Mental Health Assessment (CMHT)

I think i first had one about 9 years ago, so i'm curious to know whether its likely to be the same thing (i saw a psychiatrist, we went over my whole life history) or whether its changed and is done differently now? Has any had one recently? Will they have my previous notes? And does the outcome determine whether i get more support like CPN or a psychiatrist again? Thanks :)

Comments

• Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    I've had a couple over the last three years (and lots before that). They ranged from rubbish to reasonably thorough. One did lead to seeing a CPN for a few months, but that was all. The psychiatrist said I needed a particular treatment but when my CPN tried to arrange it the place offering it wouldn't accept the referral as I wasn't self harming frequently enough.

It varies so massively across the country though, so your area may be completely different to mine.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It's very hard to be allocated a cpn & you have to be considered very high risk in most cases.

My experience of psychiatrists over the years is that each & everyone of them wants you to go back over the history which resulted in your mental health condition. Yes they have your notes, but for some reason prefer you to have to relive all the mental anguish in the telling once more.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • UKTigerlily
    UKTigerlily Posts: 4,702 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Depends, i'm assuming it's for therapy? My last one, they just asked general questions and briefly about the past, nothing much, just to see if it could help and if we got on as it's extremely expensive x
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    cattie wrote: »
    It's very hard to be allocated a cpn & you have to be considered very high risk in most cases.

My experience of psychiatrists over the years is that each & everyone of them wants you to go back over the history which resulted in your mental health condition. Yes they have your notes, but for some reason prefer you to have to relive all the mental anguish in the telling once more.
    Its taken me 5 years just to get an assessment :eek: so not holding out much hope now.

Thanks for the replies
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,609 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Yes they have your notes, but for some reason prefer you to have to relive all the mental anguish in the telling once more.
    I completely understand this can re-traumatise people, but it's possible their memory of, interpretation of and the effects of the events has changed.

There may also be an element of subjectivity in what the last professional wrote and therefore they wouldn't be doing their job properly to rely on it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure