Good board games

Comments

• Is Axis & Allies any good?
  • For two players the game Patchwork is excellent, quirky and quick to finish.

I also recommend any and all of the games based on Terry Pratchett books, all excellent for more than 2 players and give you good laugh if you know the books.
  • Ozzuk
    Ozzuk Posts: 1,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I bought Forbidden Island after reading this thread (supposed to be saving money!) and played it last night. Pretty easy to pick up, thought it was easy and we were set up to win but lost Fools Landing. Quite a clever game.

Fun game.
  • PecanPie
    PecanPie Posts: 6 Forumite
    I absolutely love The Logo Board Game :D
  • redmel1621
    redmel1621 Posts: 6,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    ALIBOBSY wrote: »
    This thread makes for interesting reading, was always a big board game fan with my family when growing up and am trying to keep the kids into them as well.

Love the classics, but want to try some newer games as well.

Would love any tips on which games can be played by a range of ages, got the new version of game of life which has changed quite a bit and added extra bits, like miming etc which the kids loved. Kids are 5, 8, 13, and 17. Youngest can deal with game of life no problem.

Ali x

Hi. I thought I would reply because my kids are similar ages. (5, 7, 13, 15). In all honesty we mainly play board games in the evening, after the younger two have gone to bed, but two games that we have successfully played with the younger kids are Jamaica and King of Tokyo.

Our current games collection consists of:
    Ticket to Ride
    Settlers of Catan
    Shadows over Camelot
    Pandemic
    K2
    The cave
    Discworld
    King of Tokyo
    Dominion
    Jamaica
    Fluxx

Plus we have all the 'regular types of game' Monopoly, Smart !!!, Logo, Risk, Chess, Articulate, Othello, Trivial Pursuit, guess who and more.......

As you can see we love our board games :p

I have on my 'to buy list' Small World, Carcasonne, Settlers Star Trek... and loads more actually;):o

I use Board Game Geek, but I also like to watch DiceTower reviews on youtube :D

Mel x
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.
  • Jungle Speed...it's amazing!

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,407 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Is Axis & Allies any good?
    It is a more complicated version of risk - I like it, but you need other enthusiastic participants willing to give up at least a day to play it fully. Unlike Risk, there are a number of different types of units - naval and land based - which have different functions and limitations e.g. submarines for attacking ships, anti-aircraft guns etc. Takes a bit to get going but I'd say it is good for someone who likes risk and wants to take it to a higher level.
    A new game we've started playing is called Caverna - took a couple of hours to work through the rules, but once we got started it was great. Can be played on your own or up to 7 players. Basically a resource gathering game based on trolls living in caves. Worth a look.
  • robbyfine
    robbyfine Posts: 69 Forumite
    Chess is my fave:)
  • Chess is the best board game ever
  • JasX
    JasX Posts: 3,996 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Mammoth14 wrote: »
    Chess is the best board game ever

you really should try something more modern....
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback