Old Pound coins

Options
I recently found some more old pound coins but when i went into my local santander, hsbc and post office today they said they do not take them.
Does any one know where I can still bank or exchange them?

Thanks

Comments

• mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Are one of those banks a bank that you are a customer of?
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,102 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    We've had this discussion on the Forum before - just donate them to a Charity -they will find a home for them.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Flobberchops
    Flobberchops Posts: 1,279 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Your own bank should accept them, but before you cash them in check to see if you have any rare ones. The UK cities series in particular is worth more than face value.
    : )
  • TuppenceHapenny
    Options
    Your own bank should accept them, but before you cash them in check to see if you have any rare ones. The UK cities series in particular is worth more than face value.
    What should you do with the rarer ones - try to sell them on ebay?
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    OP this topic has already been discussed, search the forums/internet for an answer.
  • Aura
    Aura Posts: 260 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Salvation army take them
  • Wheres_My_Cashback
    Options
    Old used £1 coins sell between £2 and £25 on ebay dependent on circulation year/design.
    I currently sell approx 30-50 coins per week, but still have about 4000 to offload.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Old used £1 coins sell between £2 and £25 on ebay dependent on circulation year/design.
    I currently sell approx 30-50 coins per week, but still have about 4000 to offload.
    Sounds like you're a reasonably serious Ebay seller - not sure if you're actually suggesting that the minimum selling price is £2 but from a quick look there are plenty of sales at much closer to face value (and obviously there are ancillary fees and postage, etc, to factor in too), so anyone reading your post and believing they can tidy up a nice profit from a small amount of commonplace coins is likely to be disappointed!

Or are you offering to take them off OP's hands at face value or above, on the basis that you'll still be able to make money from the deal? :)
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Your bank will take them, but you will need to go to your bank as they will pay them in and then do a withdrawal if you wish to have the current £1 back,

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • pochisoldi
    pochisoldi Posts: 261 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Mimi86 wrote: »
    I recently found some more old pound coins but when i went into my local santander, hsbc and post office today they said they do not take them.
    Does any one know where I can still bank or exchange them?

Thanks

Did you try paying them into an account, or simply tried to exchange them?

Most banks now are getting pretty finicky about doing anything with cash other than paying it into an account. (for example the recent posting I saw on these forums where Barclays refused to exchange £5 notes issued by an in bank ATM for £20 notes, because the person requesting wasn't a Barclays customer).

Part of this seems to be related to a general attitude of "If you're not our customer, and your transaction won't make us any money: Go away"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure