PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,061
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Yesterday

In: corn cob
    Out: tiger bread
    Used up: nothing

Today is still a bit of a "work in progress"
    In: tattie scones
    Out: lorne sausage
    Use up: nothing
    Hoping to add salad & tiger bread to my "use up list" if dinner is as planned.
  • mrssd
    mrssd Posts: 67
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Crikey: You've managed to use a lot:T Yes: I also had bit of a clearout of stuff put in the freezer because we didn't like it. but didn't want to waste it. It just seemed daft to keep it otherwise. I dread to think how long some of them had been there!
  • mrssd
    Forumite
    caronc: Lorne sausage? You're a Scot! I haven't had that for years. Now I want some, preferably on a well-fired Scottish roll.
  • mrssd
    Forumite
    Wish I knew how to drive this forum a bit better. I'm not sure how to reply to individual threads when there have been a lot posted since my last visit. Still, I'll hopefully learn.

Busy weekend and I've managed to use up loads of stuff, thanks to the visit from one of my sons who is a bit of a glutton. But, the best bit of my weekend was when the weekly online shop was done. Instead of my usual £150 spend, which usually involves me shoving in a load of stuff whether because I fancy it, or it is on special, I only spent £60 and that included the mutt's treats. :j It was quite hard resisting the 2-for 1s, the half-price stuff and the flash sales, but I did it. I also discovered that my Morrison's points are worth nearly £100, so I'll save those for the big Christmas shop, which is definitely NOT going to be like last year. Even the dog got fed-up or eating turkey and, next-door's cat turned up his nose at some.

I made strawberry jam from the cheap berries I got last week, so I'll take a couple of jars for bartering when I go out shortly, but from the old stock of jams and marmalade: stock rotation and all that! I'm hoping to get some more smallish courgettes, or maybe a few tomatoes, although I did have the offer of some blackcurrants on Friday, which I love), but had to pick them myself (which I don't love). Maybe today, if it isn't too hot.

OUT: a pork loin; apple sauce. For tonight. I've cut the pork into medallions with the electric carving knife freezer blades: Who knew they would come in handy one day?:o If I get the courgettes, they'll go with it. I also unearthed a small frozen crumble (no label, so it could be any kind of fruit, but probably rhubarb) as OH likes his puddings.

IN: loaf of sliced bread. The only real overbuy that I bought online and by the time we get around to using it, it would probably have gone off - despite the "sandwich for his work colleague in exchange for cake or fruit scheme" starting this week.

Right. Mutt wants out! When I get back, I'm going to learn how to drive this forum so that I don't miss posts.
  • Hopeless_Case
    Hopeless_Case Posts: 949
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    mrssd wrote: »
    Wish I knew how to drive this forum a bit better. I'm not sure how to reply to individual threads when there have been a lot posted since my last visit. Still, I'll hopefully learn.

Busy weekend and I've managed to use up loads of stuff, thanks to the visit from one of my sons who is a bit of a glutton. But, the best bit of my weekend was when the weekly online shop was done. Instead of my usual £150 spend, which usually involves me shoving in a load of stuff whether because I fancy it, or it is on special, I only spent £60 and that included the mutt's treats. :j It was quite hard resisting the 2-for 1s, the half-price stuff and the flash sales, but I did it. I also discovered that my Morrison's points are worth nearly £100, so I'll save those for the big Christmas shop, which is definitely NOT going to be like last year. Even the dog got fed-up or eating turkey and, next-door's cat turned up his nose at some.

I made strawberry jam from the cheap berries I got last week, so I'll take a couple of jars for bartering when I go out shortly, but from the old stock of jams and marmalade: stock rotation and all that! I'm hoping to get some more smallish courgettes, or maybe a few tomatoes, although I did have the offer of some blackcurrants on Friday, which I love), but had to pick them myself (which I don't love). Maybe today, if it isn't too hot.

OUT: a pork loin; apple sauce. For tonight. I've cut the pork into medallions with the electric carving knife freezer blades: Who knew they would come in handy one day?:o If I get the courgettes, they'll go with it. I also unearthed a small frozen crumble (no label, so it could be any kind of fruit, but probably rhubarb) as OH likes his puddings.

IN: loaf of sliced bread. The only real overbuy that I bought online and by the time we get around to using it, it would probably have gone off - despite the "sandwich for his work colleague in exchange for cake or fruit scheme" starting this week.

Right. Mutt wants out! When I get back, I'm going to learn how to drive this forum so that I don't miss posts.

You're doing so well, inspirational :)

If you want to reply to loads of people in one post, click on the balloon icon to the right of the 'quote' button on each post, then click on 'post reply' and you'll have all of the posts you've selected and you can reply to each one, if that makes sense :)
  • Hopeless_Case
    Hopeless_Case Posts: 949
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    My freezer is still quite full (to be fair, I have got rid of a fridge freezer so it's amalgamated :p), but it's starting to get harder to find meals out of what's left now - most of the meat and fish has gone and it's mainly frozen fruit or bread-style bits, taken about 6 weeks to get to this point so can't be bad though :)

Out: Ready meal, several pitta breads, fajita wraps

In: Loads and loads of blackcurrants from parent's garden :D
  • Need2bthrifty
    Need2bthrifty Posts: 1,450
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    maisymoo5 wrote: »
    When I was veggie for 26 years, I couldn't eat LMc sausages as they were so salty! I always stuck to quorn ones Need2bthrifty.

Thanks maisymoo, I will try the quorn ones next time. I don't normally buy ready made stuff but thought I'd try them for a change as I do like to have a couple of meat free days per week.

Got some lovely dressed crab and herring at the market on Saturday so that kept me going over the weekend - but its back to freezer nosh today.

Out - sweet and sour pork.
  • dannie
    dannie Posts: 2,214
    Homepage Hero First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi, just finished all of my 3 batch cooked recipes that I set as my weekly mini challenge. (Just went over by two days). The oldest were made in January 2018 and the others, I think, last Spring.

Will go and pick some more black currants now and think of what next is best to do, regarding using up food "stocks".
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,061
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    mrssd wrote: »
    caronc: Lorne sausage? You're a Scot! I haven't had that for years. Now I want some, preferably on a well-fired Scottish roll.
    Guilty as charged m'lud though I had the lorne in a piece of stottie rather than a roll as my son brought some up the road with him. I developed a taste for stottie cake when I lived in Yorkshire many moons ago so it's handy to have a son working in the NE:).
  • maisymoo5
    maisymoo5 Posts: 137
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    In
    nothing

Out
    another pack of sausages
    a mini magmum
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories