Tesco clubcard rewards change today

We often use clubcard boost to eat out or do activities. I’ve received an email today saying that from today vouchers will be worth 3 times the value through boost and not 4 times as it has been in the past. I don’t recall any previous notification saying changes were due. Can Tesco do this with no notice does anyone know? Thanks

Comments

• Wassa123
    Wassa123 Posts: 393 Forumite
    I’m disappointed with it too. I only ever used the 4x deals.

I’ll wait for MSE to update their best rewards credit card list to see if it’s worth swapping to another provider.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,816 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    The general "Days Out" vouchers are still 4X but the specific venue ones are now 3X.
  • Absolutely disgusting Tesco, no forewarning, if we had known we could have stocked up on vouchers but you just dropped everything by 25%. Looks like I may have to find another credit card now as this clearly isn't worth what it used to be, and the points are much harder to gain so all in all just rubbish.
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Are people going to just accept it or will there be a challenge from consumer bodies?

It is not lawful to devalue the value of existing vouchers. They are free to reduce the value of future points which convert to vouchers but not existing ones.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,942 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Crabman wrote: »
    Are people going to just accept it or will there be a challenge from consumer bodies?

It is not lawful to devalue the value of existing vouchers. They are free to reduce the value of future points which convert to vouchers but not existing ones.

I'm assuming new vouchers issued will be at the new poorer rate. You seem to be suggesting that anyone already holding vouchers will have them reduced.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 16 January 2018 at 12:56AM
    silvercar wrote: »
    I'm assuming new vouchers issued will be at the new poorer rate. You seem to be suggesting that anyone already holding vouchers will have them reduced.

The point crabman was making that it was unfair to reduce the value of vouchers already earned and issued by having to use more of them to get your reward tokens. Not tokens already issued as it will make no difference to those.

This is the email I received from Tesco

We want to let you know about a change we’re making to the value of the Clubcard vouchers you use with our Reward Partners.

Previously your vouchers were worth 2 times their value with some of our Reward Partners – and others were worth 4 times.

We’ve decided to make things easier. From today, you’ll get 3 times the value of your vouchers across the majority of our Reward Partners at tesco.com/clubcard/boost.

This won’t affect any orders you may have already placed with our Reward Partners that are worth 4 times the value.

If you have any questions, please take a look at our FAQs.

Thank you for shopping at Tesco.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I didn't receive an email from them. We usually use ours for Pizza Express. Currently sitting on £99 worth, so that's £99 less.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• amayeta
    amayeta Posts: 93 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 17 January 2018 at 7:40AM
    Like other's I never received any notice and I tried to exchange somr vouchers before the 16th and wasn't able to so I sent to query this.
    Still no response.
    I save my vouchers for days out and restaurants with kids as I'm on a low income.
    What a load of rubbish Tesco is saying "Making things simpler by reducing exchange value from 4 to 3 times have value" customers are not stupid.
    It's simply cheaper for them.
    So I'm def not happy.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,816 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 17 January 2018 at 2:10PM
    Crabman wrote: »

POPPYOSCAR wrote: »
    The point crabman was making that it was unfair to reduce the value of vouchers already earned and issued by having to use more of them to get your reward tokens. Not tokens already issued as it will make no difference to those.
    Nothing already held has been devalued or reduced. Your £5 venue specific voucher is still worth £5. A £5 Tesco clubcard voucher is still worth £5. 500 points will still convert to a £5 Tesco voucher. It is just that £5 Tesco voucher will buy less now, just like everything else out there in the real world.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure