Salary Surveys

Should we take the results of a salary survey with a pinch of salt?

I've just been sent the results of one and the salaries seem on the high side, either that or I'm being severely underpaid. I get less than the minimum salary of my occupation for my years of experience, but then I didn't fill in the survey.

Is it just people that get paid a lot who fill them in, or do people inflate their salaries in the hope they could use the survey results to help their case for a payrise?

Comments

• Who did the survey?
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,623 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post

The irony!

The word "salary" is derived from "salarium" the Latin word for salt!
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post

I've just been sent the results of one and the salaries seem on the high side, either that or I'm being severely underpaid. I get less than the minimum salary of my occupation for my years of experience, but then I didn't fill in the survey.

Is it just people that get paid a lot who fill them in, or do people inflate their salaries in the hope they could use the survey results to help their case for a payrise?

very difficult for the survey to reflect the entire picture if you didn’t partipate. Did it say how many people wete asked and how many people replied?
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Does the survey take account of location? If the answers are London heavy and you live in a cheaper area this can mean they don't reflect what you can expect. Do advertised jobs seem more in line with your current salary or the survey?
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    I was about to reply - probably something about life not being fair - when I got distracted by nicechap's signature. I’m very flattered!:T
  • Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Obviously they want you to use their services so they'll show inflated salaries to get you to sign up!

I wouldn't worry too much.
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I equate them with Zoopla house valuations.
  • General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,834 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You need to find salary survey information where the data is supplied by employers, not by workers.
    An agency asks you about your salary to find out about your likely value to them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure