IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

BW Legal Letter of Claim

I've just received a letter of claim from BWLegal for 'parking longer than the time paid for' in an NCP car park.

I'm putting together my response letter and will craft a response using the templates from LoadsofChildren123 and Daniel san. However, given that this was a ANPR monitored car park, should I not just use the ANPR template response from Coupon-mad? Or should I combine all three? It would make quite a large response if I used aspects of all of them!

TIA

Comments

• beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    jtotheb wrote: »
    I've just received a letter of claim from BWLegal for 'parking longer than the time paid for' in an NCP car park.

I'm putting together my response letter and will craft a response using the templates from LoadsofChildren123 and Daniel san. However, given that this was a ANPR monitored car park, should I not just use the ANPR template response from Coupon-mad? Or should I combine all three? It would make quite a large response if I used aspects of all of them!

TIA

Is it a LBA from BWL or the court ? and have they complied
    to the new protocal whereby they must offer you proof of
    their claim and give you 30 days to respond
  • jtotheb
    jtotheb Posts: 137 Forumite
    It's a letter of claim from BWL - pretty much identical to this one https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=74473294&postcount=8

except that contravention is 'Parker longer than the time paid for'
  • jtotheb
    There is no proof of claim included, although the original postal PCN I received from NCP included a picture of the car leaving the car park - presumably later than the duration of parking that had been paid for.
  • jtotheb
    OK, bizarrely I've just received an email from BW Legal as well - see text below. The bits I've blocked out are actually SOMEONE ELSE's name and reference number, not matching up to mine from the letter I've received! Surely this is a data breach of some kind??

Dear xxxx,
    This is an important message from BW Legal regarding your Parking Charge Limited account.
    We are trying to contact you regarding your account. Please call us as soon as possible on 0113 323 4497 quoting Reference "Txxxx".
    Our office opening hours are:
    Monday to Thursday 8am-8pm
    Friday 8am-7pm
    Saturday 9am-1pm
    If you wish to correspond about your account via email at parking@bwlegal.co.uk we can help but we would first need you to confirm some data protection questions. Please therefore advise us how we can help or provide details of any questions/queries and include:
    Our Reference "Txxxx"
    how we can help; or
    provide details of any questions/queries; and include
    your Full Name; and
    date of birth; and
    address including postcode; and
    contact number.
    You can also manage your account online by logging on to our portal at portal.bwlegal.co.uk. Once registered your account will allow you to: Create your online account today and take advantage of the flexibility the customer portal offers, allowing you to utilise all the features of the site at your convenience which are listed below:
    Create / view / amend your payment plan
    Create / view / amend your income and expenditure details
    View / amend your personal details
    View your account details
    View our jargon buster of legal terminology and how we can assist you
    Ask an online question
    Request a call back
    Talk to us via webchat
    Yours sincerely,
    BW Legal
    bw legal
    N.B. To opt out of email communication from BW Legal, please reply to this email quoting Reference Number "Txxxx".
  • beamerguy
    OH DEAR ... If this is nothing to do with you then it's a no
    brainer, advise the ICO of a data breach by BWLegal

Crazy company
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    advise the ICO of a data breach by BWLegal

Also complain about the collection of unnecessary personal details such as DoB and Contact number
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of contracts for alleged parking offences, aided and abetted by a handful of low-rent solicitors.

Parking Eye, CPM, Smart, and another company have already been named and shamed, as has Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each year). They lose most of them, and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P. for unprofessional conduct

Hospital car parks and residential complex tickets have been especially mentioned.

The problem has become so rampant that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers. Watch the video of the Second Reading in the HofC recently.

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41

and complain in the most robust terms to your MP. With a fair wind they will be out of business by Christmas.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 5 July 2018 at 1:50PM
    And a quick email to Steve Clark at the BPA, telling him that NCP are using a solicitor who have just breached data protection law by sending that email (attach it, and a copy of the LBC) and mention (as per IamEmanresu) about the collection of unnecessary personal details such as DoB and Contact number, and tell him you are reporting BOTH companies to the ICO.

steve.c@britishparking.co.uk

The good thing about a complaint to the BPA might mean NCP will scurry to cancel and brush it under the carpet then your claim is 'scam over'. Meanwhile the ICO may well still investigate - we do need to throw more complaints at the ICO, well worded ones.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • jtotheb
    Should I mention this email in my response to their Letter of Claim? Perhaps using it as leverage to force them to stop wasting my time and cancelling their claim? ie. say 'cancel it or else I'll complain to the ICO'?
  • beamerguy
    jtotheb wrote: »
    Should I mention this email in my response to their Letter of Claim? Perhaps using it as leverage to force them to stop wasting my time and cancelling their claim? ie. say 'cancel it or else I'll complain to the ICO'?

Bottom line is that these vermin are money terrorists
    so anything and everything should be thrown at them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure