My journey to a debt free life

Comments

• Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 9,999 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I'm glad your mum doesn't have long to wait. :)

Your idea of a day off is like mine: do ALL the jobs :D. It's a lovely feeling when the house looks nice though isn't it.

It's interesting about the headaches going. Do people still use Tens or acupuncture to combat pain, I wonder?
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Onebrokelady
    Onebrokelady Posts: 7,378 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I'm glad your mum doesn't have long to wait. :)

Your idea of a day off is like mine: do ALL the jobs :D. It's a lovely feeling when the house looks nice though isn't it.

It's interesting about the headaches going. Do people still use Tens or acupuncture to combat pain, I wonder?
    :rotfl:yep that's exactly my idea of a day off,it was so hot I wanted to get it done so it would dry quickly and the plan is I can relax for the rest of the week......of course that won't happen but I can dream :rotfl:
    I've tried a tens machine but unfortunately it didn't help,I think the pain is too widespread, people have had varying results with acupuncture but I cant afford it now,I am going to soldier on and see how it goes,I've downloaded an app called Curable that teaches you how to manage pain with your mind so I'm going to give that a go and I'm also toying with the idea of trying CBD oil as that has helped a lot of people with chronic pain
    I struggled today at work because my hips and legs were hurting but I made it to the end of the shift and now don't feel too bad,I'm off to bed in a bit because I've got to get up early tomorrow as well
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,080.1 Owed = £11,549.9
  • Onebrokelady
    Busy busy day at work today and I did struggle and at one point was going to ask to leave a bit early but I made it until the end and because it was quiet they let me go 45 minutes early anyway,I was in a clinic in the afternoon and that always helps because it's not so frantic and its cooler in Outpaitients than it is on the ward,our ward in summer is like an oven and working in it is hard work
    I've got DGS all day tomorrow so have to get up early,I have to go into town and always end up in Costa so seeing as its nice weather I'm taking a picnic to eat on the green in front of the cathedral,I will buy myself a premade iced coffee from a shop but will be saving money by taking my own food and DGS can get out of his buggy and crawl around on the grass for a bit,I always used to take my girls there for lunch in the summer when they were little and it's so nice on a sunny day.
    I have food shopping to do tomorrow but don't get paid until Wednesday and I'm right at the end of my budget so I'm just going to buy the ingredients to make a veg curry and some other bits I need,that will be 4 main meals for me this week,then I can go shopping properly on Thursday,I'm finding that now I just shop mainly for myself it's better to just buy a few days at a time rather than a weekly shop because otherwise I end up throwing stuff away
    I'm also booking another hack out with the new riding school tomorrow possibly for Thursday or I might go for Saturday because I'm free,I only have two weeks to go until my Clydesdale adventure ride so I'm getting excited now
    Right I had better go to bed as I have an early start tomorrow,I'm shattered though so hopefully I will sleep
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 9,999 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Great that you got out of work early! I hope you have a better day tomorrow. Perhaps the CBD oil will prove helpful.

I hate it when work is too hot - it makes everything not doubly hard but many times harder. We have a few rooms at work which are stifling. We have to open windows and put several fans on but for some reason the place was built without air con or ceiling fans, either of which would help considerably. I always have some summer-weight clothes available for work even in winter.

I hope your next hack goes as well as the last. They do sound a nice place to ride with and of course you have to keep your hand in so you get the most out of the Clydesdales!
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Onebrokelady
    Well I hope everyone is enjoying this lovely weather,it's been hot hot hot here and I have really enjoyed the bits I've managed to be out in.
    We had a lovely day on Tuesday with DGS having a picnic on the green,I don't think it will be long before he is trying to walk.
    Wednesday was a work day which was busy and hot so not very pleasant at all
    I was supposed to go riding on Thursday but didn't end up booking it as I've been in a bit of pain this week due to not being allowed to take any painkillers,I thought I'd better not book it in case I couldn't go and I'm so glad I didn't because I was ill all day with an upset tummy,I wasn't sick or anything but felt really sick all day,I was so worried it was going to turn into something and I wouldn't be able to go to work but it didn't so I went to work yesterday, I still feel a bit queasy today but I'm not sure if it's a bug or withdrawal from not taking my painkillers,I'm on day 10 today so hopefully if it's that it will go away soon,the bonus is that my headache has mostly gone now which is a massive relief
    Today I'm pottering round at home not doing a lot if I can help it,I was going into town with my daughter but she had a strop so we aren't going now:( you wouldn't think she was 31 years old she behaves like a 5 year old sometimes :eek:she will be in a mood for the rest of the day now though which is annoying ,but never mind if she wants to cut her nose off to spite her face that's up to her
    We have new neighbours moving in next door today,it's a family with two young boys by the look of it,they look like decent people so hopefully will be ok,the people who own the house have been renting it out for a few years now and it's always a worry when someone new moves in because you never know what they will be like,the people in there a few years ago were ok but when they left they dumped all their rubbish in the lane behind the houses and me and my neighbours had to clear it all up,the people that own the house don't bother with it at all so when it's unoccupied it starts to look a bit scruffy,these people are here for a year and I think the house is then going to be sold
    Right that's my lunch break over,I'm now off to do some tidying in the garden:)
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,086 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Oh dear, OBL, you have been having a difficult time, & I'm sorry to hear that. I do hope your Mum's op goes well. They are a worry at that age, aren't they, without the huge additional stress of emergency surgery.
    Sorry to hear about the headaches too. I definitely think it's possible to get headaches from regular painkiller use. I used to suffer every month with awful period pain & could only work if I took really strong painkillers (dy di something or other codiene). I usually needed them every 4 hrs for the 1st couple of days, then I'd be fine, but every month, I'd get to day 4 of my cycle & bad headache would set in. I was moaning about this to a colleague & she said it was probably sort of mild withdrawal from the codiene. It was the 1st time I'd heard of painkillers potentially causing headaches.
    On the positive side, lovely to hear about your horsey adventures because your enjoyment really shone through when you were telling us about them. We all need to do the things that bring us joy at least sometimes.
    And well done for not getting spendy during such a stressful time. You should give yourself a big pat on the back for that.
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • Onebrokelady
    Thanks Foxgloves,I will be glad when mums op is over and she is recovered,I don't think she is going to cope well with losing a breast because she worries enough about her appearance now,she looks after herself and dresses really nicely,I've tried to soften the blow by suggesting we go to our local lingerie shop to buy some special mastectomy bras,this shop has been here forever and the lady that runs it fits everyone personally,her bras are gorgeous and the mastectomy range is still pretty so hopefully that will cheer mum up a bit,I jokingly asked her last week who she was th8nkingnof flashing her boobs off to anyway as she was worrying about how she will look
    I've been sooooo tempted by so called treats over the last few weeks,I even stopped to look at the magazines in the supermarket the other day but I talked myself round and left without one,I'm not going down that slippery road again
    I'm so excited about the riding,only 7 more sleeps to go:j:j:j
  • Onebrokelady
    edited 30 June 2018 at 9:33PM
    Well I didn't get a lot done in the end today,It was sooooo hot I just lazed around reading diaries on here,I did manage to clean the chickens out and change my bed,I've just been out and swept the patio and walked the dog then I came in and had a cold shower which was bracing to say the least:eek:
    I did do my banking today as I have slipped into the habit of not transferring the savings money into the accounts until late in the month and I'm running the risk of it getting swallowed up on other things,so I did it today,I now have £450 in the emergencey fund and £300 in the Xmas fund,I'm so pleased with this I smile to myself every time I think about it,Im going to update my signature in a minute :T The money cam from extra in my bank account so I still have DDs boyfriends rent money to go as well when he gives it to me
    DDs boyfriend is back from his holiday now so we were naughty tonight and had pizza for tea,it was a special deal because of the football though so was really cheap,DD has cheered up again now as well :rotfl:
  • Onebrokelady
    edited 1 July 2018 at 9:51PM
    Quiet day at work today so it was quite pleasant,I sat with a patient and watched Despicable Me in the afternoon,such a funny film,I love days like today where you get everything done and you have time to actually spend with the patients rather than rushing round like a loony all day,the bonus of the day was that it was so quiet I got to leave 45 minutes early again so I'm now home and relaxing after a cool shower

We had rain and thunder today and I thought it would clear the air and cool things down a bit but it hasn't made any difference at all,I do love the sun and the heat but only if I don't have to go to work,I'm so glad I did my bits in the garden yesterday:)

I'm still feeling queasy today and have stomach cramps and I'm thinking it's definitely withdrawal symptoms,coming off codeine cold turkey when you take as much as I do at least three days a week is going to cause a few problems but I'm determined not to give in,I have another prescription waiting for me at the pharmacy but I haven't picked it up because I don't want it in the house,the good thing is that although my tummy feels a bit fragile my pain levels haven't increased massively so that's a positive thing,I was waiting for a massive flair up but so far nothing major has happened,I'm not pain free but its at a manageable level,the headache was totally gone today for the first time since March, it's such a relief

I came across an app on FB the other day called Curable,people are raving about it so I thought I would give the free trial a go to see what happens,it's basic premis is that chronic pain is caused by the brain and not anything physical,the researchers think that it's often caused by repressed emotions,past trauma, stress and anxiety,I listened to the info and it makes sooo much sense to me,they were describing me exactly,I don't express my emotions and they say this leads to the brain dealing with it in a physical way instead,the app isn't free and I'm trying to decided whether to buy it or not,its £58 for a whole year and you can't cancel it or it's £9.87 a month but you can cancel at any time,The bits I've done on the free trial have been amazing and I feel so positive about managing my pain so I am tempted to do it,I pay out £30 every two months for my prescription so if I could get to a point where I don't need it I would be saving money,they mention that their work is based on the works of a Dr John Sarno,I've been on amazon and bought one of his books about healing chronic pain so I'm going to read that before I decide what to do

I have two lovely days off to look forward to now,I'm not sure what I'm doing with them yet apart from a large pile of ironing that needs doing :( but I will see how I feel in the morning,I do have to get some shopping as well at some point so might do that tomorrow
    I was supposed to be going with mum when she has her op on Tuesday but she isn't allowed to take anyone so I'm going to wait at home and then phone my dad to see how it's gone,it's a daycare so it's probably not worth me going up to visit,I might as well visit her when she gets home I think
  • Onebrokelady
    Today has been very productive,I managed a lie in until 9.30 am but was woken by a neighbours dog barking constantly,I think it's the same dog that woke me up at 3am on Sunday morning,it was outside barking for about 10 minutes, I was so annoyed because I had work

The sun is shining again so I got all my washing done dried ironed and put away,I cleaned the kitchen and bathroom then hoovered through and polished the house,DD was working today as she has managed to get some bank shifts at her old job all week and her boyfriend was out all day too so I had the house to myself,I find it easier to get things done if the house is empty,they are both home now and have cooked so I told them to clean the kitchen after because it was a right mess this morning and I'm fed up of doing it over and over again
    I'm chilling out now catching up on here ,I have to take the dog out in a bit then shower and that's me done for the day

Today's bonus is that although I felt a bit queasy this morning it got better as the day went on and now I don't feel too bad at all so hopefully I have turned a corner,it's day 12 now so nearly two weeks with no codeine and my pain levels haven't increased either, No headache either so I'm happy

Tomorrow I am going to do my shopping so I need to make a list in the morning,I've run out of a lot of cleaning stuff and wash powder so it will be a bit more costly than normal,I'm going to look in Wilkos to see what their prices are like compared to Sainsbury's because that where I will be getting my shopping from,I would love to shop in Aldi but they just don't stock the veggi options that I have and whenever I buy fruit and veg there it goes mouldy really quickly,there is a really good veg stall in my town so I think I will start using them for my fruit and veg
    I have some over ripe bananas to use up so think I will make a banana bread tomorrow as well

It's Mums op day tomorrow, Im going to keep myself busy and try not to worry,Dad is going to phone me to update how it's gone,I'm not sure if I will see her tomorrow,I think it would be better if she went home to bed to be honest,if I don't see her tomorrow I will have to wait until Thursday because I'm working on Wednesday
    The SC payment has gone out today so I can update my signature, it's so satisfying seeing it go down each month
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback