Hit while in queuing traffic

I was hit yesterday while in a queue. The lady said her foot slipped.
I took the car for a quite and it's £250.
I am self employed & need my car, but to save them money, I could have the work done in January while I am away. I have asked them to pay the body shop now though.
As of now they haven't done so. To cover myself, how long should I leave it before contacting them again?
Loved our trip to the West Coast USA. Death Valley is the place to go!

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    If they haven't done as you requested, then give them a short deadline, failing this you will contact their insurer

You could consider just approaching their insurer now.

Assuming liability is clear cut then they will provide a replacement car whilst repairs are carried out (if they won't you can hire your own and pursue them to reimburse your costs along with your other uninsured items, or consider using a claim handling company to deal directly with the third party insurer.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    IMO I would never ask the third party to pay privately, go through your insurers.

You can't control what they will do, at least through your insurers you know it will be done, nor will they short change you
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • The cash didn't materialise so am going through my insurance company. On checking the.gov site, it turns out that they have no tax on the car. Will the insurers pick this up?
  • Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,177
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    The cash didn't materialise so am going through my insurance company. On checking the.gov site, it turns out that they have no tax on the car. Will the insurers pick this up?
    Probably not, and if they do it's irrelevant to your claim.
  • Aretnap wrote: »
    Probably not, and if they do it's irrelevant to your claim.
    Was more concerned that there's a t&c on insurance that it has to be taxed & mot
  • Any issues the third party has with not having tax etc will not prevent you having a successful claim against them/ their insurer. It would be up to the third party insurers to pay your claim and then hose their own policyholder down for any costs or fees they feel are appropriate due to breach of policy terms.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure