Can someone give me some advice

Options

Comments

• GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 13 July 2018 at 8:30AM
    Options
    If it just needs tyres (buy part-worn, half the price or less), wipers (peanuts) and bulbs (peanuts) apart from the cat, it's probably worthwhile just getting it fixed...could do another 4-5 years :)

edit - so you had a new cat already, should last much longer than 5 yrs.....why on earth do you think it needs scrapping?? As someone posted earlier, if you haven't already, whack it through a test and see how good/bad it actually is...
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You might get more for it if you sell it on ebay with no MoT for spares or repair.
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    How about finding out why the EML is on and fixing the fault?
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    foxy-stoat wrote: »
    How about finding out why the EML is on and fixing the fault?
    Oooh, steady. That's a bit edgy...
  • pink_boots
    pink_boots Posts: 61 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    As above, what has/will it fail on? Bit of outlay and you have a car you know and can use for another year?

Thank you for your answer. My car is an X plate so made in Dec. 2000. So very old and only worth £200. It's getting to the stage that repairs will cost more than the car if it fails. I phone the garage that does her Mot to book her in. I was told service dept busy and will be called back. They didn't. Phoned the next day and got the same response. That is not like them. They know my car and probably know that it would not pass and cost too much in repairs. It might also be they were trying to give me a hint.
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 July 2018 at 9:53AM
    Options
    pink_boots wrote: »
    Thank you for your answer. My car is an X plate so made in Dec. 2000. So very old and only worth £200. It's getting to the stage that repairs will cost more than the car if it fails. I phone the garage that does her Mot to book her in. I was told service dept busy and will be called back. They didn't. Phoned the next day and got the same response. That is not like them. They know my car and probably know that it would not pass and cost too much in repairs. It might also be they were trying to give me a hint.

Don't confuse the value of the car with what is a sensible amount to spend on repairs.

It may only be worth £200 but it costs you £0 in depreciation. £400 to get it through an MoT would still be cheap a year's motoring compared with what you could lose on a newer vehicle.
  • pink_boots
    Options
    As above, what has/will it fail on? Bit of outlay and you have a car you know and can use for another year?
    mrmechanic wrote: »
    Straight from the testing manual.

Engine malfunction indicator lamp
    Turn on the ignition and check that the engine malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) illuminates and then goes off. On some vehicles it will be necessary to start the engine before the MIL goes off.

Defect Category
    Emissions levels exceed the manufacturer’s specified limits
    Major
    Emissions levels exceed default limits
    Major
    Lambda coefficient outside the default limits or the range specified by the manufacturer
    Major
    Emissions test unable to be completed
    Major
    Engine is idling clearly above its normal idle speed
    Major
    Exhaust emits dense blue or clearly visible black smoke for a continuous period of 5 seconds at idle
    Major
    Exhaust emits excessive dense blue or clearly visible black smoke during acceleration which would obscure the view of other road users
    Major
    Engine MIL inoperative or indicating a malfunction
    Major

Mm. Well there has not been any dense blue or black smoke smoke at all. The MIL light goes off when car is started. With the cat replaced about 5 years ago, emissions test should be fine. The problem is the car is an X plate and only worth £200. As I said to another member, the garaged that I always take her to for the MOT have more or less fobbed me off when I tried to book it in.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    Quite, LandyAndy.

You bin it, and get £50. You put that £50 with the £400 it would have cost for a ticket. It costs you £50 in insurance etc charges to change car.
    You have £400 to spend on a replacement.

Is that going to get you something markedly newer/tidier than what you have now? But you know the history of the one you have now...

You've had this debate with yourself for the last few years - what's different about this year? A bit of scaremongering about how the MOT's got a lot harder? (It hasn't).
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    pink_boots wrote: »
    Mm. Well there has not been any dense blue or black smoke smoke at all. The MIL light goes off when car is started. With the cat replaced about 5 years ago, emissions test should be fine. The problem is the car is an X plate and only worth £200. As I said to another member, the garaged that I always take her to for the MOT have more or less fobbed me off when I tried to book it in.

Take it to another garage. If the replacement car turns out to be a lemon you will regret throwing away the X reg car.

I have a Y reg car, I have no plans on scrapping it unless it actually fails the MOT
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • pink_boots
    Options
    GunJack wrote: »
    If it just needs tyres (buy part-worn, half the price or less), wipers (peanuts) and bulbs (peanuts) apart from the cat, it's probably worthwhile just getting it fixed...could do another 4-5 years :)

edit - so you had a new cat already, should last much longer than 5 yrs.....why on earth do you think it needs scrapping?? As someone posted earlier, if you haven't already, whack it through a test and see how good/bad it actually is...

Thank you for your answer. I think I will chance getting it mot at another garage. I really have nothing to lose if it fails because I am resigned to the fact it might have to be scrapped. Thank you again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure