Lock failing, is this acceptable?

Rented house through a letting agent.

I have just informed them that the barrel lock on our rear door is failing. It will currently lock, but the key is crunching around inside barrel, and if you unlock the door the key will not come out.

They have asked me to wait until the next house inspection (roughly a week away) before somebody from the agency will take a look. This is so they can make sure work is needed.

Bare in mind, the person doing the checking lives literally across the road.

I have said that I will wait, but if the lock fails to the point of not being able to secure the house, then more immediate action will be required. IMHO, leaving the house unlocked at night with children inside is not an option.

I thought I was being sensible by giving them notice before the lock broke, so they could get a more favourable rate from a locksmith. I imagine an emergency call out is fairly pricey.

Thoughts?

Comments

• lstar337 wrote: »
    Rented house through a letting agent.

I have just informed them that the barrel lock on our rear door is failing. It will currently lock, but the key is crunching around inside barrel, and if you unlock the door the key will not come out.

They have asked me to wait until the next house inspection (roughly a week away) before somebody from the agency will take a look. This is so they can make sure work is needed.

Bare in mind, the person doing the checking lives literally across the road.

I have said that I will wait, but if the lock fails to the point of not being able to secure the house, then more immediate action will be required. IMHO, leaving the house unlocked at night with children inside is not an option.

I thought I was being sensible by giving them notice before the lock broke, so they could get a more favourable rate from a locksmith. I imagine an emergency call out is fairly pricey.

Thoughts?

Replace the lock yourself?
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Or squirt some silicone lube in it.
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    _shel wrote: »
    Replace the lock yourself?
    Wouldn't be allowed. Any work has to be with approved contractors and with prior consent.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    lstar337 wrote: »
    Wouldn't be allowed. Any work has to be with approved contractors and with prior consent.
    They can't actually stop you changing the locks so that's an unfair term and can be ignored.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure