Lady K's savings diary

Comments

• Day 22 of the first no spend month. I have had to lend my partner £60 today as he's running out of money, although he earns more than me. But I think it might be to do with the petrol he's spending commuting, he won't be paid back till the end of the month. He won't listen when I tell him that he needs to look at his finances and try a no spend month with me! We might be able to reach our goal quicker too.

I love internet banking. The best thing is being able to check your money without having to leave the house! I was going to do the £1 a day emergency fund, but I might just drop money in there every month if I have enough left over. I have £46.60 so far. It's always good to have just in case!

I've put a few extra bits in for charity this morning which totals it up to 31 things I have to get rid of. It stresses me out having so much stuff, and that there is always something to clean. Our kitchen cupboard is filled with stuff, but I just can't part with it. I might tackle it in a little while to see what I can do to reduce it.

Ooo! On an exciting note. I used our christmas present 'cake in a mug' at lunch time. It was actually really easy and a great christmas present. A very handy and cheap way to make a cake. I'm pretty bad at making cakes! :D

Lady K
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hello i think you are doing really well. It is quite inspiring and cheered me up. Find a free pdf on google for The Millionaire Next Door and make your partner read it. That book changed my life. He will appreciate then what you are doing.

I have no idea what a cake in a mug is but it sounds fab. Keep going you are doing brilliantly. Surround yourself with positive messages - have you found any good blogs and stuff that could reinforce your moneysavingness. I think BudgetGirl would be good for you she is on you tube and just so happy. It is really infectious.

Stay strong ok. We are v proud of you.:T
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • I took the dogs for a walk last night and found a charity bin next to the local gym, so after the walk I then put the 2 charity bags I had in there. Saved me driving to Tesco!

I have left over burrito for lunch today. Going to put some gravy in it as it can be a bit dry. Plus I made chocolate cornflakes for snacks which should last a few days.

Valentines day is looming on the horizon! I discussed with my partner that we should have a meal at home, I think we did that last year too. Cook our favourite meal together. The prices shoot up on Valentines day and we will be paying less for the food than in a restaurant, plus reducing the travelling there as well.

I am really enjoying this challenge. I very rarely go out, so it kind of makes it easier for me. I told the OH how much I can't wait to live in a house of our own. It's nice in the house we have, but the £6,000 a year that could go on a deposit or the mortgage is going into someone else's pocket. I'm trying to think about that when buying unnecessary items. So top tip, before you buy something you don't need, think about how much you have to work for it to get it!

Lady K
  • Happy 5 years on here for me! I signed up years ago and was just a lurker, now i'm on here a little bit more.

I failed today on my no spend month and spent some money on lunch. I just gave in to my hunger! £4 :(

I'm not sure I mentioned it, but we reached the £50 bonus at work yay! I thought it was the lower target = £30, so that was certainly a surprise. That's going straight into my savings.

My partner is strapped for cash atm, and i'm tempted not to dip into my emergency fund until I really need to. I lent him money, and then the big mobile bill came out because I went over last month. It's pay day Tuesday. I need to get petrol and we need to do a shop. But, although it's cold out there, i'm planning to walk 30 minutes to work and then the 30 minutes back over the next two days. I will probably end up taking the car!

I got my essay back, 70%!

Lady K
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Congratulations on your first! Well done on bonus. £4 is fine. I spent £3 the other day on Smarties and Mini Cheddars - food is ok I am sure. It's not like we bought anything really bad like clothes or shoes. Don't ya think?
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • Congratulations on your first! Well done on bonus. £4 is fine. I spent £3 the other day on Smarties and Mini Cheddars - food is ok I am sure. It's not like we bought anything really bad like clothes or shoes. Don't ya think?

:beer: Thank you for the kind words.
    I tried to spend as little as possible, but I was so hungry!
  • We hit the high bonus at work this week. Yay! That means I get £50 extra in my pay packet, that's £100 in bonus for next month as I got it last week too. Every bit will add up.

I've got to tidy the house today. It's a right mess. Partner was home all day yesterday but he decided to tackle his wooden dog area project. It looks really good.

I can't believe it's the end of January. Next onto a no spend February. I think that month will be a lot harder because it will be my birthday.

Lady K
  • Tidied the house yesterday. Decided I would save myself some time and do half the dishes whilst tea was cooking.

I have a doctors appointment this morning for a medication review. Plus I need to buy some more medication and up the dosage again, starting to become irritated again, not as much as usual but still enough to notice. :(

Not much left in the debit bank until i'm paid (tomorrow?). Only because I had to lend some to my partner. Work isn't paying him back for the petrol until February. As soon as they do that's going straight into my 2017 fund. I'm so happy I am doing the no spend, month by month. I have really seen a difference in how much I have left over. Makes me wonder why I didn't do this before!

Today's goals: doctors, read and do some studying!

Lady K
  • Happy February!

I've banked £250 from my no spend month. Yay! I am carrying on again this month and i'm excited whether I can build up the same amount or a little bit more. However, I might be going back home, so the petrol cost will be slightly higher for this month. :(

My tax code has also changed now to £11,000. But I should be getting a fair amount back from the tax people! Very excited about that. Last year I got £500 back, so i'm expecting the same this time.

We are having valentines day at home. Probably make a nice dinner and have a movie in. I've made a small card for my partner. I crocheted a red heart to stick on the card and will write a note inside as well. My birthday is on the 23rd, which I am hoping to go out for, which will probably require me spending money! But we shall see, plans might fall through and I might have to have a no spend day.

Current read: 'Elizabeth is missing'.

Lady K
  • snozberry
    snozberry Posts: 1,200 Forumite
    Well done in saving so much from a No Spend Month :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback