PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge

Comments

• ahw23 wrote: »
    Laura-Elsewhere: your inspiration dress looks super and I like the idea of two alternative coordinating tops. I'd like to do something similar to stretch the utility of what I sew. My two main obstacles are invariably getting remnants rather than enough for multiple garments, and not really liking separates as much as dresses.

I have not yet made a multi-piece dress - what would you call it? A dress-set, or something?! :) But I've been meaning to for several years... dresses themselves are less practical for me, as I prefer not wearing a top more than a couple of times between washing, especially in hot weather when I'm out trotting over hill and dale to the shops carrying heavy loads, but at the same time, I'm not overly keen on washing and then ironing longish full skirts - there's a lot of fabric involved in a skirt that goes all the way round me with any to spare! :)

So the thought of tops which can easily be washed and ironed, or even better washed and hung up to dry - well, it makes sense to me! I experimented last year with making a blouse, button-front, little fold-down round collar, and short dolman/kimono sleeves, and although that one has problems (too short to stay tucked in, for a start!), I think I shall be making more this year from cotton fabric I already have. It really didn't need ironing at all, and it did its essential job of covering my cleavage which ALWAYS burns in modern low-cut tops and blouses that can't button above bra-level.

And I recognise your "not enough for what I want" fabric collection, yep! I also have "oh, that's a usefully big piece of fabric, best to save it and not use it for what I want to make..." :D

Today I've been bustling about in a black linen skirt I normally wear in summer - it's a bit short at knee-length, and VERY faded and a bit tatty but it's so useful just to put on for housework, etc. So one thing I'm planning is to consider my fabric stash and see if I've anything that might make a direct copy. I tend to much towards very full, either circular or gathered or pleated, and don't often make anything less flamboyant - but given how much I wear this one, clearly I should consider replacing it...
    2024: 66 coupons
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
  • Hello everyone

Not much to report here. I ordered some shoes but have sent them back today as they were nice but nice isn't good enough now is it?

I also bought some shoes from ebay!!! £20 for some unworn Grensons which I am hoping still count as second hand and then are coupon free. I'm hoping they live up to my expectations when they come..

Was going to ebay a few bits myself then realised that the jersey teeshirt dress I've only worn once and don't like myself in, would make a great nightie... so I'm keeping it.

Couldn't find any fabric suitable for the dress pattern I want to make, I really thought I had a piece of linen somewhere but it is hiding from me. So that's on hold for the moment.

Have still been knitting scarves but downloaded a pattern from Ravelry which looked plainish and not too difficult. Now I've realised it needs CIRCULAR NEEDLES - what even are they? I may not be ready..

Vintagegal x
    Fashion on the Ration 2020 - 5/66 spent
  • vintagegal wrote: »

Not much to report here.

Well, that's a load of cobblers, now isn't it? ;) TONS to report, you have!

You've grasped the crucial Buying Mantra that "nice isn't good enough" - it took me a whole bloomin' year, and you've done it in a month. Nice work (that's "nice" in the sense of "definitely good enough!")

You've saved coupons by buying unworn-second-hand on eBay - and yes, if you bought them from a person then that's the same as in a jumble-sale, imo. It's different if you buy them from a shoe-shop's own eBay outlet, because you'd still be buying them from the shoe shop. But here, someone bought them and is selling them on - that's buying second-hand on your part, even when they're unworn! I hope they are comfortable and what you wanted. But if they aren't, you know what to do - sell them on again for someone else to wear!

I do find eBay seriously good for unworn shoes - but nobody seems to know about it! :)

You've found a way to re-use something - it's gone from "makes me feel bad about myself" to "yay, comfy nightdress!" hurrah!

You've put the dress-making on hold til you find the right fabric - that's excellent, too. Maybe you'll come across it in a charity-shop, disguised as linen curtains... or there's eBay's vintage curtains section, which provides my dress-fabric quite often... oh, and also keep an eye out for cut-price bedlinen, sometimes available in linen fabrics...
    Have still been knitting scarves but downloaded a pattern from Ravelry which looked plainish and not too difficult. Now I've realised it needs CIRCULAR NEEDLES - what even are they? I may not be ready..

:)

They're fine, really. Don't be scared :)

A circular needle is two rigid, normal-looking knitting needles, about half their usual length, joined together at the non-pointy end by a flexible length of cable. It means you can knit tubular knitting.

However... you can also do this with knitting needles which are pointy at each end, called DPNs, double-pointed needles. You use 3 or 4 to hold all the stitches, and another to knit with, which sounds ghastly but really, it isn't - you are only ever using TWO needles, just like you always have been doing; the others are just hanging about holding the other stitches until you get to them.

Remember that in the 17th century the census returns included thousands of small children, 5 and 6 years old, listed as earning money as stocking-knitters... it REALLY isn't impossible, trust me! And the huge advantage of knitting in the round is that you don't have to sew anything up afterwards, or very little... AND you only ever have to knit on the right side... effectively your tube is a looooong spiral. You never have to purl back on the wrong side, so it's much faster, more even...

If you can blow-dry your hair or put make-up on, then you can knit on DPNS or a circ.

It is definitely easier to be shown than to describe, though, so I would ask around and find someone to show you.
    I can go on for hours about how much easier it is to knit in the round with DPNs - it's the only way I can actually knit. I have been knitting for almost 20 years now and I actually don't know how to sew two bits of knitting together, because I've never made anything that needed seams! :D
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
  • Thank you for the encouragement Laura-Elsewhere!!

Can't wait to go to bed tonight in my new 'nightie' - its a stripy long straight Seasalt dress and I can't believe I didn't notice what a good nightie it will make before now. Its worth more to me as that than I'd get for it on ebay, for sure.

I might be addicted to finding unworn eBay shoes now. The Grensons would have probably been about £225 new.

Need to go to some charity shops as well, with this cold weather I seem to want to hibernate at weekends.

Going to order the circular needles and I have some wool for the sweater already. Its called a Trefann (I think) and I suspect it is way too advanced for me. I need to stop doing scarves at some point, although I'm going to knit some for charity too.
  • Oooh, nice choice of pattern - just looked it up on Ravelry, and it gets 4.5 out of 5 from 8 votes, which is pretty good, and is rated between 'easy' and 'very easy' by 8 ratings, too - that looks like a great place to start!

I love looking on Ravelry at patterns, because you can browse through other people's successful (or not!) projects... in my case, being on the hefty side, it lets me see how a pattern looks on someone my size, which is a big influence on whether to make it or not...
    And also it's really useful looking up the yarn, too - if it's liable to pill really badly or felt abruptly on the first cool wash, etc., it's useful to know! I spent a fair bit on three colours of newly-released DK yarn last year, and not only did it pill (bobble) really badly on the FIRST wash (!) but in less than two months the stranded colourwork socks had worn through on both socks on the soles... I reckon I spent longer knitting them than I did wearing them... now relegated to bedsocks which have a pattern barely visible under the pale bobbling obscuring red and black! Now I know better than to buy yarn if I haven't looked it up and read people's experienced comments!

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/trefann-sweater

• I shall take your advice and spend some time perusing Ravelry. I'm a bit scared by the sweater but also would really like to own it so hopefully it won't beat me!

Slow and steady is the answer I think. I'm happy that it is chunky wool as I tried to knit with double knit last night and I hated it. I have got used to size 15 needles and massive wool that gives quick results!
  • rosie51
    rosie51 Posts: 257 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Not used up any coupons yet, as stocked up a bit over Xmas. I plan to make or get from charity shops this year.
    2020 Stash makes/destash 61/150
  • Crafty_Lisa_Hampshire
    Crafty_Lisa_Hampshire Posts: 149 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 5 February 2019 at 6:16PM
    Laura-Elsewhere - Its a revelation to me as well to actually communicate with people that actually do sew their own clothes. I don't know anyone else who does it. I help my Mum make a few things here and there but other than that it is me that makes alterations for my nearest and dearest. I am looking forward to the "Sewing Bee" starting again next week.

I like the sound of your planned project for summer. I have decided that this month I am going to try and draft a pattern from an existing skirt I know fits me and make another summer skirt to replace it. I may get another year out of it but I don't think it will last much longer than that.

I have never bought anything from Ebay as I like to try things on and see them before purchasing. I cannot be bothered with sending items back and getting a refund. I do go to charity shops though and there are a couple of dress agencies near me which I haven't been to yet so I may go and look in them to see if they have any decent shoes. I am a bit of technophob where Ebay is concerned I have to admit.
    Lisa x
    Fashion on a Ration Challenge 2020 - 66 (+ 19 carried over) = 85 coupons/Spent 23.5 coupons
    Frugal Living Challenge 2020
    Make Do, Mend and Minimise 2020
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,055 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Vintagegal, have a look at the Modern Garden Sweater by Veera Valimaki. It uses thick yarn and 10mm needles. It's quick to knit. (I made it in Lidl's Zettl Alina, which turned out not to be thick enough :mad:, so ripped it out to use the yarn for the tee I mentioned earlier.)
    Yes! I have something over 1,000 yds - 880 in the 4 skeins, and a number of part-balls. But in my size (M/L - not tall but big on top) it requires 9 skeins. I'm amusing myself crocheting a tea-cosy to match the afghan for DS2 & his lady (who adores tea) and am actually finding Cascade a bit "splitty" for crochet, so it may just end up being sold on. OTOH, that's 2 x 7' tri-shawls (@ 440 yds each plus fringing) which would look amazing; I do sell those from time to time but currently have nowhere to hang the 7' tri-loom!

It all comes down to the amount & direction of the twist... when I'm spinning for crochet, I spin tighter and usually in the reverse direction to the usual, i.e. spin S - ply Z, or just a single spun Z. It's almost impossible to find commercial yarns done that way round!

Hmmm.... 880 yards.... You might try to knit Quick Work in Thick Wool by Susan Crawford. In the two middle sizes, it'd take 825 metres (40"-42" and 44"-46" bust). Yes, it specifies Aran yarn, but you should get gauge with Worsted.

Another thought is the Drift cardigan, which is a free pattern from Berroco. Yes, you don't have enough yarn in your main colour but you could do the front and back yoke in your contrast colour, with or without some contrast on the sleeves.

Both of the above are in my Ravelry queue.

- Pip (I will finish the Nanette Tee tonight. It'll only take an hour.)
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons,
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,055 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 7 February 2019 at 3:35PM
    Afternoon All

Out of sheer curiosity, what are you wearing today?

I’m in the main office, instead of my usual highways depot*, so am (finally) wearing the jacket and skirt from the new suit I bought before Christmas, together with the red jumper I knitted last year and a pair of black court shoes (£4 from a charity shop). I think the jumper picks out the red from the suit.

2deWB58https://flic.kr/p/2deWB58

242fZyZhttps://flic.kr/p/242fZyZ

(forgive the poor quality photos taken in the ladies loo)

Having wandered down to the canteen at lunchtime, I think I must be the smartest dressed woman in the building. At least 50% of my female colleagues are in jeans, while a good proportion seem to be wearing "housewife casual". Yes, we work in a male dominated industry, in an office on the outskirts of London, but really??? I have worked in this industry for 20 years and, at my previous employers, women made the effort to look office smart, if not professional. Not here. It's no wonder women aren't taken seriously in this company. (Outside Finance and HR, I can't name one senior female executive, certainly not an engineer.)

- Pip (apologies for ranting)

PS: CraftyLisa, I think we all know the feeling of being the only crafter for miles. There is nothing like telling somebody that you made your suit or knitted your jumper and having them look at you like you have two heads.

* My “depot” clothes: smart trousers with thermal leggings underneath, hand knit socks, loafers, a jumper, a cardigan and a company fleece.
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons,
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport