PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Cutting our losses & moving - costs?

My partner & I were first time buyers a few years ago, we bought an old terrace house and to cut a long story short... the place had been a money pit and still needs some expensive jobs doing.

Not being too enthusiastic about shelling out thousands on renovative work on a property that isn’t a ‘forever home’ & being weary of things breaking, we are trying to decide whether it might be worth cutting our losses and moving.

I’m not sure we will sell it for what we paid if buyers are diligent, but should get about 5k more than what’s oweing on the mortgage (sought after area with top schools). What costs should we expect to move to a house costing about £180k?

Comments

• mrginge
    mrginge Posts: 4,843 Forumite
    Where is your deposit coming from?
  • sal_III
    sal_III Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    At the very least you will have to consider any ERC on the current mortgage + solicitors costs for selling/buying + moving costs.

These vary, but at a guesstimate - the £5k "leftover" from your current property should cover them.

And then you will need sufficient deposit for the new property. At current market 5% minimum so £9k if you can find a generous Lender, in most cases you will need 10-20% £18-36k
  • Robby1988
    Robby1988 Posts: 182 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for the replies. Looks like we need more equity to play with then.

Must admit I am a bit confused re: deposits when moving house. I have known a lot of friends & family who have moved house and never heard anything about having to save up another 10% deposit, which is beyond most people.
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Usually most people will have paid enough equity into their house so that on selling it, together with house price inflation, they will have enough equity to put a deposit down on their next property.

Buying the next house too soon may make this less likely to happen.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • SG27
    SG27 Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    Robby1988 wrote: »
    My partner & I were first time buyers a few years ago, we bought an old terrace house and to cut a long story short... the place had been a money pit and still needs some expensive jobs doing.

Not being too enthusiastic about shelling out thousands on renovative work on a property that isn’t a ‘forever home’ & being weary of things breaking, we are trying to decide whether it might be worth cutting our losses and moving.

I’m not sure we will sell it for what we paid if buyers are diligent, but should get about 5k more than what’s oweing on the mortgage (sought after area with top schools). What costs should we expect to move to a house costing about £180k?

How much is the house you are thinking of selling?
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    zagubov wrote: »
    Usually most people will have paid enough equity into their house so that on selling it, together with house price inflation, they will have enough equity to put a deposit down on their next property.

Buying the next house too soon may make this less likely to happen.

As will no one wanting to pay the inflated price on the first one :)
    Big debt and illiquid over-priced assets are a dangerous combination.
  • Robby1988
    Robby1988 Posts: 182 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    SG27 wrote: »
    How much is the house you are thinking of selling?

Realistically £125-£130k.
  • SG27
    SG27 Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    edited 8 July 2018 at 5:11PM
    Assuming you sell for £125k and buy for £180k

You will have to pay as a rough guide:

Estate agents fee (around 1% +vat) £1500
    Solictors fees (sale and purchase) £1500
    Stamp duty £1100
    Survey: £500
    Removals £300
    Mortgage fee ?

So you are looking around £5k for moving costs.

You will then need to fund the difference in sale price to new purchase price, which is £55k. This can be an increased mortgage if your income allows, but you will still need to fund a deposit 10%, being £18k. As you have £5k equity you will need at least £13k cash to put towards it plus the fees above.

You may also have to factor early repayment charges on your current mortgage (or you could avoid these by porting if the mortgage allows it)

Moving house is expensive! :(
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Sounds like you are better off staying put.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure