PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!

Comments

• dolly84 wrote: »
    a pair of Victoria's Secret Knockout capris, they look unworn and still have that new fabric smell,

That is fortunate, as once you've smelled them it's too late to unsmell them if they had any other sort of smell.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Ah I remember the days of not wanting to be seen inside Charity Shops as a teen - and to think most of what we had was gotten out of them

We've a godfather who'd never been in - and even yesterday took him on a hike of his hometown, where he came back with books, and the lads a bit down as there had been no "heavy metal" CDs, but on the upside no Denby for them to lug...

I spent the morning with godfather's mum, knitting & trying again at nalbinding. I commend the hobby as portable, safe aboard airplanes and makes lovely celtic knotwork patterns even as it goes horribly wrong...
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    That is fortunate, as once you've smelled them it's too late to unsmell them if they had any other sort of smell.

Everything gets the sniff test from me and yes sometimes it isn't good.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • DigForVictory
    This is where I am so glad I a Denbyholic & it's my husband who hunts the clothes etc. I'm anosmic (no sense of smell) apart from bacon, cowsh!t and woodsmoke. (I think I must have hit my head at as a very young child!)
    No surprise, my chaps think it's a con, but then consider my cooking & reckon maybe I really have no clue. I can taste chemicals in the air, so have Strong Views on Lynx etc...
  • Potternerd
    Potternerd Posts: 367 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    A Fatface dress for £1,
    a Fatface suede shoulder bag for £10,
    a Joules horizontal striped heavy cotton shirt £2.50,
    a White Stuff pull on denim coloured linen skirt £6,
    a bracelet, silver with some inlaid shell rectangles; it was v tarnished and one of the inlays was missing, but DH has repaired that with filler and nail varnish, 75p,
    and a BNWT and packaging Silent Night luxury boutique double duvet for DS who is off to Uni soon.
  • I forgot how much I love charity shop shopping.... I think its more that you don't know what your going to find. My local charity shops are a little more expensive than others posted here. Books between £1-£2 each, Clothes anything from £2-£15, etc etc. Heres what I found recently
    2 Work Tops £2 each (I recently found that my office of around 4 people, all wear CS buys to work and they all dress well!)
    Jaegar Dress £4
    2 Books (£1.50 each :( - Would prefer them cheaper as I always return to charity shops what I read and I tend to read a lot! )
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,895 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Had a trip around the charity shops of Thirsk today and I found an unopened pack of 8 x transparent plastic shoe storage boxes....came flat packed, fortunately, for self assembly. Will tidy up my shoe cupboard nicely :) £2 from the BHF shop. Also had a rummage in a box of bits and pieces in the Sue Ryder shop and found a small round amethyst geode....no idea what I will do with it but I love it...only 50p too.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I'm anosmic (no sense of smell)
    I'm hyperosmic, and OMG smells really do bother me :( . Am known as the family bloodhound :o

Popped into the new Barnardos on the High Street today, and straight out again on account of the smell. Have always found the Oxfam bookshop in Marylebone High Street to stink of rancid brie _pale_
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • DigForVictory
    At least you know if your children have taken up smoking!
    A bookshop that smells of bad cheese - now that is clearly wrong. Whereas m'father comments that while having half a cowhide rolled in one corner of his office isn't entirely sensible, it helps his concentration as it reminds him of hours spent in assorted libraries. (Means I know where to go for a chunk of leather too...!)
  • klew356
    klew356 Posts: 1,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    What is b&h?
    I finally found something worth buying! Had a disastrous Saturday with my nearly new car and a hole in the radiator so I missed my hair appointment – once sorted it all out I popped to the hairdresser to apologise and there was a sue ryder just up from her. Popped in, books too expensive but found a bag brown leather good size.£3.45. still raging the books were overpriced.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure