VelvetFreak is saving up to buy a house!

Comments

• VelvetFreak
    VelvetFreak Posts: 573 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Spent all morning in the garage cleaning it out. It's not perfect but at least now I can fit the car in. Wheelie bin is full, so not sure where we will put our rubbish for the week :o

Am now feeling quite overwhelmed with the amount of crap that I've accumulated, the lack of storage and the amount of work that needs to be done in the house :( I know I'll get there eventually, but it will take a lot of time and effort. Anyways, I suppose I should crack on with the house work, I need to vacuum and mop, put another load of washing on and put dry washing away.
  • VelvetFreak
    Not a whole lot to report today. I found out about some changes that are happening at work that will make my role quite a bit more difficult. It’s really not that bad, but all the responsibility will fall on me and it’s a lot to take on.

In other news, I sold some clothes on eBay for $32, so I will put that to the House Savings once it comes through.
  • VelvetFreak
    edited 16 July 2019 at 9:09PM
    Well, I think it’s safe to say that my Mercury is officially in retrograde because I have been awake since 3AM! :eek: After laying awake for an hour and a half, I finally decided to just get out of bed. This is the 5th night in a row that I’ve slept really badly :(

Yesterday was payday, so $600 has been added to the House Savings + $10 from the clothes I sold on eBay (I accidentally let a subscription of $14.99 come out that I had meant to cancel, so only $10 left over after I paid for the postage :mad:). New total is $2560 :j

I have work today and then I’ve got four days off. Thank goodness.

Off to update my signature and reply to everyones’ diaries :D
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,026 Forumite
    Sometimes if a subscription is taken out and you cancel immediately, they will refund. I got that with a magazine and with Amazon Pr!me. It's worth a try.

I am sure you'll get the hang of the changes at work and before you know it you'll be taking them in your stride and thinking your job as it now is, is boring. I watched my husband do this over the years: there's a settling in period in which he gets the hang of it and it can seem too much, but eventually he is ready for more challenges.

Well done on the sales. :)
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • VelvetFreak
    Didn’t have any luck with trying to get my money back for the subscription :(. Oh well.

Have been enjoying my two extra days off and now it’s the weekend. Yay! :D

I got my tax refund back. It was $1050. I have spent $150 on a second hand treadmill and have put the remaining $900 into the House Savings. New balance is $3460 :j

MrVF is coaching basketball this morning and wants to go clothes shopping afterwards. I will go with him and try not to spend any money, as I’ve already spent most of my allowance and there’s 10 days left until payday :o

Off to update my signature and spend 30 mins on the treadmill :A
  • VelvetFreak
    Cherry I shouldn’t have been quite so cryptic with what I said about the changes that are happening at work. The work itself I am fine with, it’s one particular coworker that makes everything difficult due to poor work ethic, doesn’t adapt to changes well, bad attitude in general, etc. I have talked to my boss about it but he doesn’t seem overly keen to take any action. It has really been stressing me out and I had a big cry about it to MrVF last night. I’m pretty much at my wit’s end because there’s nothing I can really do about it.
  • Oh, that sounds rough, Velvet. Is your work tied to colleague's work, as in, do you have to deal with the extra drama head-on each day?

I've had a few like that in my time, and honestly, the only thing that works for me is to emotionally disengage completely. Which is hard, as it's still a human being, doing humany things, in front of you every day. Not sure I can articulate it very well, but instead of thinking "Argh, Useless Colleague has failed to do this AGAIN", you think "Ah, I see Useless Colleague has - as predicted - failed to do this. I will inform manager (if necessary), adjust my plans, and then move on to the next task.".

best of luck xx
    Was MFW, now Early Retirement Wannabee... Mortgage: still going down. Pensions: still going up.
  • Cherryfudge
    That's not a nice situation, Velvet, and must be stressful especially as your manager doesn't seen to be being helpful.

Is it just you and this colleague, then?

And did you manage to restrain yourself from clothes shopping? :)

• VelvetFreak
    Flora - The majority of my work is tied to hers. We do different tasks for the most part but must work together to get the bigger picture completed. She drops the ball and then I am left scrambling to fix things. Her answer to these mistakes is that she’s just “not very good at it” and laughs it off, and says that I should be the one to do it because I am “better at it”. There are also tasks that she has decided she does not like doing, so she just doesn’t do them (like answering the phone). She barely does anything as it is, so I am reluctant to take things off her and do them myself, because that’s exactly what she wants.

Cherry - It’s just her and I who are there full time and another person who works part time but does different things to us. I survived clothes shopping and didn’t buy anything. MrVF had a great shopping day and got lots of bargains.

Yesterday at work was actually good. I’ve decided that I will just accept the Annoying Coworker situation and try not to get too mad about it. It’s just not worth stressing over. It’s a great job and the pay is good, and my boss and other coworker are both great, so I have a lot to be thankful for. Thanks to all for listening to my work rants :D
  • Cherryfudge
    Acceptance - for those who can manage it! - is a wise move. Less stressful. It really does sound as though that particular person is in the wrong job, but even in the right job, could do with a kick up the backside.

Well done for not buying clothes! I find I get drawn in - nothing for months then suddenly I 'need' all sorts (including a bigger wardrobe).

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport