2»

Comments

• Uxb
    Uxb Posts: 1,340 Forumite
    I'm in a Thames Water region
    I have a relative in a Welsh Water region
    Thames water was privatized, Welsh Water remains in public hands
    Both houses are on meters.

Working it out for my consumption level I would be paying considerably more if I lived in the public owned Welsh water region that I do under Thames Water.

Now do you lot feel lucky and STILL want it all back under public ownership?
  • 2Protons
    2Protons Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Uxb wrote: »

Working it out for my consumption level I would be paying considerably more if I lived in the public owned Welsh water region that I do under Thames Water.

Thames water covers one of the most densely populated area of the UK compared to the whole of Wales so of course it will cost more money in Wales as there is more infrastructure that need to be maintained but fewer customers to pay for it.

Its the same with electricity although you don't see the fact infrastructure is more expensive in less densely populated area with telephone and until very recently with natural gas (the supply network was privatised in Great Britain as 1 company i.e National Grid Transco, who charge the same fee for the infrastructure but in the last 15 year started to split of into regional distribution companies this has gradually started to change)

You are aware that water isn't under public ownership in Wales (and neighbouring part of England) and was privatised in 1989 and is still privately owned.

Basically Welsh Water renamed itself to Hyder after it acquired the assets of the former SWALEC (South Wales Electricity Board).
    Western Power Distribution brought Hyder so it could get these electricity assets but did not want the Welsh Water assets or £1.85 billion debt so it sold these on for a £1 to a non-profit organisation set up for this purpose as a private company limited by guarantee; so it still technically a private company it just has no shareholders.

The only place where it is in public ownership in the UK are Scotland and Northern Ireland.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Uxb wrote: »

Welsh Water is not in 'public hands' read post#13 for an excellent explanation.

The most expensive charges in UK are in the South West Water are(mainly Devon and Cornwall). This area is at the opposite end of the spectrum to Thames Water's area i.e. huge area with low density population(1.7 million customers) and little industry.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure