PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

HM Burgers!

Comments

• taplady
    taplady Posts: 7,184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi All !

I fancy having a go at HM burgers as DS2 loves em but have never done them before so any suggestions would be great ! :dance:

am off to work now till 10pm so will check out your ideas then !

Do what you love :happyhear
  • Ooooh let me think as it's a while since I made any. Finely dice some onion and sweat it off in a little oil until it goes translucent then leave to cool. Add this to your mince, along with a handful of fresh breadcrumbs and herbs/spices to taste. Add a beaten egg to help bind it all together then depending what size burgers you want to make divide up the mix into equal portions (I do about 6 from a pound of mince as we like them quite big) then make into burger shapes and pop in the fridge to chill for an hour or so before cooking. Grill or pan-fry as usual, whatever method you normally do.

Sometimes I make chilli burgers, so a teaspoon of chilli powder is added, or maybe some coriander and cumin to give that slightly curry flavour, and also add some freshly chopped coriander to add a bit of colour. The flavourings are purely down to personal taste but make sure you season well with salt and pepper otherwise they end up tasting quite bland.
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• chickadee
    chickadee Posts: 1,447 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Mmmmm... These sound good, and really easy. I am tempted to have a go myself. At least I would know what has gone into them, which is always a bit of a worry with bought ones.
    Sealed Pot Challenge #8 £341.90
    Sealed Pot Challenge #9 £162.98
    Sealed Pot Challenge #10 £33.10
    Sealed Pot Challenge #11 Member #36
  • chickadee wrote:
    Mmmmm... These sound good, and really easy. I am tempted to have a go myself. At least I would know what has gone into them, which is always a bit of a worry with bought ones.

I tell you what, once you've made burgers yourself you'll never go back to ready made frozen ones again! Get a decent quality mince and the flavour and texture is so much nicer, plus there's none of the crap and fat you get in ready made ones. I've cooked my burgers on the GF grill and not one drop ends up in the collecting tray, compared to a couple of tablespoons full with the processed ones _pale_
    ~

• Her Majesties burger? :rotfl:
  • I love HM Burgers and make them a lot!!

I always go for the finely chopped onions, 2 crushed garlic cloves and minced beef that has some fat on it (ie not the lean mince you can buy) as it helps the burgers stay more juicy.

Mix it all together with your hands and cook as you normally would - I always stick mine in the oven (190C for about 20 mins).

I also make a lovely lettuce mayonnaise to put in the bun with it - yummy!!

Shredded iceberg lettuce, chopped gerkins, chopped onion, a dollop of mayo and a smidgen of dijon mustard.

I'm getting hungry now!! :drool:
    Squares knitted for my throw ~ 90 (yes!!! I have finally finished it :rotfl: )
    Squares made for my patchwork quilt ~ 80 (only the "actual" quilting to do now :rotfl:)
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,864 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I often just make them from minced beef & onion

I also make meatballs in the same way and serve them with pasta and a tomato sauce
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Glad wrote:
    I often just make them from minced beef & onion

I also make meatballs in the same way and serve them with pasta and a tomato sauce

Yum! I make meatballs like that, but with rice - I know what I'm having for tea tonight! Thanks guys.
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If you want to make a veggie version would you just replace mince with dried or frozen veggie stuff or lentils and they would turn out nice? Or what?
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • Fran wrote:
    If you want to make a veggie version would you just replace mince with dried or frozen veggie stuff or lentils and they would turn out nice? Or what?

Having never made them I wouldn't know for sure, but a quick scout on Google turned up this website which has quite a few different veggie burger recipes so I'm sure you'll find something on there you could try :)
    ~

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure