A whole new world, for now

Comments

• Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 9,851
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Here's to a better tomorrow x
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 89,801
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    Hope today has been ok.
    Baby steps xx
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Hope the headspace works...
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Enjoy your break inod. It’s good to get away - helps with a new perspective on things.
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • jwil
    jwil Posts: 18,825
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Hope all is ok and you have a good break xx
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • so, a week has passed. where did it go? worked 3 days in Dublin last wed - fri and went to see Alice Cooper and Dara O'Briain. Both were great though OH and I had a row on Tuesday that festered until Fri. the drive home helped to get things sorted.
    workwise, things have been fits and starts and it's not good. I unexpectedly got 4 days work so will be back to Dublin tomorrow, Fri, Mon and Tues.
    Money continues to be a pressure with funds continuing to flow out and little to nothing coming in. That was one of the issues that caused the row between me and OH. He just doesn't engage on financial matters. i will talk or ask questions and then nothing changes. he's got a good pension pot and a steady income and just doesn't see that i have concerns about the future. He's also paranoid about dipping into emergency funds. However, I think me having less than 2k income since March constitutes an emergency especially when there is money to come in. accordingly, he continues with his money as he always did (he did up his contribution to the household pot in March) but is oblivious to me not having access to cash. He had a big work meeting this morning so we will be having a discussion this evening. yesterday he sent me details of a concert that he's like to go to. I'm sure the assumption is that the tickets will be provided. this is going to be the means to engage him with the budget. it simply isn't sustainable and, more importantly, I don't see why it should be.
    on other news, last week's jobs went well. I also got feedback from my friend on the application for the part time post that I submitted ages ago. apparently, the application is broadly where it needs to be so I will be submitting for another post tomorrow. neither posts start until March next year but if I got either, it'd be a guaranteed monthly income for 3 years which would take the pressure off my income generation which can have peaks and troughs.
    on other news, I cashed out SB and quidco M&S vouchers and combined these with a sparks offer to get a haul at the weekend. I also rounded up items purchased incrementally for Christmas and i'm happy to report that most things are covered. I also have started to refuse to accept poor service and tesco are sending me a £10 gift voucher following a complaint.
    today I am grateful for
    friendship
    an unexpected gift
    maximising offers
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st 9lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 30.15% through my pb challenge.
  • Hey INOD,

It's hard when they aren't on board with the finances isn't it.

I have a hard time with my husband every now and then.

Yesterday he put £50 on the credit card to buy cigarettes and was unhappy that I transferred that amount over to pay the credit card this morning, well I'm sorry but that is not a household expense so it's coming out of your pocket!

We'll see how that goes later on when he's in from work.

Good on you for getting the voucher from Tesco.

Dxxx
  • Hope you managed to get things straightened out somewhat tonight.
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • went to jog club last night and, by the time I got home showered and fed, it was pretty close to bed time. then had a call from a friend whose husband has moved out. the conversation did not happen! this morning I was underway at 6 so only grunts were exchanged this morning. am currently in a hotel in Dublin having worked through to six this evening. I am shattered. I also had a very bad fish and chips for dinner which was not good. today's job was a bit of an odd one and i'm back to it on Monday. I'm really not sure how this will play out.

on the plus side, a client contacted me today asking for their invoice so they can pay it from this year's budget. there's still some fine tuning needed but they are happy that I can get this done while the invoice is being processed. I am so so relieved. I also have been commissioned to do a 15 min webinar next Friday which I'm dreading but I can't afford to turn down work. I just need to find a way of getting the dog out of the house.
    Today I am grateful for
    nice coffee
    dumping food that I wasn't enjoying - I'd previously have eaten it anyway
    a safe journey
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st 9lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 30.15% through my pb challenge.
  • Maybe you should have saved the fish & chips to bribe the dog to leave the house while you do the webinar?

You sound exhausted. I hope you get a good night's rest and tomorrow goes well.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport