Anyone Into Cross Stitching?

Comments

• bunbun2
    bunbun2 Posts: 3,540 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I re-started my 'wedding' cross stitch. I have done most of the big bits so it is a colour here a colour there. I did about an hour and have done about 1 cm square in total:rotfl: still at least i have made a start so thanks to everyone on here for getting me motivated:D
    saving for ds2's summer international scout camp - £200
    £60 deposit paid :j £100 paid:j £40 paid:j
  • rainmac
    rainmac Posts: 7,063 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    bunbun2 wrote: »
    I re-started my 'wedding' cross stitch. I have done most of the big bits so it is a colour here a colour there. I did about an hour and have done about 1 cm square in total:rotfl: still at least i have made a start so thanks to everyone on here for getting me motivated:D

I know what you mean, that's why I don't really do bigger pictures, I'm too impatient!!! :D
    :wave: If you want the rainbow, you've got to put up with the rain :wave:
  • rainmac
    Poppett, absolutely love the coffee cups! They are gorgeous, you must let us see a picture when finished.

I tend to stick to stitching one project at a time from start to finish and then move onto the next one. How do you decide where to stop one for a while and start another? Do you stop as you fancy a change? :rotfl:
  • poppett
    poppett Posts: 897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    rainmac wrote: »
    Poppett, absolutely love the coffee cups! They are gorgeous, you must let us see a picture when finished.

I tend to stick to stitching one project at a time from start to finish and then move onto the next one. How do you decide where to stop one for a while and start another? Do you stop as you fancy a change? :rotfl:

Hi Rainmac,

I don't usually start one and go onto something else but the Betty Boop is one I started ages ago and I ran out of the Madeira thread to finish it. I am having great difficulty in finding Madira stockists now. I should look on ebay to see if I can get it really.

The coffee cups was the one I was working on before this horse racing chart came through. I really wanted to get on with this as there is a story behind it. Last year my father-in-law was 60 and at the time we couldn't afford to get him anything special, so I'm hoping to get this finished for his birthday this year (July.....tall order!). So I will get round to completing the coffee cups one, maybe take that one into work and stitch a bit during break times.
    £2 savers club. No.90. Aim £500.
  • ladydriva
    ladydriva Posts: 265 Forumite
    hiyas, i used to do cross stitch at school,,im now 36, wouldnt mind giving it another go,, when im on nights at work etc ,, dont really no where to start tho.. what aida? dmc, madeira??
    sorry to sound so vague,
    id love to do the card things, that way id kill 2 birds with 1 stone so as to speak!!

thanks
  • MRSTITTLEMOUSE
    MRSTITTLEMOUSE Posts: 8,547 Forumite
    I've done cross stitch for years.I do a lot of antique samplers and I do love doing cats.I've made cushions,bags ect.I have so many pieces of finished work I know I'll never use them for anything.
    My favourite project which I have framed on my wall,is a Dutch sampler I made about 15 years ago,it took me ages to do but was worth it.
    I think there should be a warning on cross stitch kits ect,it's just so addictive.
  • poppett
    poppett Posts: 897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    ladydriva wrote: »
    hiyas, i used to do cross stitch at school,,im now 36, wouldnt mind giving it another go,, when im on nights at work etc ,, dont really no where to start tho.. what aida? dmc, madeira??
    sorry to sound so vague,
    id love to do the card things, that way id kill 2 birds with 1 stone so as to speak!!

thanks

I would suggest you bought a cross stitch mag with a mini free kit on to begin with again. Then you'll soon find yourself searching the craft shops! I wouldn't go for madeira threads now as I am finding their stockists few and far between. I have made myself a large collection of madeira threads over the years that I have been sewing but now replacing them is getting harder and harder. I have resorted to starting again with DMC.
    £2 savers club. No.90. Aim £500.
  • rainmac
    ladydriva wrote: »
    sorry to sound so vague,

thanks

eBay is a good place to pick up cheapie kits and materials. I agree about getting a mag with a free kit, these can often be turned into cards as they tend to be small. Happy stitching! :D
  • rainmac
    I've done cross stitch for years.I do a lot of antique samplers and I do love doing cats.I've made cushions,bags ect.I have so many pieces of finished work I know I'll never use them for anything.
    My favourite project which I have framed on my wall,is a Dutch sampler I made about 15 years ago,it took me ages to do but was worth it.
    I think there should be a warning on cross stitch kits ect,it's just so addictive.

Completely agree about cross stitch being addictive!!! Card making is an addictive craft as well so I combined the two to satisfy both needs! :D

Where do you get your kits/materials mrslittlemouse?
  • MRSTITTLEMOUSE
    MRSTITTLEMOUSE Posts: 8,547 Forumite
    rainmac wrote: »
    Completely agree about cross stitch being addictive!!! Card making is an addictive craft as well so I combined the two to satisfy both needs! :D

Where do you get your kits/materials mrslittlemouse?

I buy threads,fabrics ect from a local craft shop also John Lewis.I use Readicut and often use the adverts in the crosstitching mags.I do find you can get some good bargains from these mag adverts and they've always been good quality.I've never had any problems with mail order.I must admit I do tend to stockpile as I see a kit or some fabric or threads and just have to have them.
    I'm just about to start some needlepoint with a kit I bought over 20 years ago and never even opened till two days ago,so I hope everything is ok otherwise I'm going to have to make some adjustments as I'll never get it changed now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure