2019 Frugal Living Challenge

Options

Comments

• natnat13
    natnat13 Posts: 646 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Did food shopping today, £39! That's half what we'd spend if we didn't plan and have a list to stick to. Really pleased with that.

I baked some cheese scones (leftover xmas cheese), banana buns (brown bananas),roast turkey (cheap after xmas) and made a golden syrup pud and custard for afters. I would usually have bought a pudding with the shopping.

I'm not anticipating much spending next week fingers crossed.
    Mum to 2 DSs, dog mum, wife full-time worker.
    Keen to live a healthly lifestyle and save money
  • miss_empty_piggy
    Options
    Hi everyone
    Little squirrel and miss empty piggy at the lottie site Im on, people put on the notice board if they are in need of a greenhouse, shed, paving slabs etc just in case someone on there is trying to get rid some.

Nannyg

Oh wow, that's great. I'll keep an eye out - hopefully they'll do the same at ours.

Little squirrel - I have been making pallet compost bins today too.

Some good friends brought 18 pallets up to our site yesterday on their trailer for us to make 3 bins in total and then do what we want with the rest. They said they have an endless supply which is fantastic. We're thinking of making a shed with them but think it might take a while lol. We'll see how we get on.

We got 3 painted up today with leftover garden fence paint so hopefully they'll last a bit longer. DOH wants to put a liner in them too and had a AZ gift voucher for xmas and so we spent a total of 25p.

We met our site neighbours on one side today and it was an old friend from school and her family which was really nice.

DD1 went back to uni also today and so I am expecting the bills to go down a bit now too. It's not been as bad as usual as I am particularly mindful of overspending and she knows that we are cutting back this year (our 'fallow' year as we're calling it).

Just remembered that we're going to do an escape room on Tuesday night which will cost us. I don't know how it will go but I'll give anything a go once xxx If you don't hear from me - you'll know I'm no good :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I bought a 5 visit PAYG voucher today...so that's just shy of £30 (gym with pool), but at least I'm not tied into a contract. I also had to tax my car, but that was only £30.

So far this month we've only spent £220 (ex bills). of which groceries were £120. We ran the freezer and cupboards down over Christmas, so have had a bit of a re-stock.
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • sinkorswim2018
    Options
    I need to build an emergency fund into my budget as I find myself in a hotel going back and forth to the hospital after my daughter became unexpectedly unwell... possible surgery today which they are hoping to avoid until a later day if they can. I did get a good deal on the accomodation and got free breakfast and parking. :/
  • MadamMim2013
    Options
    I need to build an emergency fund into my budget as I find myself in a hotel going back and forth to the hospital after my daughter became unexpectedly unwell... possible surgery today which they are hoping to avoid until a later day if they can. I did get a good deal on the accomodation and got free breakfast and parking. :/

So sorry to read that your daughter is poorly, hoping she is on the mend quickly and that if the surgery does go ahead then it’s successful.. Sending hugs to you both :o
    "There's a little witch in all of us"🥰
    DEBT FREE 06/2018
    MrsSD 2023 Decluttering Campaign:
    🏅⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Lifeisforliving19
    Options

Oh that's not good, but hopefully her surgery will have a positive outcome. I know it can be very expensive when you get an emergency like that. When OH had his accident last year, we spent a fortune on hospital carparking and extra fuel and food. Good luck. x
    DMP 2015 £57,549, now £36,112 (37% paid)
    EF £200 Mortgage OP's this year £115

There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, Shining at the End of Every Day!

• nannygladys
    nannygladys Posts: 3,075 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    HI everyone

miss empty piggy I like the idea of having a 'fallow' year!

Sink or swim 2018I hope your daughter is feeling better soon.

Another frugal day, Ive done the usual bits and Im sat down doing a bit of sewing and TV watching as its raining outside and looking quite dark.

Another tea from stores tonight, Ive run out of milk but Im using dried so I should be OK this week.

Nannyg
    2024 is going to be a positive year for me, and it's starting now!! 
    Buys: All budgeted and paid by cash!
    Jan - fridge/freezer
              Hoover
    Feb - milk frother, curtain pole x2, roller blind - bathroom, toilet seat, bath sink taps, kitchen sink waste unit and an extra double electric socket.
    March - raised bed for garden, bathroom cabinet, roller blind - kitchen

• Kerry_Woman
    Kerry_Woman Posts: 3,133 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    sinkorswim2018 - Sending hugs to your daughter.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
  • chocolatelover93
    Options
    Hello everyone :)

sinkorswim - hope your DD is better soon!

Yesterday I sat down and put money left from budgets into different envelopes and when I get paid every month will do it again and won't be taking out any cards with me so hopefully I will stick to my budgets!! Also have a second diary my mum bought me for xmas that I am using a spending diary :)

C xx
    Read my diaryHere :)
  • Kaylataste
    Options
    I’m going to take lunch to work tomorrow, I haven’t spent any unnecessary money at all this year so far.trying to transfer 2 pounds a day into a savings account I’ve set up, doesn’t sound much but it’s all I can do for now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure