edible that even I could manage to do!
    Unfortunately I don't have any eggs and won't use all of them before my travels so maybe its a false economy for me to buy them:confused:

You guys are truly brilliant!!
    Think I'll only end up spending less than a fiver this weekend to see me through to next weekend and the new budget. Cheers!
    Last edited by WelshWoofer; 19-06-2008 at 11:50 AM.
    January grocery spending - 82.73/ 120
    • shala_moo
    • By shala_moo 19th Jun 08, 11:49 AM
    • 3,253 Posts
    • 27,239 Thanks
    shala_moo
    FelineFantastic they sell Frontline at Pets at Home 12.99 for 3 * 0.5ml, not sure how much it is at the vets these days.

I used to buy this but I now get flea tablets, think they are made by Johnson's. you get about 6 in a pack and they cost around 8.00. I find them more effective than the Frontline drops and you don't get the cats spending hours trying to lick the drops off. Although they do start to scratch for a few hours.

HTH
    Actual Mortgage = 166,050106,955.58
    Mortgage Offset % = 39.23%
    Mortgage Neutral Date = Dec 2036May 2025
    Mortgage Neutral position = 64,993.26 outstanding
  • FelineFantastic
    Thanks Shala_Moo- where do you get the tablets from? I have to say that sometimes we have to Frontline one of the cats at 3 weeks instead of 4 because he cleans himself too much so if these work better then that may be a good idea.

Thanks MrsMC-- am going to try these- I love onion bagels- they are my favourite- and it doesn't seem that much of a faff- may say differently if the kitchen looks a tip afterwards tho! Do you oil the clingfilm with olive or veggie oil?

RachelMK- I also do my pasta salad with mixed bean salad- tinned about 40p places as an alternative-- I do mixed bean and pea risotto too with this as it makes a veggie change! I also use soya beans sometimes as they taste fab and are filling
    June Budget= 151.41/150
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Ok just a quick one...

My fruit and coconut concoction loaf is out of the oven(and i managed not to over cook the sultanas sticking out can't stand burnt fruit) and its cooled -well just enough to cut .... terrible really as that crust has just vanished with a smear of rhubarb n strawberry jam mmmmmmmm ...well thats my lunch for today

Feline..forgot to say that i don't waste cling film..I split a carrier bag and use it like a tent over them..and you don't have to oil it that way either
    • chocolateteddy
    • By chocolateteddy 19th Jun 08, 12:18 PM
    • 503 Posts
    • 3,197 Thanks
    chocolateteddy
    Does anyone know if you can get the Frontline for cats without a prescription and if its cheaper?
    Originally posted by FelineFantastic
    You can buy frontline without a prescription but if you want frontline combo you will need to ask vet for a prescription (free of charge) The combo one stops the eggs hatching and keeps house clear as well the normal forntline just kills the fleas on cat. I buy all mine online thanks to a forum on here (try putting cheap pet resciprions in forums search at top of page-should come up with it)
    I use www.vetuk.co.uk as when I ordered they were the cheapest but that will give you an idea of cost some charge p&p (for frontline I think it was free or very low) but they were quick for my cat food
    HTH
    Thanks to MSE savings we got to go to Disneyworld Florida.

Slimming World Target - Lose 60 lbs
    Journey started 14th Nov 2016
    Weight loss to date 27 lbs
    • *BigBird*
    • By *BigBird* 19th Jun 08, 12:35 PM
    • 948 Posts
    • 5,077 Thanks
    *BigBird*
    MrsM that loaf looks lush! It's got me itching to get downstairs and bake something so I can have a nice warm crust from a freshly baked loaf But I'm working from home today and don't think the boss will appreciate me baking instead of doing the work they're paying me to do!!!
    You can do anything, make anything, dream anything. If you change the world, the world will change.
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 19th Jun 08, 12:49 PM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar

I bought about 6kg of Smart price rice at 45p a kg(it has gone back up to 90p) I previously only bought Asda Basmati but it is now 3.60 for 2kg .
    Originally posted by isthatreduced
    Lidl does a basmati rice, 10kg for 11.99, so 1.20 per kg- cheaper than the Asda basmati one.
  • jackk
    Mrs M do you have a bagel recipe for us to try- I hope its fairly idiot proof!

RachelMK if you have eggs how about a crustless flan for lunches? Or i have dinner leftovers sometimes or make my own soup or tuna pasta salad or whatever and pasta salad depending on your freezer-- sorry I have lunch everyday and have a sandwich phobia! :rolleyes:

Need to update siggie- am aiming for no more needed this first week after veggie delivery tomorrow and have meal planned for all of July now- we have some comings and goings after that so it will be a bit more up and down and I want to save while I can *feels viruous*

Originally posted by FelineFantastic

You can get frontline from http://www.vetuk.co.uk/ without perscription, a lot cheaper than the vets.

Jackie x

Oops, as posted by chocolateteddy lol, i had'nt read that far yet hehe
    Last edited by jackk; 19-06-2008 at 1:24 PM.
    • egon
    • By egon 19th Jun 08, 1:27 PM
    • 439 Posts
    • 5,654 Thanks
    egon
    Afternoon all

Ok its official im a numpty sorry EGON... yes i do have a bag of that flour in my cupboards... i got it when you told me about it before ...i have used some but i mixed it with dinkel (my fave word ) spelt flour to us Brits and one with sunflower seeds in.. will have to try it just as a plain white loaf next time... hubby loves good old white bread..
    Do you find German bread more dense? is that why you like it? i haven't had any shop bread since i got here..but last time we were out here i used to buy some..and always love the huge range of seeded breads you can get ...
    Originally posted by MRSMCAWBER
    Hi Mrs M,

Let me know, how the white bread worked out.

I do like the different tastes of the german breads. Yes, it is more dense.
    It is made with sourdough (sp?) and this seem to give it a different texture.
    Have you ever tried making german bread?
    I cannot use Lidl mixtures, as the e numbers in there make me ill. (with any type of bread mixture!)

I let you know my outcome.

Egon
    I wish Germany had a website like moneysavingexpert!
  • FelineFantastic
    You can buy frontline without a prescription but if you want frontline combo you will need to ask vet for a prescription (free of charge) The combo one stops the eggs hatching and keeps house clear as well the normal forntline just kills the fleas on cat. I buy all mine online thanks to a forum on here (try putting cheap pet resciprions in forums search at top of page-should come up with it)
    I use www.vetuk.co.uk as when I ordered they were the cheapest but that will give you an idea of cost some charge p&p (for frontline I think it was free or very low) but they were quick for my cat food
    HTH
    Originally posted by chocolateteddy
    Thank you- we have the combo at the moment- is it just me that's scared of the vets receptionist then?? I will be brave and go and ask for a prescription

I get annoyed having to pay so much each time and they don't have the guts to put up a charge list at our vets either so its always a big surprise when you go to pay!

Am trying to work on getting all the household costs down!

MrsMC- I will try the carrier bag trick then- ta-- just being nosey how long has your hubby been in the forces for if you have been stationed there before?
    June Budget= 151.41/150
    • Flylady_Flower
    • By Flylady_Flower 19th Jun 08, 2:14 PM
    • 2,853 Posts
    • 62,435 Thanks
    Flylady_Flower
    I also don't know where the local Lidl's store is here, although I do know there is one! Have to find it, as I believe it's fairly close by!
    Originally posted by Triggles
    Hi Triggles,
    I've been a bit like that - head not working in conjunction with my body, which just seems to want to sleep all the time ... Don't worry, it'll all work itself out.

On the Lidls front, here is their website with store locations, hope it helps you find yours: http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c.service.s.sts.index
    LBM April 2013 - 29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC 783.75
    Barclaycard CC 1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC 1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD 1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - 95.00 budget / spend -
    • isthatreduced
    • By isthatreduced 19th Jun 08, 2:22 PM
    • 592 Posts
    • 987 Thanks
    isthatreduced
    Lidl does a basmati rice, 10kg for 11.99, so 1.20 per kg- cheaper than the Asda basmati one.
    Originally posted by OrkneyStar
    Thanks for that ,I don't have a Lidi near me and I don't drive(trying hard to rectify that,four lessons this week).

If I am honest I found Basmati easier to cook ,that isn't a worry now
  • annelouise
    Super Shopper
    Getting close to budget with only 9 euros to go.....

Spent 40 euro's in new Eroski supermarket today = £31.44 on

* 2 x large turkey drumsticks for soup 2 euro
    *12 cartons chocolate milk
    *6 litres of apple juice
    *4 litres of pineapple juice
    *Cheese tortellini 500g
    *Meat tortellini 500g
    *Ravioli 500g
    *Ketchup 55g
    *12 fromage frais
    *12 yoghurts
    *1kg hot chocolate mix
    *12 tins tuna
    *3 large bars white chocolate for baking
    *2kg red apples
    *2kg green apples
    *6 tins sweetcorn
    *1 box cocktail biscuits for packed lunches
    *1 jar cocktail onions
    *1kg onions
    *1kg carrots
    *1kg pasta spirals
    *1kg long spaghetti
    *3 x tomato frito
    *1 box icing sugar
    *16 strawb jellies
    *1 tin mushrooms
    *3 litres house wine for sangria
    *6 individual apple juices for packed lunches

Didn't think that was so bad.

Have got the 2nd lot of lemonade cooling in the fridge,a jelly on the side.

We are going out for a Curry tonight as it was my dd8,dd9 end of term production and dd8 was Oliver in Oliver Twist -bless they were both great.So the nasi goreng will be used up tomorrow.

Rescued 10 large plant pots from a skip on my early morning walk and will need to wash them before I use them.The lettuces look as if they'll make it this time hopefully and courgettes are doing great.

Sausages and Cream need using??? Cookinmummy?? - cook sausages,cook onions in fat,stir in wholegrain mustard and cream,simmer add sausages and serve with potato,rice or pasta and veggies.

annelouise
    Last edited by annelouise; 19-06-2008 at 4:48 PM. Reason: extra shopping
    Be who you are and say what you think because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind....Dr Seuss
    • angelnikki
    • By angelnikki 19th Jun 08, 2:30 PM
    • 892 Posts
    • 16,972 Thanks
    angelnikki
    Originally posted by OrkneyStar
    isthatreduced MrT's value basmati rice is 1/KG

Nikki
    x
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Hi all

Egon.. I will need to make a loaf tomorrow..so i will use the flour then and report back
    I used the sonntags flour for the fruit/coconut loaf i made earlier.. i got that flour when looking for normal bread flour when i first got here but realised it was for sweetened stuff.... and that fruit bread is stunning made with it I think its a bit like what us brits call Brioche bread..
    I use the other flours for my bread so have dinkle, and sunflower and allsorts that i love.. and its because it makes a sturdy dense loaf.
    I haven't tried making German bread.... but im sure if someone gave me a recipe i would do it..nudge nudge wink wink
    Its strange..i don't get on with bread mixes either -i get really bad head aches if i use them.. but even when i eat my own white bread..i fall asleep within 30 mins so i think i have a problem with the white stuff (not that it stops me eating it sometimes )

Hi feline.. hubby has done his 22 years... but we have only been married for 6years so when we got married i moved out for the 1 year left in his posting ..then got posted to Suffolk for 3 years..and then when he was due to leave and we were going back to Nottinghamshire -where im from..they offered him another 5 years..and we said yes if we could come out to Germany again ... hubby has spent 19 years in Germany and i just love the place... plus we pay no car tax or tax on fuel... no TV liecence and get paid extra for being abroad ..it was to god an opportunity to miss this is our chance to get everything but our mortgage paid off and then hubbies lump sum pension when he finishes should pay off our mortgage (at the moment the house is let out so someone else is paying most of our mortgage for the first 8 years )....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,839Posts Today

4,120Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Delighted people are pushing @BorisJohnson on getting proper financial ed in schools. He says not enough resourc? https://t.co/c8Eb6BAwgU

• RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Follow Martin