ESE Solar Panel Free Health Check

Received a letter today marked "Important" from a company called ESE.

"Our records indicate you haven't received your free health check and service on your system and your warranty may be due to expire. Please contact our team to validate your warranty and book your health check"

The company is nothing to do with the installer of our system and I'm guessing is on a sales pitch to sell some sort of warranty. Quite what a health check on non maintenance panels will involve I don't know. Maybe I'm being too skeptical but the letter doesn't fill me with confidence. I'd hope if it was a genuine company it wouldn't be inducing some form of fault that then requires their assistance.

It also seems to suggest replacing inverters that are 5 years old with a new one with a 20 year warranty.

Has anyone had any similar contact from them?
Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.

Comments

• tunnel
    tunnel Posts: 2,588 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    No contact from said company here, but plenty of contact from similar companies via post and phone(where do they get our details from?) mainly pushing the virtues of retro-fitting SolarEdge, even when one of my systems already has SE and the other 2 are unencumbered by any shade. If it's by phone i usually waste a good 10 minutes or so of their time while having a bit of fun and being "dumb" before telling them to have sex and travel.....but not so politely!!

If someone's going to cold call me they better be ready....lol
    2 kWp SEbE , 2kWp SSW & 2.5kWp NWbW.....in sunny North Derbyshire17.7kWh Givenergy battery added(for the power hungry kids)
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,536 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 7 February 2018 at 3:31PM
    I had a cold call from someone with company initials - so may have been ESE last week saying they were in the area and were giving free health checks on panels etc.
    Quoted figures for how many businesses there had been fitting solar when the Govt scheme started and how many there were now! Also said their firm had been in business for over 20 years? and their largest installation was for Lloyds bank recently (somewhere)

Was I interested? ..No.... working on the assumption that there's no such thing as a free lunch or anything similar!!

Incidentally my flipping invertor packed in at 5+ 1/4 years! The new one has a 20? year warrenty

and I remember now he was talking about water heating, saving electricity to batteries and a whole lot of other stuff too.......
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks
    -Stash busting: 337 in 2022
    Stash busting: in 2023. 120 doggy duvets, 24 shopping bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lavender bags,36 crochet angels,9 woven bones, 1 crochet knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramid pouches = total 420...£119.50 spent- £114.50 earned= total spend £5. Total earned for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets, 24 pyramid pouches, 6 hot water bottle covers, 4 knitted beanies, 1 crochet angel= 58 £61 spent!!! already
  • tunnel
    tunnel Posts: 2,588 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Aaaarrrhhhh
    Just had someone call asking about cleaning my panels and servicing my system, he proceeded to ask how often i have had them cleaned, told him everytime that it rains but he said but it doesn't clean them properly and my generation would be affected......really.....you don't think i check my generation.....you don't think i monitor my generation.......you don't think i don't keep a check on my FiT and realise my panels are working perfectly ok with a quick rinse from the weather.
    His response....well you keep cleaning your panels with dirty water and put the phone down on me......and i never got to question him about how he'll "service" my none moving part system....

Ferking chancers....but how many believe the spiel and b****cks they come out with, it shouldn't be allowed(rant over)

Still want to know how they get my details?:mad:
    2 kWp SEbE , 2kWp SSW & 2.5kWp NWbW.....in sunny North Derbyshire17.7kWh Givenergy battery added(for the power hungry kids)
  • ASavvyBuyer
    ASavvyBuyer Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Makes me glad we have a phone blocker, so very unusual for a cold call to get through.

If they do get through, we just press a button on it and the number gets added to the blocked list.
  • pinnks
    pinnks Posts: 1,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    We just turn on some music, tell them we'll just put them on hold for a sec to transfer to the phone in the other room, then place the phone next to speaker and go off and do something more interesting - like watch paint dry, or watch the neighbour was the car or whatever...
  • pinnks
    Haha, got my ESE letter today. They even know I've changed my family's name to "Homeowner", though annoyingly they address me then as "Dear Homeowner". Clearly, I must take this important communication seriously :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I particularly like the paragraph that helpfully informs me that, "Almost all inverters that have been installed over the last 7 years have a 5-year warranty as standard. This means a huge proportion of millions of solar installations in the UK have expired" God rest their souls. What should I do? How do I know whether my installation has expired? Oh my, should I ring them to check?:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Oh, and apparently, inverter technology has advanced significantly since mine was installed and offer "many other benefits" which were unavailable when mine was installed including a 20-year warranty (for my expired installation?), online and remote monitoring and, wait for it, full solar PV upgrades. Wow, a full PV upgrade. Now I must surely rush out and get me one of those!!!

So, overall a complete bag of shxt!
  • Received same letter offering 'Free Health Check, Service etc' phoned the number to find that ESE Services want £20 a month to extend your warranty THEN you qualify for the free health check and anual service/maintenance etc. In other words, money for old rope!
    They're based in Liverpool and I'm down in Dorest, but ESE wouldn't reveal who exactly they'd use to conduct these checks and sevices etc, or who's liable for shinning 25 ft up a ladder and work on the roof.
    Its all a deceptive marketing and a scam, and I doubt ESE will replace faulty parts free of charge. Like most warranty/insurance schemes, you'll have an anual quota of costs/parts, say £1000, and after that you pay the rest. Seen it all before with Central Heating schemes.
  • I've had the same letter, plus phone calls from another company saying I'm due my "free health check that I've already paid for". I asked how they got my details (which were wrong! They had correct address but my next door neighbour's surname). They said from MCS. He then said they had someone in the area doing checks, could they come now - it would take 10 minutes and was free. I said no. He sounded quite put out and asked why not. I said I wasn't letting anyone in without doing research. He immediately rang off without another word.
    I was also suspicious of the ESE letter because of the greengrocer's apostrophe : ESE Consultant's Ltd
  • Yes we have had a letter as well, luckily I checked them out here and will bin the letter
  • pinnks
    Well, remove your address and recycle it of course:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback