CCTV in the home.

Options
Can someone give me some help and advise on CCTV camera for the home.
I would like to put a cctv camera in my mum’s home .
I would like to get one that the family can see on there phones when we aren’t visiting or around .
My mum does not have the internet so l would like to know if there is any cctv cameras on the market that can do this without internet being used.

Comments

• ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,065 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 January 2019 at 10:57AM
    Options
    you need a good/fast internet connection to view live

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You could get it on the mobile network if there's a decent signal by tethering it to a mobile phone, though this wouldn't be particularly fast or cheap.

The alternative is to add broadband onto your mum's phone line. BT Basic customers I think can get an all-in solution for under a tenner which gives 15G of usage a month.
  • arciere
    arciere Posts: 1,354 Forumite
    Options
    If you are going down the broadband route, remember that with CCTV upload speed is much more important than download speed, that's why 99% of the time ADSL is not suitable (in the best scenarios you get less than 1 Mbps in upload).

10 Mbps upload speed would be the safest minimum (in BT terms, this is covered by the 'Infinity' VDSL package), but if you expect HD quality, you might need 20.
  • Neil_Jones
    Options
    Majority of cameras offer two streams for live viewing, one for HD or good quality and one of a lower resolution that would work on slower internet. Yes it would probably look like mush and occasionally skip a shed load of frames but just for checking in on occasion it should be fine.
  • bengalknights
    Options
    You would need to have a data connection to be able to stream the output on your phones.

You could mobile data but this may cost more than a cheap basic broadband connection, with the more recent cameras deploying H265+ compression bandwidth of 2mpbs is more than capable of streaming at HD quality.
  • arciere
    arciere Posts: 1,354 Forumite
    Options
    You would need to have a data connection to be able to stream the output on your phones.

You could mobile data but this may cost more than a cheap basic broadband connection, with the more recent cameras deploying H265+ compression bandwidth of 2mpbs is more than capable of streaming at HD quality.
    That's still more than double the maximum upload speed on a basic ADSL connection.

In my experience, ADSL is never suitable (unless you are happy with 360p or less resolution).
    Fibre with 10Mbps is the minimum, if you can get a real-world speed of 6-7 Mbps.
  • stingray_316
    Options
    arciere wrote: »
    That's still more than double the maximum upload speed on a basic ADSL connection.

In my experience, ADSL is never suitable (unless you are happy with 360p or less resolution).
    Fibre with 10Mbps is the minimum, if you can get a real-world speed of 6-7 Mbps.
    l don’t understand this jargon as lm not technical minded on cctv’s.
    So can someone point out the cheapest cctv that will work at my mums house using the Internet that will work on mobile phones used in different places away from the house.
    Is there any that’s suitable in pc world , Argos , etc .
  • debitcardmayhem
    Options
    So can someone point out the cheapest cctv that will work at my mums house using the Internet that will work on mobile phones used in different places away from the house.
    The CCTV has to have an internet connection at your mum's house so you and the family can view it remotely
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • Neil_Jones
    Options

All cameras will "work" at the house, you just connect them up to the base unit and then screw them to the wall. Getting them to work over the internet can be slightly more tricky but its not impossible but it can be as simple as plugging a network cable into the base and it sorts itself out.
  • stingray_316
    Options
    Neil_Jones wrote: »
    All cameras will "work" at the house, you just connect them up to the base unit and then screw them to the wall. Getting them to work over the internet can be slightly more tricky but its not impossible but it can be as simple as plugging a network cable into the base and it sorts itself out.
    so l connect from the internet hub to cctv camera .. what cable would l need for connecting..
    When this is done will it connect to a mobile phone .
    Any suggestions of cctv camera which will be ok for this that’s not to expensive..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure