Sky to hike TV and broadband prices from April - MSE News

Options

Comments

• wild666
    wild666 Posts: 2,117 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can you get out of it early by the increase been more than the price of inflation? I got out of one with BT almost 3 years ago when they put up their prices. At the time I had BT sports free and they tried to make out that I owed them £220 for early termination. I contacted to CEO and used the wording about cancellation would be frowned upon by the relevant body if they didn't allow a cancellation because of increase above the rate of inflation.
    I had the full works at the time Internet, TV and their STB, it was lowered to £2 for the one day the internet was connected longer than the line.
    Someone please tell me what money is
  • wild666
    Options
    Alan3939 wrote: »
    I joined Sky TV and Broadband on 5 Feb after being told that the price was fixed for the whole of my 18 month contract. My advice is don’t believe the sales people in the shopping centres

If you are told the price will be the same for the full 18 months of the contract then they increase the price that would be a breech of a contract, they are working for the provider and should know if any mid term price rises were or are to happen. It doesn't matter if it's sales staff or the CEO himself if they say it will be the same for 18 months then it should be the same for the full 18 months.
  • wild666
    Options
    can anyone advise why prices are increasing for tv package, yet you cannot leave penalty free mid contract please ? thanks

quote from MSE website:

"If you're within your minimum term for a TV contract, unfortunately you CAN'T exit it penalty-free as a result of these price changes – although you may still be able to try to haggle with Sky if you're unhappy about the change. You could also remove any unwanted monthly add-ons, such as Sky Box Sets, to reduce your costs.

Sky says that if you have a bundle that includes TV and broadband, you CAN cancel the broadband element – although you won't be able to exit the TV part penalty-free."
    BT tried to make out I had signed up to a package deal in 2016 but I got out of it as they had only offered me BT sports free with no mention of the TV and BB being part of a package deal. I even had the paperwork to prove that it was only the sports they had offered free with no mention of TV or BB .
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi guys, looking at my future bills, my overall bill will be going up by £7...

I pay £70 a month for Entertainment, Q Multiroom, Sky MAX and Anytime calls. I think I get a discount.

I'm still in contract, (anyway other than asking them directly when it finishes?) so do you think it's worth renegotiating before leaving because of their breach?

Thanks.
  • SeeMe
    SeeMe Posts: 343 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    slipd wrote: »

I'm still in contract, (anyway other than asking them directly when it finishes
    I use to have details in my account when my last contract started for 12 months, but its not there any more, so i had to phone to check mine.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    wild666 wrote: »
    If you are told the price will be the same for the full 18 months of the contract then they increase the price that would be a breech of a contract, they are working for the provider and should know if any mid term price rises were or are to happen. It doesn't matter if it's sales staff or the CEO himself if they say it will be the same for 18 months then it should be the same for the full 18 months.

The problem with that is that it would have been a face to face conversation with no proof either way except the T&C's which of course weren't read. If they were, then that would have been the time to cancel in the cooling off period.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    slipd wrote: »
    Hi guys, looking at my future bills, my overall bill will be going up by £7...

I pay £70 a month for Entertainment, Q Multiroom, Sky MAX and Anytime calls. I think I get a discount.

I'm still in contract, (anyway other than asking them directly when it finishes?) so do you think it's worth renegotiating before leaving because of their breach?

Thanks.

You can work it out by checking when it started or when you last changed anything and adding 12/18 months but the easiest way is to just ask (chat or phone).

You may be able to leave the BB/phone but not the TV.
    I think I get a discount.
    You can see from the breakdown of your bill if anything is discounted, use the drop down arrow next to each item.
  • i10k
    Options
    Long time lurker here - thought I had an account to post with, but it seems not, so I've had to open a new one...

According to the article:
    "If you're within your minimum term for a TV contract, unfortunately you CAN'T exit it penalty-free as a result of these price changes – although you may still be able to try to haggle with Sky if you're unhappy about the change. You could also remove any unwanted monthly add-ons, such as Sky Box Sets, to reduce your costs."

OR, you could do as I did:

1. Hop on live chat and take out new contract - upgrade from Sky+ HD to Q, or add additional bundles, whatever you need to do.
    2. Ask the right sort of questions, so that you get confirmation in writing that this means entering into a new contract.
    3. Agree to new contract replacing existing one.
    4. (Save or print chat in case you need to refer back to it later)
    5. Cancel it immediately*

*Next day, in writing, citing cooling off period.

By taking out new contract, you've replaced your old one, effectively terminating it by agreement between parties. By taking out a new contract, you've agreed to the terms within it setting the obligations between parties. Within said contract is termination clause.
  • newsgroup_monkey
    Options
    I've just told them to cancel my broadband. I'll find another deal. I've been with them for 9 months since moving from NowTV for my Broaband :rotfl:(Same company). Might even move back to them.

However, I'm going to resist the TV price change and I've just told them why.
    They forced me onto HD at the back end of last year, because they no longer offer a SD service (I have Sports). That came with a £5 a month increase. So therefore I'm using the argument that they've already stung me for a Price increase in December, so they can go dance for the £2 increase.
    The smaller the monkey the more it looks like it would kill you at the first given opportunity.
  • E&G
    E&G Posts: 49 Forumite
    Options
    I am on a 12 month contract for the basic broadband, which ends in May and I was looking to move to get fibre elsewhere. I've read another contributor say that the price rise (for me it's only a quid a month) doesn't let you cancel fee free, but does anyone know how much it's likely to cost me if I transferred now?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure