Car Parked over dropped kerb blocking home owners car in

Comments

• Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    facade wrote: »
    Do you have to pay in advance now?

There must be something nasty you can get sent round that is invoiced rather than cash in advance.

I get the occasional pizza delivery or taxi arrive late night because I've crossed someone in the past, no idea when or who, which is why it is so perfect- I'm left bewildered and irritated wondering what is going on, and someone gets to lick a pencil and put another tick by my name while feeling all warm and tingly inside.

I've used several skips, never once had to pay in advance. Payment on collection every time.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Mercdriver wrote: »
    I've used several skips, never once had to pay in advance. Payment on collection every time.

All pay in advance or on delivery round our way.
  • All pay in advance or on delivery round our way.

Lets skip this off-topic discussion
  • happybiker
    happybiker Posts: 206 Forumite
    edited 4 July 2018 at 1:16AM
    AS the title says, my parents awoke this morning to find a car parked over/on their dropped kerb, blocking their car in the front garden.

Following numerous phone calls local community police officer came around late this afternoon, and told them that its taxed, insured and has a mot and has not been reported stolen and they (the police) can't do anything about it - oh just to add the owner lives a long, long way away but would not tell them where, and they won't contact them as its not reported stolen. The only thing he said he could do was contact the council for them to put a ticket on it as its illegially parked!!!

Is this right! My parents have appointments etc they need to get to but can't get the car out!

Any ideas on how to get the car moved, it could be parked there for days at this rate, and they are meant to be going away on a short break in a couple of days.

There are possibly 2 areas of responsibility here . The first is parking against a dropped kerb, which is a civil matter and may be dealt with by the police or the local authority, depending on where the responsibility lies.
    The other area is a criminal matter of immobilising a vehicle by a method not previously in place. This contravenes the 'Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Chapter 2 ., part 3, section 54'

You are at liberty to move the vehicle provided you do it safely.

My first action would be to write a very strong letter of complaint to the Area Chief Constable, outlining the problem and the ignorance of the PCSO and his immediate superiors, also their apparent reluctance to uphold the law (Quote the relevant legislation)

You could just call out the PCSO again, show him the printed legislation and tell him to get his bottom moving before you kick the problem higher up
  • OP; any update?
  • Fen1
    Fen1 Posts: 1,577 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Do your parents have any friendly friends or neighbours who could park their cars around the offending vehicle and block him in? If there is an Alan Bennett style old lady in a van, even better. You know what she did when she had to "go".....
  • malky39
    malky39 Posts: 700 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Reporting it for no tax will probably not get it moved, the dvla would just come and put a clamp on it and a big sticker on the window saying untaxed and it will sit for while. Also if it is not taxed I would imagine that the insurance is not valid, I may be wrong though
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    malky39 wrote: »
    Reporting it for no tax will probably not get it moved, the dvla would just come and put a clamp on it and a big sticker on the window saying untaxed and it will sit for while. Also if it is not taxed I would imagine that the insurance is not valid, I may be wrong though

Lack of tax won't change the insurance status.
  • gazapc
    gazapc Posts: 257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Get a half decent trolley jack and gently push the car forward/backwards. The provision of trays (like you get your food on in mcdonalds or supermarket cafes) may also help reduce friction on the remaining wheels.
  • Ant555
    Ant555 Posts: 1,569 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Its been a week now...

Any update OP or is the car still there??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure