Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 28th May 08, 1:24 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    June 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 28th May 08, 1:24 AM
    June 2008 Grocery Challenge 28th May 08 at 1:24 AM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the sixth Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your March budget, then keep on posting in the May Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz

Wishing everyone a good month.

Pink

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 03-06-2008 at 4:50 PM.
Page 104
    • Flylady_Flower
    • By Flylady_Flower 18th Jun 08, 11:58 AM
    • 2,853 Posts
    • 62,435 Thanks
    Flylady_Flower
    DeniseFowler-- whats freecycle?? Sorry its another idiot question *puts on dunces hat and sits in corner*
    Originally posted by FelineFantastic
    Ha ha, if you're in the corner then I'm joining you... I only found out about it about 2 months ago off my friend, now I'm never off and forever spreading the word.

It's part of the Yahoo groups and is a place where people advertise stuff they no longer want for free! You can post stuff you want too, so asking for a BM is fine. you sign up to your local one and then you receive emails everytime someone lists something for offer or request. Here is the link if it helps: http://groups.yahoo.com/
    Just put in freecycle and your town in the search engine and it should come up, then just sign up (you can browse first to get an idea of what is on offer).

Happy searching,
    Denise

Forgot to add, it's a great way of recycling (hence the name!) and people put some amazing things on there for free so well worth a look, plus if you have anything you no longer want and can't be bothered to take it to the tip, put it on...
    Last edited by Flylady_Flower; 18-06-2008 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Forgot to add
    LBM April 2013 - 29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC 783.75
    Barclaycard CC 1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC 1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD 1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - 95.00 budget / spend -
  • shelley1977
    haven't spent alot over the last few days.my son went to the co op for me to get a few thing and they didnt use the healthy start voucher properly so when i complained the next day they sorted it out and gave me double back as it was on one of there own products.i then used another 2 vouchers and the change they gave me so didnt spend any extra till yesterday.8.04 at tescos.i had a 10 voucher for woolies and managed to get a load of seeds to plant in my new raised bed.was even happier to discover all the seeds where reduced to 60p.there not even near there use by date.
    Adopt don't buy
    Rabbit rehome
    Give a bunny a forever home
    • ifonlyitwaseasier
    • By ifonlyitwaseasier 18th Jun 08, 12:10 PM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 20,347 Thanks
    ifonlyitwaseasier
    well the rumours are true, asda are doing 10 muller corners for 2!!!!!! woohooooooo, now have a nice selection for OH to enjoy.
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• *BigBird*
    • By *BigBird* 18th Jun 08, 12:22 PM
    • 948 Posts
    • 5,077 Thanks
    *BigBird*
    Hi *BigBird* - your colleague obviously didn't see a recent TV prog where they had a guy from "Which" who said that Lidl products are on a Par with Sainsbury's - the reason they are cheaper is that they are a worldwide company so buy in bigger bulk, keep Staff costs down to a minimum and have no frills layout in Supermarket.
    Originally posted by scotsaver
    I know - dunno what she thinks they sell in Lidl. I picked up all of my F&V for the week (apart from peppers as I had to pop to Mr T's after work anyway), and it's the same quality I'd expect from Mr T. They had the biggest courgettes I've ever seen! Also picked up a huge Chorizo sausage for OH for much less than Mr T charges for a few slices. I normally go to Mr T as it's across the road from where I work and easy to pop in on my way home, but I'm going to make the effort to get down to Lidl once or twice a month instead in future.

Weather permitting, I am off to a birthday picnic this weekend. What can I take with me that's a little more exciting than just sandwiches, but doesn't cost the earth? Does anyone know how to make mini picnic eggs? Or proper scotch eggs, for that matter?
    You can do anything, make anything, dream anything. If you change the world, the world will change.
    • russetred
    • By russetred 18th Jun 08, 12:28 PM
    • 1,232 Posts
    • 9,385 Thanks
    russetred
    I've not had internet access for 4 days and its been awful! I had over 500 emails mostly to delete when I got my broadband back on. I hate Orange! but on a better note I've not spent much still too much to catch up on on here I think.
    "Sometimes life sucks....but the alternative is unacceptable."
    • egon
    • By egon 18th Jun 08, 12:35 PM
    • 439 Posts
    • 5,654 Thanks
    egon
    Evening all

Chocolate teddy... I know..I sound mad-but LIDL sell some things only in the UK stores etc..my bloomin bread flour being one of them . most German bread flours have the yeast allready in there and i like fresh yeast..so when i use dinkle flour etc for bread i still use the same amount of fresh yeast. I can get tesco own or hovis flour in the NAFFI but the tesco own is over 1 a bag:rolleyes: .....still cheaper than buying bread (which i haven't done for as long as i can remember) but if that lovely man can drag me the stuff i like from LIDL over its sooooo much cheaper
    Originally posted by MRSMCAWBER
    Hi Mrs M,

Have you tried the Mehl Typ 505? That is the flour used in Germany for making bread. Also, there is no yeast in it.

I've just ordered 2 Bread making books from the german amazon, as I am craving german bread. See how they are going to work out!
    I wish Germany had a website like moneysavingexpert!
  • miecherox

Weather permitting, I am off to a birthday picnic this weekend. What can I take with me that's a little more exciting than just sandwiches, but doesn't cost the earth? Does anyone know how to make mini picnic eggs? Or proper scotch eggs, for that matter?
    Originally posted by *BigBird*
    I recently made scotch eggs for the first time and it was really easy -

Hard boil eggs
    Mould sausage meat around to what ever thickness you want (I couldn't find sausage meat so squeezed meat out of a few sausages!!)
    Roll in beaten egg
    Roll in breadcrumbs (I used Homemade from leftover bread etc)

Bake in oven about gas 6 / 200C until sausage cooked - I think mine took about 20 mins.

They were lovely. You could extras such as apple, or paprika to the sausage meat as well for a different flavour.

HTH
    #118 DFW Debt freely Christmas 2012 Challenge
  • tq16
    Morning Morning!!

Hope that everyone is okay today (((hugs))) for all who need them- and anyone who doesn't!!

greent and denisefowler-- thanks for the update on yeast and bread flour

tq16- could you please repost or point me in the direction of the no kneeding recipe please as I have no bread maker yet either and I would like to start making my own and some rolls for lunches too

Lidl's today-- start of my new month's housekeeping and I have my fruit and veg delivery ordered and hardly need anything else- so good start to the month-- hurrah!!!
    No Yeast Bread/bread rolls

225g wholemeal brown strong flour
    225g plain flour
    1tsp bicarb soda
    1tsp cream of tartar
    1/4 pint milk
    1/2 pint water
    1 tbsp golden syrup

1. Mix dry ingredients
    2. put milk and syrup in jug add boiling water
    3. add milk mix to dry ingredients-mix with metal spoon
    4. pour mix into pound loaf tin, or use spoon to scoop onto baking tray for rolls
    5. cook for half hour at 190

-I use pampered chef stoneware which doesn't need greasing but if using tin would def grease.
    - enjoy :-)
    (Family of 5: 2 adults & 3 children aged 7yrs, 4yrs, and 18months)
  • dink1
    so far nsd!!!!
    Hi Guys,

I will not go to the shops, I will not go to the shops, I do not NEED anything I will not go to the shops!!!! (hope I start believing it soon! am determined to limbo under budget or only just over.

Nesquick80 Sorry to hear you are not feelin too good today, try a HM hot toddy. (might not work but if you have enough you dont care that it doesnt)

Mummygems - don't beat yourself up, just think of how much it would have been over if you didnt do the GC.

Big Mumma F Am off to see the popcorn coating. Have you tried any yet?

dink1
    JanGC 250/82 far:weight loss 1lb cc250/86/cm40/9.50
  • FelineFantastic
    Will update siggie later after Lidl shop- spent more than expected but useful store cupboard stuff- particularly flour while on offer and cheese as tons of it gets eaten in our house (wonder if the cats eat that as well as the chocolate??!!)

DF-- thanks will use the link later and see what there is on offer in my area- or will take your advise and ask!

tq16-- thanks very much- will try these- strange to put the golden syrup in- are they very sweet (I always feel stoooopid asking these questions!!)

Hope everyone is having a great day

Axx
    June Budget= 151.41/150
    10 NSDs (with teenagers !!)= 8
    Reduced my overdraft a little today- slow but sure!
    • Flylady_Flower
    • By Flylady_Flower 18th Jun 08, 2:25 PM
    • 2,853 Posts
    • 62,435 Thanks
    Flylady_Flower
    Will update siggie later after Lidl shop- spent more than expected but useful store cupboard stuff- particularly flour while on offer and cheese as tons of it gets eaten in our house (wonder if the cats eat that as well as the chocolate??!!)

DF-- thanks will use the link later and see what there is on offer in my area- or will take your advise and ask!
    No problem, I love it and am nearly as addicted to it as I am this site - I love sifting through the emails as soon as they arrive to see what's on offer - have had 3 tomatoe plants, a tree for the garden, BM (plus one for my mum), a triple wardrobe plus a TV/Video, DVD player and loads of Videos for our local club to use for the kids! Am currently looking on there for a pot bellied stove for my sister who lives in maidstone as she wants to change hers. I have given loads away too, including stuff for playstation, overalls and an evening dress for a young girl going to her school prom!

Sorry, rambling there a bit, but it is cool.

I'd watch your cats too if I were you, quite the hungry little hippos arn't they

Have a great day, hope it's better where you are, its raining here!
  • FelineFantastic
    No problem, I love it and am nearly as addicted to it as I am this site - I love sifting through the emails as soon as they arrive to see what's on offer - have had 3 tomatoe plants, a tree for the garden, BM (plus one for my mum), a triple wardrobe plus a TV/Video, DVD player and loads of Videos for our local club to use for the kids! Am currently looking on there for a pot bellied stove for my sister who lives in maidstone as she wants to change hers. I have given loads away too, including stuff for playstation, overalls and an evening dress for a young girl going to her school prom!

I'd watch your cats too if I were you, quite the hungry little hippos arn't they

Originally posted by denisefowler
    Definitely going to look then! Sounds great and I am always looking for good homes for 'stuff'! Where does stuff appear from?!!

My cats would rule the world given the chance I think- so they obviously need all that food for energy!!

no rain here yet- I am in chelmsford!- but I live 20 minutes from where I work and we get different weather! Does look v gloomy though- perfect for not having to water the garden and for sitting with laptop freecycling!!

Axx
    June Budget= 151.41/150
    • Flylady_Flower
    • By Flylady_Flower 18th Jun 08, 2:41 PM
    • 2,853 Posts
    • 62,435 Thanks
    Flylady_Flower
    Definitely going to look then! Sounds great and I am always looking for good homes for 'stuff'! Where does stuff appear from?!!

My cats would rule the world given the chance I think- so they obviously need all that food for energy!!

no rain here yet- I am in chelmsford!- but I live 20 minutes from where I work and we get different weather! Does look v gloomy though- perfect for not having to water the garden and for sitting with laptop freecycling!!

Axx
    Your cat's and my dog's - think we'd better look out and get a plan just in case!

You're not far from me, I'm in Basildon - same here, I work 10 mins away and it can be pouring down there and then I seem to drive through a screen where it just stops dead and the sun is shining... weird eh! :confused:
  • tq16

tq16-- thanks very much- will try these- strange to put the golden syrup in- are they very sweet (I always feel stoooopid asking these questions!!)

Hope everyone is having a great day

Axx
    i thought syrup strange too, not sweet at all, but just not as good without it, though still not bad so can be omitted if haven't got any.
    (Family of 5: 2 adults & 3 children aged 7yrs, 4yrs, and 18months)
    • KAAT_LADY
    • By KAAT_LADY 18th Jun 08, 2:52 PM
    • 4,640 Posts
    • 35,519 Thanks
    KAAT_LADY

Hi there denisefowler just been reading about your freecycle, its great isnt it I am addicted to it , I have been on ours for about 4months, the emails you can get is horrendous especially if you are a member of more than one , just been today to pick up some drawers as we needed them, also had plant pots and all sorts they always seem to have BMs I myself have just given one away its a nice way to do things, if you dont want it, dont just throw it away, find someone who does want it , there is always someone who wants something to help them along
  • FelineFantastic
    Your cat's and my dog's - think we'd better look out and get a plan just in case!

You're not far from me, I'm in Basildon - same here, I work 10 mins away and it can be pouring down there and then I seem to drive through a screen where it just stops dead and the sun is shining... weird eh! :confused:
    It is- I learned to check the home weather forecast before deciding to leave the washing out! I often head home and come across the equivilent of a line in the road where its wet one side and dry the other!

We definitely need a plan- one of the cats already is treating us like serfs! he even knocks on the cat flap to come it! :rolleyes:

tq16- I will try with the syrup then! Bit like the cake with vinegar idea- and that worked out scrummy!!

oooh- just about home time! hurrah!
    June Budget= 151.41/150
    • KAAT_LADY
    • By KAAT_LADY 18th Jun 08, 2:57 PM
    • 4,640 Posts
    • 35,519 Thanks
    KAAT_LADY
    It is- I learned to check the home weather forecast before deciding to leave the washing out! I often head home and come across the equivilent of a line in the road where its wet one side and dry the other!

We definitely need a plan- one of the cats already is treating us like serfs! he even knocks on the cat flap to come it! :rolleyes:

tq16- I will try with the syrup then! Bit like the cake with vinegar idea- and that worked out scrummy!!

oooh- just about home time! hurrah!

One of our cats rings the bell we have put up for him as he is so old he cant always get through the catflap, or the other cat wont let him in, and he used to knock on the flap to come ,in before the bell
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Afternoon all

Ok its official im a numpty sorry EGON... yes i do have a bag of that flour in my cupboards... i got it when you told me about it before ...i have used some but i mixed it with dinkel (my fave word ) spelt flour to us Brits and one with sunflower seeds in.. will have to try it just as a plain white loaf next time... hubby loves good old white bread..
    Do you find German bread more dense? is that why you like it? i haven't had any shop bread since i got here..but last time we were out here i used to buy some..and always love the huge range of seeded breads you can get ...

Well folks i have made the chicken n sweetcorn soup for hubby... but my hopes of that being the end of THAT particular chicken haven't quite happened ... i fetched the stock out of the fridge and i had boiled it for so long it has fetched the gelatine out of the bones so it had set like jelly so i had to let it down a bit -so it has made 2 1/2pt plus i just know its going to thicken once it cools so i will have to let it down further so i think i will wang 1/2 in the freezer for later in the week before hubby starts laying eggs thing is if he knows there is some left he will say he will have it tomorrow

Have been outside watering everything again and as well as the 12 sweet potato slips i have allready planted... the sweet potatoes i left out there whilst planting up a few weeks ago have produced more than 30 more slips now i just need some more tubs to set them in...if they all work im going to have rather a lot of sweet potatoes by october

Right i had betterget off and get something done
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
    • MERFE
    • By MERFE 18th Jun 08, 3:21 PM
    • 1,902 Posts
    • 5,933 Thanks
    MERFE
    Hiya everyone, just thought I would update with how I am doing. Well, I went to sainsburys last night for bread, milk and some fruit and spent 30 pounds, I really should stop wandering around the whole store. so of my 190 pound target I've spent 180 pounds, I'll have to be really strict for the next 2 weeks and hopefully I'll only go over a bit. It's like someone else said just imagine what I would have spent if I wasnt doing the challenge. DS is running a bit low on his baby dry nappies so i put one of DD pull up pants on him this morning and he said he was wearing knickers, I am looking forward to the summer holiday so that he can run round naked, gotta get him potty trained before this baby arrives.
    Save 12k in 2018 no 45 4276.48/6000
    • Flylady_Flower
    • By Flylady_Flower 18th Jun 08, 4:22 PM
    • 2,853 Posts
    • 62,435 Thanks
    Flylady_Flower
    Hi there denisefowler just been reading about your freecycle, its great isnt it I am addicted to it , I have been on ours for about 4months, the emails you can get is horrendous especially if you are a member of more than one , just been today to pick up some drawers as we needed them, also had plant pots and all sorts they always seem to have BMs I myself have just given one away its a nice way to do things, if you dont want it, dont just throw it away, find someone who does want it , there is always someone who wants something to help them along
    Originally posted by KAAT_LADY
    I know, I love it, and like you say, if you don't want it give it to someone else - always good karma anyway and I love anything where I build up good karma... . Everyone is so friendly too and really pleased to get the stuff from you.

Another no spend day today - 3 in all although I was going to make some twinks just now but don't have enough sugar, that would be because we have just found DS putting about half a bowl on his cereal every morning - no wonder he's always hyper! Still I don't want to go out just for that so will wait until tomorrow and get some on the way home from work (like to get home quick so I know I won't dawdle if I do that...

8 bread rolls rising on the tray at the moment and another batch in the BM - I did have the wrong yeast (tin looks yellow to me?) but still seems to be rising OK - we'll see. I'm a bit reluctant to use it for bread though as that seems to have been a bit doughy lately and that might be the reason, so will get some BM yeast tomorrow and make some fresh. I love my little loafs now, thanks again Mrs M for all your help.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

141Posts Today

1,938Users online

Martin's Twitter