Life insurance policy cancelled.

Welshzara
Welshzara Posts: 4 Newbie
edited 14 November 2018 at 8:21PM in Insurance & life assurance
In 2003 I took out CIC (critical illness cover) for my first mortgage. Then in 2006 I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis and I sent L&G a letter to say I had this diagnosis, L&G have this letter still. In 2009 I made an application for CIC when we moved, it was turned down due to my Rheumatoid- no surprise there. But sales rep called L&G who said I could get life ins but not CIC. Somehow I must have answered wrong or sales rep must have recorded wrong on a life insurance questions because the disclosure said I answered "no" to having joint problems. I certainly didn't answer this wrong on purpose, why wouldn't I want my young children to be looked after if I died? It was the same sales rep who phoned up L&G and enquired and said I couldn't get CIC because of RA but could get Life Ins, if he knew I had joint problems how did he oversee that I answered wrong on the joint question? Stupidly when the policy came through to sign I must have not read the forms correctly as I completely missed the question about joint problems and that I had apparently answered "no" to and stupidly signed it anyway. The only theory I have for this is that because the quote was doubled sided and not stapled together that I missed reading those sides. I am a stupid fool and It's my own fault. I accept the blame for that, but I do not accept that I knowingly answered the question wrong deliberately.
But I also remember the sales rep didn't seem to understand what RA was, he seemed to think RA was more of an injury than a disease.

All this was discovered recently during my claim for waiver for of premiums on my first policy. They have cancelled the second policy because they believe I lied on purpose in 2009 by not disclosuring my joint problems.

Does anyone know if previous quotes are saved by legal and general? Would it be on record that I was turned down for CIC because I had Rheumatoid? Would this show that I didn't purposely lie? Also they still have the letter in which I told them I have Rheumatoid in 2006, why was it not flagged up? I'm wondering if I was confused because the disclosure said I didn't need to disclose previous conditions. I feel like I've been made out to be criminal.

Should I ask for my data? Do you think it would hold the calls from the sales rep to them about my Rheumatoid? Will I be black listed from insurance companies? I don't even care about the policy, but I've been crying all afternoon, it upsets me to think they believe I lied deliberately.

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Does anyone know if previous quotes are saved by legal and general?

For about 30-90 days.
    Would it be on record that I was turned down for CIC because I had Rheumatoid?

With data protection act, probably not. However, no guarantee on that. Although the agent you used may have the records.
    Also they still have the letter in which I told them I have Rheumatoid in 2006, why was it not flagged up?

Don't assume computer systems match things up on unrelated policies. Especially over a decade ago.
    Should I ask for my data?

you can do.
    Do you think it would hold the calls from the sales rep to them about my Rheumatoid?

Almost certainly not after all this time and it being before the periods when calls were routinely recorded. But as SAR would confirm that.
    it upsets me to think they believe I lied deliberately.

Are they returning the premiums? If they are, then they don't believe that. If they are not then they do.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Welshzara
    edited 14 November 2018 at 8:20PM
    dunstonh wrote: »
    For about 30-90 days.

With data protection act, probably not. However, no guarantee on that. Although the agent you used may have the records.

Don't assume computer systems match things up on unrelated policies. Especially over a decade ago.

you can do.

Almost certainly not after all this time and it being before the periods when calls were routinely recorded. But as SAR would confirm that.

Are they returning the premiums? If they are, then they don't believe that. If they are not then they do.

Thank you so much. Yes premiums have been refunded.

Does anyone know if this will affect my ability to get life insurance with a different insurance company in the future? Will I be added to some sort of black list?

L&G said they wouldn't have offered me any life insurance with my Rheumatoid in the first place. So expect I won't get it with any company. Interestingly they agreed to life insurance at double the premium over the phone via my mortgage arranger fairly recently. But they insist it wouldn't have got through the under writers.
  • Weighty1
    Weighty1 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    No, you won't be blacklisted.

Just because L&G won't (or wouldn't) have offered you any cover doesn't mean that other companies wouldn't. L&G won't cover anyone who's had a heart attack but most other insurers will, depending on the severity. I expect the outcome they advised of with your mortgage arranger was more accurate than them not offering life cover at all. It does all depend on the full details of the RA though, such as whether there's any joint deformity, the level of disability it causes, the type of meds you are on, especially if these include immunosuppressants and/or steroid tablets.
  • Welshzara
    edited 14 November 2018 at 11:28PM
    Weighty1 wrote: »
    No, you won't be blacklisted.

Just because L&G won't (or wouldn't) have offered you any cover doesn't mean that other companies wouldn't. L&G won't cover anyone who's had a heart attack but most other insurers will, depending on the severity. I expect the outcome they advised of with your mortgage arranger was more accurate than them not offering life cover at all. It does all depend on the full details of the RA though, such as whether there's any joint deformity, the level of disability it causes, the type of meds you are on, especially if these include immunosuppressants and/or steroid tablets.

Thank you.
    Hopefully I can still get cover with someone else then
    Yes I was asked my meds during the phone conversation for the quote they gave my mortgage arranger recently and approved life ins, they just said my premiums would be doubled. But now insist that wouldn't have got past the underwriter. I disclosed my meds on the CIC quote in 2009, hence why it was turned down and I was offered the life insurance instead.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    As the premiums are being refunded, it means they are treating it as inadvertent non-disclosure. So, you are not being accused of deliberately doing it.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure