Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 16th Jun 19, 4:29 PM
    • 4,422Posts
    • 9,116Thanks
    TallGirl
    What to offer on this house and should I offer to buy the owners furniture.
    • 16th Jun 19, 4:29 PM
    What to offer on this house and should I offer to buy the owners furniture. 16th Jun 19 at 4:29 PM
    Dear learned friends
    You are all excellent when it comes to looking at properties and making comments hope you can help me too.

As you may have seen I have my property SSTC for three weeks buyers mortgage approved and he is selling to FTB. I've not been to look at anything until yesterday not to tempt faith. I'm in no rush and I'll keep my rental place in London so very flexible. I've only ever bought a new build so this is new.

Went to see this house: ( link is from when it was listed one year ago but it is on Rightmove too.

https://www.onthemarket.com/details/4928782/

Price is now £400k and it does appeal to a limited market as not child friendly nor elderly friendly in terms of steps. It suits us perfectly although I'm not fussed about the pool would rather have a hot tub.

Owners are buying a boat so no chain and I would like to offer on this property as the agent said there was interest claimed there viewings this week. Most houses around that area seems sstc within one months so this one is about right in terms of length on the market if we disregard last years listing.

It is within my budget but I would like to do some work to the garage, side garden and fit wooden floors in the lounge, hall and dining room. Nothing very costly but nice to have. I actually like the rest apart from the weird shower room but that isn't urgent to sort out. I'm sending my other half's uncle to view it again Tuesday and check out about central heating and roof as we forgot to ask them.

There is white noise from the motor way but not massive as it close to a junction. Also the pilon isn't in view from the garden nor does the wires cross. There is lots of new build going up and I will check if land up to the motor way will be built on too.

Apart from that

What to offer now is the question?

Also I need furniture as were keeping a place in London and I actually like the stuff the owners have such as the lounge furniture and the beds plus possibly desk. Thinking they are going on a boat they will most likely need to get rid of everything. Need washing machine too and fridge plus freezer.

Would this complicate things or is it better just to make an offer or say this is my offer plus I will buy the furniture.

Also please have a look and see if I've missed anything awful it really looked in good condition and well maintained. They have owned it for many many years.

Any help comments etc appreciated.

Also looked at this one

Beaulieu Avenue, Portchester
    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-72160231.html

They are building 250 homes at the bottom of the road plus it's tiny

This one we also saw nice but lots of work very similar location against the motor way

PENTLAND RISE, PORTCHESTER
    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-72144976.html
Page 2
    • Albala
    • By Albala 22nd Jun 19, 3:28 PM
    • 283 Posts
    • 267 Thanks
    Albala
    Just thought I would update on how I got on as I really appreciate the advice. I offered £375k not accepted, went back with £380k then agent said they wanted £390 but will take £385k so I agreed. They are moving into a small flat so there will be chain but they won't need all the furniture. I'm quite happy now it's just the tedious waiting to exchange might have to join that thread.
    Originally posted by TallGirl
    Thanks for the update, it's always nice to hear how things turn out. And good luck with the move.
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 22nd Jun 19, 5:00 PM
    • 1,554 Posts
    • 1,815 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    That's a good result.

For the benefit of newbies, if you had needed a mortgage, the standard advice here would be don't add the furniture cost to the mortgage but do it as cash.

No point getting a 25-year loan for depreciating assets no matter how good the rate of interest.
    Originally posted by zagubov
    The mortgage company would deduct the price of the furniture from their offer.
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 10th Jul 19, 6:17 AM
    • 4,422 Posts
    • 9,116 Thanks
    TallGirl
    New questions after survey please
    Rather than start a new thread I hope it's ok to ask a few more questions. I offered £385 and I was accepted I've now had the survey back and there's 2 3's on the homebuyer survey as well as the usual electrics hasn't been tested for 10 years.

The 3 is no banisters in the Hall way which we knew but also the windows are at the end of their life. This is the property https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-71729395.html. Everything else is 1's with no concerns there's not even a mention of the motor way or pylon which I will point out doesn't cross the property the mast is near by the the wire cross straight back over the motor way.

The survey also says the value is £380 in their opinion.

Questions as a newbie buyer (only ever bought a new property 25 years ago)

I got £15k off the original asking price do I just suck up the £5k as I could have spotted those things at the viewing (and did)? I don't need a mortgage by the way.

I haven't had a draft contract yet with the forms the buyers fill (sorry can't remember the name) in nor the searches back assume it best to wait for all of that before going back to them with a potential reduction.

How much would new Windows cost there doesn't seem to be a lot and all the doors are fine?

Final question I would like to get the state of the pool checked out are there any pool companies who will do surveys or check things out the surveyor obviously didn't look at the pool. Like this sort of things although they aren't local to me. https://www.bluecubepools.co.uk/pools/pool-renovations-and-refurbishments/swimming-pool-surveys/

Thanks in advance guys.
    Last edited by TallGirl; 10-07-2019 at 6:29 AM.
    • babyblade41
    • By babyblade41 10th Jul 19, 7:42 AM
    • 873 Posts
    • 1,072 Thanks
    babyblade41
    To be honest the pool would put me off, we had quite a large one for many years but the heating and upkeep was a pain.

Then trying to fill it in if it isn't used a great deal , it is expensive and not quite so straightforward. as throwing some hardcore and type one .

I think the survey in itself is Ok but you could ask for the extra reduction or they throw in the furniture for no dded extra
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 10th Jul 19, 11:52 AM
    • 4,422 Posts
    • 9,116 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Thanks that’s a good idea re the furniture they are now buying a flat after having been told there was no chain so might need some of it.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 10th Jul 19, 11:58 AM
    • 36,588 Posts
    • 22,530 Thanks
    getmore4less
    Rather than start a new thread I hope it's ok to ask a few more questions
    Far better to resurrect the thread and keep it all in one place.
    I remember this one as will many, saves repeating info and links etc. to get people upto speed.

Did you ever get the costing for running the pool?

I think with the location and the pool they would have very limited set of buyers.
    Last edited by getmore4less; 11-07-2019 at 6:31 AM.
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 10th Jul 19, 12:11 PM
    • 4,670 Posts
    • 8,868 Thanks
    Murphybear
    Does it have to be in Portchester itself? I did a quick Rightmove search and there are over 100 4 bedroomed properties max £400k within 3 miles and over 200 within 5 miles.
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 10th Jul 19, 9:32 PM
    • 4,422 Posts
    • 9,116 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Yes I would like to stay in Porchester or Downend Fareham that's important. Just found out today the surveyor spent a total of 19 min at the property for a homebuyer survey isn't that a bit short for a fee of £375? God I hate this already so confusing to try and do the right thing.
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 10th Jul 19, 9:36 PM
    • 4,422 Posts
    • 9,116 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Far better to resurrect the thread and keep it all in one place.
    I remember this one as will many, safe repeating info and links etc. to get people upto speed.

Did you ever get the costing for running the pool?

I think with the location and the pool they would have very limited set of buyers.
    Originally posted by getmore4less
    We were told £65 on chemicals and as it's not heated it's not massively expensive. My friend who has a hot tub confirmed his bills didn't got up by much when he got it.

I know nothing about pools that I admit totally. Agree this is a house that won't appeal to many but it Paul's suit us. It's so strange the identical one just one road further down the hill is still trying to get over £400 he has dropped from £425 at least. Exton Gardens, Portchester
    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-62469093.html This is the one minutes away from the one I am buying.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 11th Jul 19, 7:07 AM
    • 36,588 Posts
    • 22,530 Thanks
    getmore4less
    Do you need planning for a pool?
    might be worth checking.

Also there seems to be a side extension to the left which the other place does not have, is that just external storage?
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 11th Jul 19, 9:21 AM
    • 4,422 Posts
    • 9,116 Thanks
    TallGirl
    The side extension is a shed only no mention of it on the survey is that normal? I know the surveyor don’t look at pools?
    • badger09
    • By badger09 11th Jul 19, 3:04 PM
    • 7,006 Posts
    • 6,632 Thanks
    badger09
    Do you need planning for a pool?
    might be worth checking.

Also there seems to be a side extension to the left which the other place does not have, is that just external storage?
    Originally posted by getmore4less
    Every day's a school day here

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/140/swimming_pools/2

I have a house with an outdoor swimming pool which was here when we bought it nearly 20 years ago. We live in a Conservation area but I don't remember any mention of planning consent. I should check

Its a very marmite thing. Husband loves it - I don't! Originally it was heated by solar panels, but along with several other things here, they had been bodged so we got rid. It does have heating but we haven't used it (that's probably why I don't like it)

Chemicals cost seems about right. Pumps and filters don't last forever so I think a survey by a reputable pool company would be a good idea.

There will also be cost of topping it up each summer as we part drain it in October to fit its winter cover. However, our metered water bills here are still substantially below what we paid unmetered 20 years ago

I would think very seriously about buying a house with an outdoor pool unless you intend to use it a lot. It will put a lot of people off buying, when you want to sell.

Not recommendations but try someone like this?

https://www.completemaintenance.co.uk/

http://www.ambassadorpools.co.uk/
    Last edited by badger09; 11-07-2019 at 3:10 PM. Reason: links added
    • Alan2020
    • By Alan2020 11th Jul 19, 3:39 PM
    • 327 Posts
    • 248 Thanks
    Alan2020
    OMG, with that pylon, I think vast majority of buyers would be put off. A win of heart over head.

I await a future thread why my house hasnít sold for an year!!

I donít even need to go there to not want to buy the house even at half price. Surveyor needs to see pylon as even the lack of a house wonít matter.
    • Littleonesunshine
    • By Littleonesunshine 11th Jul 19, 4:50 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Littleonesunshine
    Why would you pay for their furniture? It’s not great
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

742Posts Today

7,141Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter Poll: Being honest, do you take into account the environment impact when you choose to book a flight?

• RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Do you need to show your boarding pass at the airport? And how to make 'em pay you for doing it... https://t.co/g5biFxotXF

• Follow Martin