PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The NEW waiting to exchange thread...

Options

Comments

• CommitedToChange
    Options
    mutley74 wrote: »
    A lock smith advised me the same, saying one does not know who has the keys since the front door was installed in 2003 (UPVC door) (although he would say that!), but he had a fair point.

Exactly. Plus I can change both myself - so it's not that expensive. But so worth it for peace of mind even if I got a locksmith to do it.
  • marcosscriven
    Options
    Was meant to exchange on Friday, but Barclays held up things by not answering a letter confirming a condition had been met.

The good news is solicitor did get it by fax late in the day, so fingers crossed ready for Monday.
  • Flutterbat17
    Options
    The old bloke we were buying off has changed the locks for us. Actually think we will keep in contact with our seller.
    I think if we hadn’t have had such a good relationship with our seller during this process things would still be on going. We managed to sort out a lot of issues between us that our Solicitors would have taken weeks to sort.

Weirdly though we haven’t spoken at all with our buyer!
  • mutley74
    mutley74 Posts: 4,022 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The old bloke we were buying off has changed the locks for us. Actually think we will keep in contact with our seller.
    I think if we hadn’t have had such a good relationship with our seller during this process things would still be on going. We managed to sort out a lot of issues between us that our Solicitors would have taken weeks to sort.

Weirdly though we haven’t spoken at all with our buyer!

I'm keeping all my communications through the sols...vendor is too keen to whine about not getting the money he wants for the house (I'm still paying more than the valuation) and had good moan if he does not move on a certain date he loses some of his remaining annual leave - a date which i told them in October i cannot do if they proceed with my offer! So far all delays are with them!
  • FTB1991
    Options
    Hi All,

Thought I will add our journey through the joys of house buying as FTB’S.

17/08 - AIP received.
    22/08 - Viewed house (No Chain), loved it and submitted a offer at asking price. Accepted in a hour.
    24/08 - Mortgage application with Halifax, was given a mortgage with 5% deposit.
    All going along smoothly then the problems started.....
    14/09 - Valuation finally done after a 10 day delay.
    15/09 - Report came back with a few issues (wall ties/rendering). House revalued to 155k from 160k. Is worth 160k once works are completed. We decided to find quotes for the works, though a retention of funds was very likely.
    1/11 - Mortgage offer finally through the door. During this time we had a number of delays including a 15 day delay with the valuer to go through the estimates of works to be completed. During this time we renegotiated the price to 155k and no retention was applied.
    16/11 - Searches finally started.
    04/12 - All searches come back fine.
    07/12 - Signed our contracts and set a completion date for the 15th
    08/12 - Solictor only now realised that Halifax set a condition that the commercial status is to be removed from the property. Old post office used to be attached to the side now incorporated into the house. Local search didn’t pick any building regs to convert it to residential.
    10/12-15/12 - A number of enquiries and emails back and forth between both sets of solicitors and the banks (Very stressful). The valuer was happy with the commercial aspect as it has not been used for 20 years and now we are set to pick up the keys tomorrow!!

Feels strange not chasing people and being stressed now. Hopefully this (rather lengthy) post can give some insight to the buying process to all buyers out there. It has definitely taught that a lot of patience is required!

Good luck to the rest of you out there.

Now time for the next stressful part, moving in!
  • Aliliva
    Aliliva Posts: 178 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Good Monday morning everyone! And well done to all the people that exchanged/completed over the weekend.

I've been to the property on saturday, to get a couple of quotes from the heating engineers to change the boiler. And in the meantime take another good look and decide which works are urgent before getting in. Is it normal that now I feel like I made a mistake picking this property? And that I should have waited?! :D
    Anyway, EA told me he's expecting things to stall now till mid-Jan, so I'll never exchange any sooner than mid-Feb. So good for the "vendors want a quick sale": I'm ready to go, keep on chasing everyone and their mothers...but the vendors' solicitor is just not sending anything to mine!
    GC £~~/300
  • Tiglath
    Tiglath Posts: 3,816 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Slight wrinkle - another party in the house chain has been added. Our vendor's vendors are waiting on a mortgage offer, which we weren't originally told about - we thought they were mortgagefree/empty property. Our vendor has said he'd pull out if it looked pearshaped from our end as he's been in this position before, but our end is actually looking okay so hopefully he'll be reassured with his estate agent's update on what's happening downwards. The delays are at the top end and I think our vendor's just getting a bit frustrated. The estate agent doesn't think there's a problem. Things are still happening albeit slowly, so we won't be exchanging till after the New Year now, and nothing at all will happen after this Friday for 11 days. 3 months in and counting ...
    "Save £12k in 2019" #120 - £100,699.57/£100,000
  • Firsttimebuyers
    Options
    Aliliva wrote: »
    Good Monday morning everyone! And well done to all the people that exchanged/completed over the weekend.

I've been to the property on saturday, to get a couple of quotes from the heating engineers to change the boiler. And in the meantime take another good look and decide which works are urgent before getting in. Is it normal that now I feel like I made a mistake picking this property? And that I should have waited?! :D
    Anyway, EA told me he's expecting things to stall now till mid-Jan, so I'll never exchange any sooner than mid-Feb. So good for the "vendors want a quick sale": I'm ready to go, keep on chasing everyone and their mothers...but the vendors' solicitor is just not sending anything to mine!

I felt exactly the same, noticed more things that needed doing - and started second guessing whether we should be buying it, or whether we should pull out and wait to see what comes on the market after Christmas. I feel ok about it now, a couple of weeks on, I think it was just nerves.
  • Aliliva
    Aliliva Posts: 178 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I felt exactly the same, noticed more things that needed doing - and started second guessing whether we should be buying it, or whether we should pull out and wait to see what comes on the market after Christmas. I feel ok about it now, a couple of weeks on, I think it was just nerves.

Probably! And maybe I should stop reading home horror stories on the internet and daydreaming over interior design magazines!
    GC £~~/300
  • CommitedToChange
    Options
    Afternoon

We my sol confirmed that we won't be exchanging, let alone completing before Christmas. While not a huge suprise after the probate shock of last week - I'm still gutted. I did still have a tiny glimmer of hope that it would get sorted and I'd be in for Christmas.

Hopefully my broker can extend my mortgage agreement and we can exchange complete in Jan. At least I can just now enjoy Christmas and stop thinking about it until next year. Ha as if, but at least I won't be waiting for phone calls. Well except for my broker confirming my mortgage extention. Sigh.

Honestly the worst bit is that a tiny part of me is still waiting for a call back saying actually we can go forward - so stupid.

And yes - I keep thinking I've made a mistake, the house next door to the one I'm buying actually went on the market a month after mine - and I do prefer their living room/dining room layout but prefer my kitchen and bathroom. No I wasn't looking - but I was driving past my house (as you do) and saw the for sale sign and I just HAD to look - I'm an idiot ;)

Good look to those completing this week - I now need to get ready for my parents coming to stay for a week in my tiny flat :eek:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback