PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Options

Comments

• Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,510 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 15 February 2018 at 4:15PM
    Options
    Sorry for the grumpy post yesterday, just felt a bit put upon, which is ridiculous as DH works like a mad man - we are both not 100% well, so tetchy - today, sleep has been had, Sun is shining and his poorly nest has been tidied and he has gone to work to set up this morning, but has promised to come home as soon as he can to rest up.

Talking of Avon skin so soft, I was told it was good for averting insect bites too, I used it last year when we went to Corfu and didnt get bitten once, DH was like a dot-to-dot book :eek:

Nursemaggie - got everything crossed for you x
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    I've been on 2x Symbicort 2x a day for just short of two years even with a continual peak flow of 500. That's a lot of hits of steroids for, maybe, no reason but I do understand that medicine can sometimes be about trial and error, testing, waiting, interpretation and then testing some more. My diagnosis came 2 months before the first bad pneumonia. The scan for a pulmonary embolism was clear so it was thought that the reason for the fast heart rate and my complaining of breathlessness was down to untreated asthma. I remember being asked to blow into the Peak Flow then. I got a reading of 370 so I confirmed suspicion and that was that. I do know that I took a stagnant breath that day and didn't breathe in before blowing. To be fair, I've had a few years of flu jabs because of the diagnosis, and with this new heart thing, it's probably been a blessing. I can't be cross. As my grandma used to say "it'll all come out in the wash".

I have passed my paleness to my eldest so I think it's hereditary. My grandma had jet black hair(even at 70 and she swore she never dyed it - and the way she begged for greys to stop people thinking that she did dye it confirmed it to me) and extremely pale. I do wonder what nationalities are within my DNA.

MrsMac we have skin so soft and it does work on the Scottish biters. We're often up there in holiday time, yip, there goes the wally English again. :D

Poor DD can hardly speak with these braces and struggled sleeping. They are stopping her jaw from closing (purposefully) and she can't get her tongue to the roof of her mouth because of the palette. I'm going to dig some of my old speech and language stuff out from working in the school days and do a few sessions with her. She'll hate that but tough. I am mother. I know best. :D

I'm having a relaxing day today but I'm going to do a bit of baking for the family - gingerbread I think.
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Another endorsement for Avon Skin So Soft. I believe that soldiers were issued with it at some point when serving in the tropics.
    I used it in India and wasn't bitten once.
    In Greece it worked fine on mosquitos but was no protection against biting ants.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • Cocketts
    Cocketts Posts: 130 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ...... even more :eek:
    I've just seen a butterfly!
    Everything will be alright in the end - and if it's not alright, it's not the end ........
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Options
    We use skin so soft, or rather CHS does as he gets bitten the most, he pooh poohed it when I first got him it. But now he swears by it.
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Lillybet Where are you? It feels lovely and warm in the living room, the sun is streaming in but if I had patio doors there is no way I would open them. I'm sitting in a sunbeam. Enjoy the feeling of summer. I'm sure it is not warm after yesterday. My feet were still cold at bedtime.

Two of us, me and a stranger, though no one stays a stranger in this area long. We sat shivering in the corner of the bus shelter watching the bus we wanted standing in the bus station. When the bus came the driver was pressing a button very hard again and again and the doors would not open. He then got up and prised them open while we were freezing outside.

monna That was a laugh I've had two like that. Husbands I mean.

fuddle I'm very pale, they don't make foundation pale enough for me. When DS was at school the teaches would ring me and tell me he was ill when he went as pale. My palness is caused by my cancer medication.

I'm sure they will get to the bottom of the problems.

I wonder if Avon skin so soft will help my hands and feet? They go bright red and feel really sore. I can't pick things up and I can't walk when it's bad.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 February 2018 at 3:48PM
    Options
    Ive heard that the Avon SSS was good for midge bites but never actually from anyone who'd used it. I will get some as the little blighters love me and I have a reaction to them in the form of blistering! I've been using Boots stuff with a high deet content but not really comfortable with that although its better than the alternative.
    Monna - happy to help you with your tablet so you can whip it into shape - any sort of cake would be more precious than pearls........;) Hopefully a trip across the Solent will be on the cards this year and we'll finally get to meet ;)
    One of my clients at the IT sessions this morning bought me in a bunch of yellow roses to say thank you - so lovely and kind of her. I get real pleasure from seeing people master these gadgets - like little birds learning to fly.
    Its beautiful and sunny here too but B cold - if the next few days stay dry i'll try to do a bit of gardening. We're low lying so soil takes a while to dry out a bit.
    Fuddle - you seem to be very pragmatic now which is good. I've only just found out I've an irregular heartbeat - I know my mum had it. As I've had it for the last 70+ years dont think i'm going to start worrying about it now!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Still baltic up here and snow not moving at all in the shade. I'm not moving either, I'm stapled to the recliner. ;)
  • Cocketts
    Cocketts Posts: 130 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Lillybet Where are you? It feels lovely and warm in the living room, the sun is streaming in but if I had patio doors there is no way I would open them. I'm sitting in a sunbeam. Enjoy the feeling of summer. I'm sure it is not warm after yesterday. My feet were still cold at bedtime.

I'm in Essex - we've had blue skies all day. I've also seen bumblebees today - what on earth is going on?

Lilli
    Everything will be alright in the end - and if it's not alright, it's not the end ........
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cocketts, you are not the only one. I've had my patio windows open all day, washed muddy pawprints off the floor and gloried in the warm fresh air wafting through the house. There many be more freezing, wet and windy weather ahead, but days like this reassure me that misery is not permanent.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family