2018 Benbenandme's Next Battle

Comments

• benbenandme
    benbenandme Posts: 12,161
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Forumite
    Morning all, I ended up helping ds with his paper-round again today as we both slept in a bit. Since we got back I have stripped both beds and remade mine (will do ds's later), whizzed around the lounge and put most bits back in their proper homes. I also remembered the binmen were coming today so have put the bins out ready. Just about to take ds to the station to get the train to his Dads, then I've got a couple of hours until I go out for brunch.
    Mortgage Total: £55,900 / £75,000
    2024 Savings: £1621
  • c0117.gif BenBen

Followed you over from your old diary - here's to a great 2018 t0306.gif
  • Morning Benben,

Welcome back over to these boards. I always had a read of what was going on in your world over on the MFW boards :D.

You are always so good with your budgets, I need to be more like you!!!! xx
    Mummytogirls x

• Februarycat
    Februarycat Posts: 1,385
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    Hi BenBen, I remember you from your old diary, nice to see you back with a new one.
  • benbenandme
    Forumite
    I've been to lunch with friends for her birthday, was nice to catch up with some people I haven't seen for a while. Chilling on the sofe with the footie on, it's half-time and at the moment we're winning :j :j

I have done two loads of washing (all the bedding) so will leave the rest until tomorrow or I will run out of places to dry it all. Tonight I want to get some banking stuff moved about ready for the start of the new year.

I still need to get about another 35 Swagbucks to reach today's goal, I have a couple of other surveys in my inbox that I need to get on with too. I also could do with doing a food order for delivery, I have a Tesco pass for deliveries on Tuesdays, Wednesdays or Thursdays.
  • Hurrah for a winning football team!!
    Chase: $5,512.91 Citi:$2,592.24 Total: $8105.15
    Paid So Far: $301.85
  • louby40
    louby40 Posts: 1,505
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hello, my eldest son began an apprenticeship in May. It took him a fair few months to get it though. He wanted an IT apprenticeship which are few and far between- he’s now got one with a small company and he’s doing IT and business studies.

His child benefit stopped and then this month he turned 18 so my maintenance from his dad also stopped.

I have a second son who is also in Y10. It’s scary how fast time will go. I’m still getting maintenance and benefits for him but like you that will eventually stop.

Will your sons dad continue to pay maintenance until he’s 18? The apprenticeship wage is terrible, my son gets about £570 a month.

Good luck with your budgets - you sound very organised!
  • benbenandme
    Forumite
    edited 30 December 2017 at 6:22PM
    Thanks Louby, those who have been reading my previous diaries will know the answer to your question re. his Dad paying maintenance until he's 18 - unfortunately his father is one of those who can't be relied upon :o A regular theme on here is how his Dad does almost nothing towards raising his son, other than pay the minimum he can get away with per month. I am under no illusions that he will stop paying at the first opportunity :(:( In an ideal world I would like to think that he will give ds some money directly each month to subsidise him, however, I have learned not to be daft ;):)
  • louby40
    louby40 Posts: 1,505
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Oh dear. I have a close friend whose ex hasn’t given her a penny since they split. Both her kids are adults now. He is self employed so she could never prove how much he earned. He did used to buy them clothes and took them on holiday but not much help to my friend who still needed to pay the mortgage and feed them.

Luckily my ex husband has been very good with regular maintenance and although not the official rate, the decent relationship I have with him and his ongoing support towards his kids has compensated for that.
  • benbenandme
    Forumite
    I've spent a couple of hours checking all my accounts and getting bits and pieces sorted, I love this bit of the year best, all new notebooks and plans and stuff :D

So some bits will fall into place each month on payday, I need to transfer the £350 from my wages into my brothers fund, the rest will be chipping away in small chunks - never ending surveys, ebaying random stuff I don't have a need for anymore, perhaps a bit of wombling here and there, who knows, that's what makes it interesting, the unknown pennies and pounds that get added into the mix :)

We managed to hang on for three points in the football too, so that's a positive start to the New Year for me too.

One other habit I want to get into this year was recommended to me by an educational psychologist at school, she suggested it for ds but I'm going to adopt it too; I need to think of three things to be thankful for each day, they can be anything but she said its best if its minor insignificant things such as 'Bournemouth winning 2-1 today' (not minor or insignificant to me ;) ), rather than 'I'm healthy' ... it's to help with changing mindset to be more positive. So, I'll start today to get me going with it ...

1. Bournemouth got three points :)
    2. Today was a nsd
    3. I don't have to set the alarm clock tomorrow :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family