Deprivation of assets

Options

Comments

• lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,615 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What else are you going to be spending that kind of money on if you’re in a care home?

Clothing (would say that’s essential)
    Toiletries (essential)
    Spectacles (essential)
    Travel/shopping (may be wheelchair taxi)
    Books/cds
    Xmas/birthday gifts for family
    Haircuts (a lot of ladies have weekly shampoo and set)
    Chiropodist (if you can’t reach your toenail)
    Manicures of the pamper variety

This is all based on actual experience

Also that’s the top threshold above which you pay ALL fees.
    There is a lower one below which you pay none.
    In the middle you contribute, so you still contribute above £14k

Oh and also (from real experience)

Life insurance for funeral
    Court of protection annual fees (if you have a deputy)
    Court of protection insurance

The last two are for people who didn’t agree a power of attorney in advance,

Hope that helps
  • lisyloo
    Options
    If you have no family a basic funeral is fine, and you certainly don’t need to leave an inheritance!

I think it’s fine to say the last 26k can’t be taken from you but it’s ridiculous and cruel to stop someone of sound mind spending their own money on their own quality of life!

So in theory someone who is perfectly comfortable and happy where they are, maybe even good friends with other residents, could be forced to uproot to somewhere worse even though it wouldn’t save the council any money, just to stop them spending their own?

How has nobody taken this to court yet!

Court won’t help.
    A private home will not take you if your funds are limited.
    £26K is limited is terms of care fees.
  • lisyloo
    Options
    £26,000 pays for a lot of haircuts and soap.

The state pension alone could cover most of that, it’s a poor excuse for denying people the right to spend their money on staying in what has become their home,

No one is denied it.
    But you won’t force a private business to take you if your funds are limited.
    They don’t want to be stuck with someone if you run out of money.
    Private homes are entitled not take you if you can’t prove you won’t run out of money.
  • onwards&upwards
    onwards&upwards Posts: 3,423 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This will to a certain extent be covered in a financial assessment at the point of first needing residential care. A lot of self funders will only have funds to last a short time, so placement should ideally be in a LA approved home that takes both private and LA funded residents so a traumatic 2nd move can be avoided.

If you have a house worth, say, £300,000 (which is not that unusual with the way house prices have gone crazy) and you pick a care home with fees of even £1500 a week, which is quite high I think, then your house capital alone will pay for 200 weeks, nearly 4 years, without even taking into consideration any other savings or private pensions.

If it was me or someone else I cared about I wouldn’t compromise based on the chances of living longer than the cash would last!
  • onwards&upwards
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »
    No one is denied it.
    But you won’t force a private business to take you if your funds are limited.
    They don’t want to be stuck with someone if you run out of money.
    Private homes are entitled not take you if you can’t prove you won’t run out of money.

But you are denied the right to pay top up fees from your own funds. I presume this is the case even with a private pension income that could cover it?
  • lisyloo
    Options
    So at what point are you forced to move? If it’s when you literally don’t have enough money to afford staying where you are then that is understandable, but posters were giving the impression you’d be forced to leave cash sitting in the bank for non existent heirs while being evicted out of your chosen care home into a council one!

A common route is that people end up in hospital after a fall and then will not be allowed back because they are not safe.

You don’t have to leave it for heirs (I don’t agree with that).
    You’re allowed £14k for your ongoing costs, travel, funeral etc. And £25 per week for soap/clothes/hairdo/outings.

A private business will not take you on.
    It’s not the council refusing it, its the private business won’t take you on as you will run out of money and they’ll be stuck with you and can’t just throw you out on the street I.e. you’re a liability to them.
  • onwards&upwards
    Options
    Clothing (would say that’s essential)
    Toiletries (essential)
    Spectacles (essential)
    Travel/shopping (may be wheelchair taxi)
    Books/cds
    [STRIKE]Xmas/birthday gifts for family[/STRIKE]
    Haircuts (a lot of ladies have weekly shampoo and set)
    Chiropodist (if you can’t reach your toenail)
    Manicures of the pamper variety

This is all based on actual experience

Also that’s the top threshold above which you pay ALL fees.
    There is a lower one below which you pay none.
    In the middle you contribute, so you still contribute above £14k

Oh and also (from real experience)

[STRIKE]Life insurance for funeral[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]Court of protection annual fees (if you have a deputy)
    Court of protection insurance[/STRIKE]

The last two are for people who didn’t agree a power of attorney in advance,

Hope that helps

With no family you can cut a fair few of those out straightaway.
  • lisyloo
    Options
    But you are denied the right to pay top up fees from your own funds. I presume this is the case even with a private pension income that could cover it?

Sorry I want totally clear.
    You are not denied it by the council.
    You will be denied it by private businesses who won’t take you on.

You need a source if funds that will last the rest of your life
    E.g. a family member acts as guarantor.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,587 Forumite
    Options
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    When my mum went into such a swanky private care home, there was no assessment at all. Othe homes may of course have different rules.
    She also had a 6 week "waiver" on paying fees immediately (they were still due) to be able to put her house on the market or otherwise raise funds if she didn't immediately have the money to hand (I suppose some might have had to sell investments)
    As she died after about 4 weeks I never got to see what would happen if the money ran out, as it was a private run home I'm sure she would have been moved into a cheaper council one and I woudl have expected no less.

Surely, if the owners of the home were agreeing that facility (to raise the money) they knew she had sufficient assets so that was a form of assessment in itself.
  • onwards&upwards
    Options
    A common route is that people end up in hospital after a fall and then will not be allowed back because they are not safe.

You don’t have to leave it for heirs (I don’t agree with that).
    You’re allowed £14k for your ongoing costs, travel, funeral etc. And £25 per week for soap/clothes/hairdo/outings.

A private business will not take you on.
    It’s not the council refusing it, its the private business won’t take you on as you will run out of money and they’ll be stuck with you and can’t just throw you out on the street I.e. you’re a liability to them.

I’m not talking about leaving your house/flat though i’m talking about having to move from the care home you chose (and can still afford to pay for) to one you didn’t choose.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure