PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Money Saving Expert / CAB pilot service

Comments

• WeegieWumman
    WeegieWumman Posts: 325
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I welcome this CAB pilot service. Like anything new, it will have teething problems. There's no reason why it shouldn't have the capacity to evolve into a really useful forum. Good luck with it.
  • mel12
    mel12 Posts: 298 Forumite
    Just a suggestion, but have CAB thought of taking on and training volunteers to do online-only advice. I had a look into volunteering for my local one but its daytime only hours that are difficult to fit around working. I, and perhaps other people might be interested in doing some evening or weekend volunteer work, which would also help CAB give more regular replies to the questions here.
    Only after the last tree has been cut down,
    Only after the last river has been poisoned,
    Only after the last fish has been caught,
    Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten
  • Lady_K
    Lady_K Posts: 4,429
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 11 June 2012 at 11:45PM
    Why is this thread bright yellow and bright blue rather than the usual green and light aqua? Are all of the threads going to be changed to this colour?
    Thanx

Lady_K
  • I think the CAB Branding is KEY to how people behave on the Board.
    I for one have had it up to here with Benefits Bashers who interfere with other peoples Claim Threads and stand in judgement over things that are private, but shared in trust with people hoping to get help.
    Because of the above I have not felt able to open up and be myself in true MSE fashion. (ATOS and Corporate Representation/Lobbying/Nagging doesn't help).
    My hope is that the CAB labelled Boards will induce a new form of behaviour on MSE that of Amateur Welfare Rights Advisors, just as one would advise on Love Life-Agony Aunts, Chefs-Cooking, those who live life to share the benefits of making it work in some areas of their lives.
    These branded Boards with new behaviours, slower behaviours to exert a positive life giving influence on the Boards that does not in anyway condone Benefits Fraud.
    #TY[/B] Would be Qaulity MSE Challenge Queen.
    Reading whatever books I want to the rescue!:money::beer[/B
    WannabeBarrister, WannabeWife, Wannabe Campaign Girl Wannabe MSE Girl #wannnabeALLmyFamilygirl
    #notbackyetIamfightingfortherighttobeMSEandFREE
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    I too have felt uncomfortable about some unhelpful (but not bad enough to report) comments.
    I sort of presumed that in this section, we could pitch in as usual, but there would ALSO be an "official" CAB reply - which might take into account some of the issues raised by the "amateur" replies.
    As it's piloting, if it gets too unwieldy, then I suppose we may have a section in which only the CABs can reply.
  • kpwll
    kpwll Posts: 4,273
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I'd just like to add my good wishes and thanks to the CAB advisors. It is common knowledge that appointments are hard to come by (that is not a criticism) and a shortish wait for advice and/or help, without having to go out of your own home (in most cases) should be welcomed.
  • RuthnJasper
    RuthnJasper Posts: 4,032
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I think that this thread is an absolutely fantastic idea - extremely helpful; though I can see why it could easily be open to abuse/inadvertent misinformation.

Would it be feasible to set up something whereby the OP alone starts (and can go on to post further in) their own thread and then only official CAB representatives or MSE employees can post responses - perhaps logging in with a password to do so? It might be a bit over-complicated, but at least it would stop Trolls, Flamers or those who offer advice with the best intentions that is unfortunately inaccurate...

I still think that it is a worthy idea and one that deserves nurturing.

Best wishes. xx
  • RuthnJasper
    RuthnJasper Posts: 4,032
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Lady_K wrote: »
    Why is this thread bright yellow and bright blue rather than the usual green and light aqua? Are all of the threads going to be changed to this colour?

I might be wrong (!) but I think the yellow background with blue writing is official CAB livery and denotes that the CAB is participating in this thread. It also sets it apart nicely from the usual threads.

:)
  • John_Pierpoint
    John_Pierpoint Posts: 8,391
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I think the first answer should be provided by the CAB but after that other opinions should be allowed.

As the saying goes "If you want to learn something teach it". This interchange could be a training experience for CAB volunteers too.

Even CAB replies can be guilty of "assumption makes an a s s out of you and me".
  • CAB_National_Representative
    CAB_National_Representative Posts: 220 Organisation Representative
    Thanks to everyone for their ideas and feedback on our CAB board - which we welcome and appreciate. We will be regularly reviewing how we've set up the board and may change things in the future, in liaison with the MSE team.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure