Options
2»

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 12 January 2019 at 7:21PM
    Options
    My brother has a 4wd Tuscan and admits its very poor in snow, he blames the tyres. I had a look at them and they are M+S tyres, so full winters.

No, M&S doesn't automatically mean they're full winters. The last M&S tyres I had on are not like the winter tyres you get today. They'll get you through mud and deep snow but they're not worth a toss on roads on snow that has been driven on as they don't have sipes in their tread to cut into the snow. The pattern is also not conusive to packing in the snow between the blocks which decent winter tyres do as snow on snow is the grippiest solution.

Typical mud and snow tyre:

maxresdefault.jpg

Winter tyre:
    michelin-tyres.jpg

See how the winter tyre has more slits in the tread blocks which grip into the snow and how the tread pattern has far more area of tread block edges at right angles to the direction of travel?

If the tread pattern isn't similar to the bottom tyre its not full winter.
  • force_ten
    force_ten Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My brother has a 4wd Tuscan and admits its very poor in snow, he blames the tyres. I had a look at them and they are M+S tyres, so full winters. I don't know why it's poor, he has had previous 4x4's and even says a Dacia Duster 4x4 is much better. Possibly it is down to TC.

just because a tyre says M&S it is not necessarily a winter tyres

the name mud and snow tyre makes many think it is a winter tyre but often they are not, a winter Tyre will have an M&S rating and also have a mountain and snowflake rating

The AA say
    Some 'M+S' (mud and snow) tyres sold in the UK are summer tyres which wouldn’t meet the requirements below, even though the sidewall marking might suggest that they do.
  • debtdebt
    debtdebt Posts: 949 Forumite
    Options
    DUTR wrote: »
    It's all swings n roundabouts, if the car in front is stuck and you are unable to pass, then you are stuck too.

I've actually stopped driving altogether now in the fear that the car in front of my breaks down and I am unable to pass.
  • rob7475
    rob7475 Posts: 850 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've got an IX35 (previous incarnation of the Tucson). On it's standard tyres, it's not great. This is probably down to the standard tyres being designed for economy rather than grip.

Every winter, I swap the tyres for Vredestein Snowtracs. I live in a hilly bit of yorkshire and have never been stuck. My driveway is a very steep uphill climb to get out and the car always gets through is.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,688 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I had an older 4wd one and it seemed capable enough with winter tyres. A bit skittish but it did the job.

What problem are you finding? Trouble moving off, stopping or turning?
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    Options
    debtdebt wrote: »
    I've actually stopped driving altogether now in the fear that the car in front of my breaks down and I am unable to pass.

Bit of a knee jerk reaction eh? ;)
    The I'm alright jack thing doesn't really work around town when there is heavy settled snow about, the one year Birmingham came to a gridlock for many hours as snow had come down in the afternoon before peak traffic times, I walked the 6 miles home, but it was well documented that there were commuters stuck for more than 6hrs, whether you had a land rover or super 4*4 with the latest winter tyres, you were going NOWHERE fast.
  • keith1950
    keith1950 Posts: 2,597 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    As far as heavy snow goes most newer SUV's don't have 4wd but have AW drive that only kicks in when the front wheels spin and only for as long as they're spinning.
    I have both types and the older 4WD are definitely better in snow.
    I've never needed "winter tyres" on either.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Often its the driver and the lack of control on the throttle.

Take the driver out of the equation - use the same driver.

Put him in a big top heavy 2WD Tucson on the standard (summer) tyres. See how he gets on in the snow.

Now, same test, except it's a Hyundai i10 - 2WD, standard (summer) tyres. I think he'll do better in the i10.

The advantage these big cars usually have is 4WD, and ground clearance, and rarely these days, off road tyres. Now most of them (and Hyundai and Kia are some of the most guilty) are high up cars - higher and heavier but with no more grip.
    I've got an IX35 (previous incarnation of the Tucson)

No - I think the IX35 is smaller, and equivalent to Kia's Sportage.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    edited 14 January 2019 at 4:15PM
    Options
    almillar wrote: »
    Take the driver out of the equation - use the same driver.

Put him in a big top heavy 2WD Tucson on the standard (summer) tyres. See how he gets on in the snow.

Now, same test, except it's a Hyundai i10 - 2WD, standard (summer) tyres. I think he'll do better in the i10.

The advantage these big cars usually have is 4WD, and ground clearance, and rarely these days, off road tyres. Now most of them (and Hyundai and Kia are some of the most guilty) are high up cars - higher and heavier but with no more grip.

No - I think the IX35 is smaller, and equivalent to Kia's Sportage.

No. I spend a lot of time in Korea - in fact I am there now. Korea never had a model called the ix35. The Tucson was identical to the European ix35 of the same vintage. The Tucson is equivalent to the Sportage, correct as the next model up is the Sante Fe which is equivalent to the Sorento which has a 5 and 7 seat version.
    The Korean market now has a bigger car than the Santa Fe called the Palisade. It is huge.
  • silverwhistle
    Options
    I've a Hyundai i20 which the last few years has taken me to the Alps for skiing holidays. I'm not using it for that this year but last week I still swapped in my set of snow tyres: might as get some wear out of them before they perish! I've never had problems in the snow, although that may be because I used to live in the mountains. Probably won't need them here in Hampshire though..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure